Old Trucks From The Past

White.

8381514188_2d004d2830_b.jpg

I think I drove one of these early in my career. It caught on fire while I was going down the road so I put the fire out while I was getting over on the shoulder. Once I got out and started walking I looked back and every light on the beast was flashing. This was between Altus and Lawton Oklahoma on route 62. I think it was a White 400 with a 220 or 250 Cummins in it.

Some time back the current owner decided the truck needed modern electronic controlled power, so he wedged a Cummins Red Top into it. Everyone said it couldn't be done, that it wouldn't fit. He had to raise the hood mount a few inches and move it forward an inch or so to clear the cooling package and allow for the engine cooling fan.

But it all fits, and the truck has plenty of torque.

Note the aluminum frame, and custom fabricated air to air piping and cooling plumbing.

9247298599_cbb33db0e4_b.jpg

9250085714_4cb71f6c18_b.jpg

Just about anything can be done if you want it enough. I think the original engine had an aftercooler so the air to air cooler had to be installed but you get the mileage with an electronically controlled engine. What was the original engine?

Boy oh boy....not many of these old Dodge Trucks around. I remember when the agreement between Dodge and International was "We will quit making big trucks when you stop making pickups". And they did.

I love these old trucks! Every one of them have a story. I tried once to explain how the old 2 cycle diesel worked to a young man and I think it gave him a headache....just like driving one.

Company I worked for in NC partnered with Volvo and bought the first truck built in the USA and the 500,000th one
02-Volvo.jpg

I remember the first Volvo I ever drove, I was actually training in it. People would get in, look around and go "Wow, this is way better than that Kenworth I was in last week". Nice rig. Now I am driving an old Albertson's anteater....and there is nothing older!

I took these at the MATS in 2006. (I discovered half way through our vacation that there was a finger print on the lens of my new camera.)

100_0029.jpg

100_0027.jpg

100_0034.jpg

100_0033.jpg

100_0022.jpg

6bdcde91.jpg

b2011484.jpg

Nice Guardrail. Someone really went to a lot of trouble to polish up that Freightliner cabover. I bet it blinds everyone on a sunny day!