Once in a while it's fun!

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Oh it's only money and it was meant to be spent and saved and all the other good stuff that happens.
Today I bought this totally cool, 2002 Chevy Astrovan (Did you just use the words cool to describe a Chevy Astro Van?) *Yes* I also sold my brothers 2000 Cadillac El Dorado today especially yesterday after the oil pan gasket seal broke and the car leaked about a half quart of oil all over the pavement. Sold it today for $400.00 pretty much junked it essentially.

Anyhow the past is done. Here's the thing I run a small town car business with my friend and he uses our Chevy Suburban well having one car is okay, but it doesn't leave any spares and I like to have a spare for a couple reasons. A extra capacity for the business if we need it, but also say my truck has to go to the shop or our Suburban breaks down well now we have nothing to fall back on. Well I still need a car to go to work so now I have an extra. If you can afford it, even if your only one person I would recommend having more then one car, you know don't get the same car though. Like I own a 2000 F-150 a 2005 Chevy Suburban and a 2002 Chevy Astro Van LT. 2 of those 3 vehicles have 4x4 capabilities and also major haulage capabilities. Not to mention all three have tow packages and can tow trailers.

Now the Astro van wasn't major bank breaking money less then $6K. It was a good buy for one it had all the features including leather seats which is really rare for a factory Astrovan that's not some 3rd party conversion. Also it had rear heat and AC control as well as rear stero control and the guy had a bunch of other work done to it as well with all maintenance records. Pretty turn key so I said yes this is a winner.

It's the van behind the Suburban.
X2gvWUw.jpg

There's a AWD Astro out in my garage right now, its the 2nd one I've owned, the first was a 1994 AWD that I sold to my nephew when it had 200000 on it and he drove it another 4 years up in hilly Duluth Mn and loved it in the winters, the one now is a 2000 with only 110000 on it, I've had 4x4 pickups right along, but it must the way the weight is distributed with the van because they really get through the snow of winter better than a truck.

45gylHs.jpg

its good you mentioned that. The guy I bought this van from said the short wheelbase was really good for getting through the snow and stuff. This van is just the rear wheel kind, but the guy I bought it from said it was still pretty good in the winter.

I was playing around in this van today and it's amazing actually how much room they have inside of them. They look like nothing on the outside yet inside they actually have a lot to offer.

Last edited:
There's a AWD Astro out in my garage right now, its the 2nd one I've owned, the first was a 1994 AWD that I sold to my nephew when it had 200000 on it and he drove it another 4 years up in hilly Duluth Mn and loved it in the winters, the one now is a 2000 with only 110000 on it, I've had 4x4 pickups right along, but it must the way the weight is distributed with the van because they really get through the snow of winter better than a truck.

Kboomarang, did you ever thing and I think this all the time with the Astro's. On the outside they don't look like a whole lot, yet on the inside while there pretty basic in a way, they have quite a bit to offer in terms of comfort. What I find interesting is you can fit 8 people and all there luggage in one. There is a good good good solid amount of space between the 3rd row seat and the back doors, you can fit a lot of stuff in there. From the outside it doesn't look like much, but you open that thing up and it's amazing to me how they were able to pack so much space into the inside.

I mean my Uncle had one and you could load a skid or two in the back of that van. It's designed to fit a 4x8 piece of ply wood. If you took all the seats out and opened up the doors a 48"x48" skid of what ever could be loaded into that van by a tow motor.

We actually used them both for road trips over the years and there is more room than you'd think, and have also taken all the rear seats out, the rear is made to come out easy but and mine has two bucket seats behind the front seats that each have just 4 nuts to take off and that's pretty easy.

We actually used them both for road trips over the years and there is more room than you'd think, and have also taken all the rear seats out, the rear is made to come out easy but and mine has two bucket seats behind the front seats that each have just 4 nuts to take off and that's pretty easy.

I have a Chevy Suburban LT it's the silver one and I swear the Astro can fit just as much inside of it as the Suburban. I said anything a Chevy Suburban can do the Astro van can do. When I bought the Astrovan on Saturday the previous owner said "I wouldn't hesitate to drive this van anywhere. You could drive it straight to California."