Old School Snow Removal

We've had about 32" of snow over the last 5 days, it's been keeping me busy. Open it up in the day and it drifts back closed overnight. Using an old mid-70's Sears garden tractor with a blower which I bought 20 years ago for $250, for 17 years this was all I had to deal with the snow. Few years back I picked up 99 Dodge with a plow which does a lot of the work but the blower is still better for cutting through drifts.

Your tractor looks like a Cub, is that who built them for Sears?, FYI here in frozen Minnesota it will be in the 40's much of this week, with 50's this weekend, and thats after a mild January with plenty of days in the 30's, the only snow we have is either where it was plowed, shoveled, or in the shade, and the ice on lakes is already getting dangerous, weird winter for us.

that's a god awfully long driveway..glad it's you and not me clearing it.

i'd rather have a house closer to the street. or a heated driveway.......

:1036316054:
Looks beautiful to me, nice job too! It looks like you got a shiny new seat on that tractor, and a pat on the back for making it last that long. You mow all of that?

Your tractor looks like a Cub, is that who built them for Sears?, FYI here in frozen Minnesota it will be in the 40's much of this week, with 50's this weekend, and thats after a mild January with plenty of days in the 30's, the only snow we have is either where it was plowed, shoveled, or in the shade, and the ice on lakes is already getting dangerous, weird winter for us.

Think they were made by Roper, would have looked like this when new.
1975st16.jpg

We had a couple storms in early Dec and then not much until the last 5 days, it's been cold though.

:1036316054:
Looks beautiful to me, nice job too! It looks like you got a shiny new seat on that tractor, and a pat on the back for making it last that long. You mow all of that?

Original seat, starting to crack a little. Was running on one cylinder when I bought it, just needed plugs. Over the years I had to replace a couple of idler pulleys on the chain drive for the auger and a pulley mount needed welding, put a brass float in the carburetor cause the old composite floats deteriorate in the new gas, put tubes in the tubeless tires that wouldn't hold air, other than that just routine maintenance. I mow all around the house and barn, the lower field part out front I do a couple times a year with one of these.

DRFAB3.gif

that's a god awfully long driveway..glad it's you and not me clearing it.

i'd rather have a house closer to the street. or a heated driveway.......

I get it, it's not for everybody. I've always loved winter, I like being out in it, Saturday we had 4", I went out and walked 3 miles in the middle of it.

Original seat, starting to crack a little. Was running on one cylinder when I bought it, just needed plugs. Over the years I had to replace a couple of idler pulleys on the chain drive for the auger and a pulley mount needed welding, put a brass float in the carburetor cause the old composite floats deteriorate in the new gas, put tubes in the tubeless tires that wouldn't hold air, other than that just routine maintenance. I mow all around the house and barn, the lower field part out front I do a couple times a year with one of these.

DRFAB3.gif
That's a funky looking machine there.

Aaahhh Roper, a company name I have heard of...I believe that they once made a lot of stuff for Sears, washing machines, dryers, lawn and garden equipment, maybe even chain saws. I never saw anything with their name on it, don't know where they came from and don't know where they went to. You'd be hard pressed to get that kind of life out of today's merchandise. MTD is the big name about town these days...Sears. John Deere, Cub Cadet, Troybuilt, Husky (TSC brand), and more roll out of the MTD factory, wherever that is.

I get it, it's not for everybody. I've always loved winter, I like being out in it, Saturday we had 4", I went out and walked 3 miles in the middle of it.
good god almighty..i was out supervising the shoveling, as i cannot do that anymore...i hated every minute of being out there, when a perfectly good tv was waiting on me......lol

frankly, even as a kid, i HATED winter........and i'm a January baby.....!!!!!!

That's a funky looking machine there.

Aaahhh Roper, a company name I have heard of...I believe that they once made a lot of stuff for Sears, washing machines, dryers, lawn and garden equipment, maybe even chain saws. I never saw anything with their name on it, don't know where they came from and don't know where they went to. You'd be hard pressed to get that kind of life out of today's merchandise. MTD is the big name about town these days...Sears. John Deere, Cub Cadet, Troybuilt, Husky (TSC brand), and more roll out of the MTD factory, wherever that is.

I think MTD is Murray, they been making tractors for Sears for decades. I agree, that is a funky looking machine, it's a DR Field & Brush mower from the early 90's, super rugged machine with a Briggs and Stratton Industrial engine. Can knock down saplings with it and the high wheels make it excellent for going through ruts and rough terrain.

I think MTD is Murray, they been making tractors for Sears for decades. I agree, that is a funky looking machine, it's a DR Field & Brush mower from the early 90's, super rugged machine with a Briggs and Stratton Industrial engine. Can knock down saplings with it and the high wheels make it excellent for going through ruts and rough terrain.
MTD & Murray are two different companies. They both manufacture mowers for Sears/Craftsman, Walmart etc. They are made quite different. Your toy does resemble a Cub Cadet color but the shift lever location looks like MTD. I don't think IHC/Cub Cadet manufactured it. It looks more like a Simplicity which was manufactured by Allis Chamlers. I had a simplicity mower I bought for $100. The owner thought it had a bad engine.. The problem was the muffler being too close to the fuel tank & was percolating the gasoline.
We don't have much snow here but I was in Northern Maine in the military working on snow plows, snow blowers & dozers. I got acclimated to the cold while I was there but I would have difficulty adjusting now.

All that beautiful snow is why I left Michigan for New Mexico, thirty-six years ago. Post some pictures this summer. It looks like you have a really nice home, and you should be proud of it.

Last edited:
MTD & Murray are two different companies. They both manufacture mowers for Sears/Craftsman, Walmart etc. They are made quite different. Your toy does resemble a Cub Cadet color but the shift lever location looks like MTD. I don't think IHC/Cub Cadet manufactured it. It looks more like a Simplicity which was manufactured by Allis Chamlers. I had a simplicity mower I bought for $100. The owner thought it had a bad engine.. The problem was the muffler being too close to the fuel tank & was percolating the gasoline.
We don't have much snow here but I was in Northern Maine in the military working on snow plows, snow blowers & dozers. I got acclimated to the cold while I was there but I would have difficulty adjusting now.

Made by Roper. Which ended up becoming Husqvarna.

Roper was a manufacturer of lawn and garden equiment in the US during the latter half of the 20th Century. Roper began building outdoor power equipment in 1966 when the George D. Roper Company purchased the former David Bradley manufacturing works from Sears. Roper continued to supply lawn equipment to Sears for the next thirty years. In 1989, Roper was purchased by General Electric (GE) and Roper outdoor unit was sold to AB Electrolux. Roper became part of their American Yard Products (AYP) division which included the Husqvarna brand. This division was later established as its own company using the Husqvarna name.

S C, you're right about Roper, these tractors were built for Sears in S.C. in the seventies.
The SS twin had 16hp Onan engine,later they added an oil filter and called it 18hp.
My son still has one my dad bought in 1973 with 16 hp 2cyl Onan.
They were pretty much bullet proof little tractors.
Sears also sold what was called Suburban tractor with Tecumseh or Briggs engines.
I knew G E aquired them at one time, didn't know about Husqvarna.