Older Drivers

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by Coldhearted, May 29, 2017.

1. Coldhearted

Coldhearted Member

Will Dayton hire older driver's with experience?

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Yes, especially with solid LTL experience.

3. Lazer

Lazer lied to again

Depends of your definition of 'Older'
    The industry as a whole has changed what a 'desired' driver is from 30 years ago.
    Long gone are the days a company sought the 'stable employee w/family', the ever increasing cost's of health insurance, vacation and personal days for legacy employee's has the newer generation of company ownership (you know, the kids that taken over from Dad, and/or Uncle) wanting a different demographic of their workforce.
    What is more palatable to any trucking company now is drivers at the opposite ends of the 'driver pool'.
    A 23 year old, single, 1st job. Someone that figures out after a couple of years the driving sucks, and quits.
    Also the driver that is over 60, divoreced, retires after 5 years.
    Both drivers are company owners wet dream. Neither have children that will strain the company's health insurance, school functions, wives that want the driver home on a certain day, etc., etc.They also wont upset the seniority apple cart at the yard.

4. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

5 of the last 6 drivers hired at my barn are in their 40s or 50s, if that helps. I don't know what @Coldhearted 's definition of "older" is. I would guess they'd probably hire the right guy over 60, assuming he could actually do the job.

I get your reasoning, @Lazer , and I'm sure those would be "ideal drivers" from a financial perspective, but what I've seen (again, just at my barn) is that they're mainly concerned with clean records and a good work history. They shy away from job-hoppers and anyone with two or more tickets because they don't want to invest money training grass-is-greener types and they also don't want to bother hiring someone who is on the bubble right off the bat.

5. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

As the driver pool shrinks, choice of the type of employee you desire will narrow to the point you will take anything, as long as you have someone to grab hold of the wheel. von.

coondogg likes this.
  6. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I agree, but I'll give you a recent example. One of our drivers referred an ex-coworker who had over a decade of LTL experience and was known for being a real good worker. The problem was he had 2 minor tickets in the previous 3 years, so the TM decided to pass on him so he wouldn't be in danger of being fired if he got another. He was encouraged to apply after the older ticket dropped off.

Despite the industry relaxing their standards in general, Dayton is still pretty selective. Starter OTR companies will take anyone, but most LTLs can still afford to be somewhat picky. However, I do realize everyone has relaxed certain standards over the years.

7. BuzzBeez

BuzzBeez Extraboard Crazy

Dayton is VERY selective. I recently received their " Regrets from Dayton Freight" e-mail that they would be passing on my application. As my driving record is practically flawless and I'm baffled by this. 45 years experience with 15+ in LTL. NO tickets or accidents for about 20 years. Million Mile awards from ATA. Live close to terminal. What could be wrong, my age 65? No specific reason from them.

icuicp likes this.
  8. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Sorry to hear that, @BuzzBeez. Who knows why they sometimes pass on qualified people. What happened with Estes? I remember you on their forum when I was trying to get on there several years back.

9. BuzzBeez

BuzzBeez Extraboard Crazy

Extra board burnout coondogg. 8 years was enough. Miss the big bucks though.

icuicp and coondogg like this.
  10. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I don't blame ya. I certainly couldn't do extraboard. Despite good dough and not sleeping in a truck, it's too much like an OTR gig for me.

11. havinsomefun

havinsomefun Member

How about R+L?

12. Roadprowler

Roadprowler New Member

What is the open board at Dayton like? How long are you away from home? do you get home during the week or gone all week?

13. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

We have very few "system" (extraboard) drivers who are out all week and stay in hotels. I don't think they typically make it home in the middle of the week, at least not at my terminal. We have one system driver out of the 16 total linehaul drivers at my barn.

The rest of us have set bids or are "open" drivers, doing different stuff every night or filling in on a set bid for a week while that driver is on vacation. We get home every morning, and the money is just as good as many extraboard drivers make at other companies. Also, the old runs where a lot of drivers stayed in hotels have been replaced by meet points to accomplish the same moves without all the hotel costs they used to incur. The added benefit is that the vast majority of us are home every day.

14. Roadprowler

Roadprowler New Member

Thanks again. If it works the way you say where i want to get in that would be awesome. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

coondogg likes this.