diagnostics, and safety and fuel efficiency
metrics. We currently are completing the installation
of these recorders in our NSH and ATL fleets
and have planned to have the systems installed
on the remainder of all our tractors over the next
full calendar year. Our NSH pilot showed a 3.5%
mph improvement just through changing shifting
behaviors and practices

Anybody using those things full time? I drove an ATL truck stuck in DLS for one trip. The EOBR was live. Apparently when one dispatches out the computer matches up with the truck and activates the unit. My driver info was on the thing when I started up and was in the process of hooking trailers. It was watching the efficiency of the shifting pretty close and could give mpg and mileage based on what was run.

it still gets me that they are so worried about fuel milage, but those ex sleeper trucks we have now do not have the full fairing package on them, the tires we use have horrible rolling resistance, and they will run these trucks 40,000 miles between oil chnges.

There is a introduction video link on the Employee Information Center. It speaks to the concept of progressive shifting and also breaks down the different areas of what the in cab display screen shows to the driver in terms of how the truck is operated.

from the Saia Marketing Department

» The introduction of Electronic On-Board Recorders
(EOBR) to the Saia tractor fleet bring with
them the capabilities for Electronic Hours-of-Service
(HOS), Electronic Vehicle Inspection Reports
(VIR), GPS real-time positioning, remote maintenance
diagnostics, and safety and fuel efficiency
metrics. We currently are completing the installation
of these recorders in our NSH and ATL fleets
and have planned to have the systems installed
on the remainder of all our tractors over the next
full calendar year. Our NSH pilot showed a 3.5%
mph improvement just through changing shifting
behaviors and practices

Drivers wil be the first one's to hate the devices. As time goes on and drivers will recieve "tickets" from corporate for running over their hours. Later as drivers refuse to run over the hours available (even 15 minutes) corporate will start letting drivers become "available to the industry" for "failure to comply", corporate will soon learn to hate these little tattletell devices, but by that time (years from now) drivers will continue to being forced to "foot the bill" for these ingenious inventions.

think i will ignore it as well like most do. i progressive shift anyway when it makes sense....but i'm not gonna jam the brakes while coasting down a hill to keep it below 1500.