Holland | One Board

jarhead13

TB Lurker
Credits
I would like to know everyone's opinion on barns going to one board. This is the only way I can see to make things better since the creation on the UE.

I agree and have felt that way for a long time....I work at yellow and can only hope with our merger that this would become a reality.

I agree with one board, but what about terminals without the UE? 1 board at the Memphis barn would put the shaft to our Road Drivers. I'm a city man, #6 on the board, so it doesn't effect me either way.

For us terminals that currently have two boards, I think cutting it to one board would cause all kinds of problems.

For us terminals that currently have two boards, I think cutting it to one board would cause all kinds of problems.
I could be wrong but most of the problems would be Managments. All they can ever come up with is how its always the Teamsters fault chit don't work becasuse of our work rules, ect. Take that away and what have they got to blame stupidity on? I vote 1 board and senority rules and we can sit back and watch the circus.

P.S. Not my board so I did'nt vote in your poll guys, just sticking my opinion where I have no business.:smilie_132:

I need help here!

We have two boards here. I assume that in order to go to a single board, we would make a single master seniority list with linehaul and city together. Everyone gets dovetailed together. But, lets say there is 50 drivers total. The company needs 25 city and 25 linehaul drivers. Does everyone get to pick what classification they want, until all positions are filled? Does the bid still change at normal intervals? (every six months here) Can you go back and forth between classifications every six months if you have enough seniority? Don't brow beat me for looking for clarification on this. We have never had one board here. Just wanting clarification from someone who has it. Thanks.NF

# 1 problem with 1 board is the thought of some of our road drivers trying to work city or dock. It wouldn't hardly be fair for some of these guys down here (ME), that have been road drivers for life to have to run a peddle in down town Memphis.

1 Board

Here in DS we have always had a single board, bidding every 6 months, and you can jump back and forth as you please. Also if a new bid is posted you can jump in or out in the middle of a bid cycle as long as you did not pass on that start time prior. The long time road driver bumped in the city is the nature of the beast. But for the most part 1 board is the way to go for us. Boomer

# 1 problem with 1 board is the thought of some of our road drivers trying to work city or dock. It wouldn't hardly be fair for some of these guys down here (ME), that have been road drivers for life to have to run a peddle in down town Memphis.
Good point. I was just thinking about some of our linehaul guys trying to climb into the back of a trailer.:hysterical: But, then again, I can't even see a few of our CITY guys climbing into the back of a trailer without the help of a forklift.:hysterical::hysterical:

Here in DS we have always had a single board, bidding every 6 months, and you can jump back and forth as you please. Also if a new bid is posted you can jump in or out in the middle of a bid cycle as long as you did not pass on that start time prior. The long time road driver bumped in the city is the nature of the beast. But for the most part 1 board is the way to go for us. Boomer
Thanks Boomer. That doesn't sound too bad. I bet the lower seniority don't care for it though. Thanks again, NF

Hilarious

Good point. I was just thinking about some of our linehaul guys trying to climb into the back of a trailer.:hysterical: But, then again, I can't even see a few of our CITY guys climbing into the back of a trailer without the help of a forklift.:hysterical::hysterical:
Come on Flash, don't you know that's who we give the liftgate trailers to:hysterical

I agree! It's easy to say now, when it's in a road drivers best interest, that it should be 1 board. Where was this concern before the creation of the UE? (which, I might add, was voted upon, knowing this was to be a city position)

I agree! It's easy to say now, when it's in a road drivers best interest, that it should be 1 board. Where was this concern before the creation of the UE? (which, I might add, was voted upon, knowing this was to be a city position)

only thing wrong with what ur sayin though .... the IBT the locals told us the UE thing would not affect the road bids, road runs or road work (before the contract was signed dude).. they lied brother soooooo ...... things changed dude using road work to make utility soooooo ........ things changed it was a :nutkick: for the road dude .......... sooooooooo .....what do you think :duh:

Maybe you road guys don't know that this UE was forsed on us because they said Nat'l voted it in and we didn't have a choice but to accept it. I agreed to a job and a contract with two boards. If you couldn't forsee what would happen, that is not my problem. Brotherhood is all fine and dandy but now some road guys jobs are gone because of the UE. I feel bad, do you feel bad for me? I am sitting home right now on layoff even though numbers (%) of overtime allowed by our contract says I should be working and my local doesn't give a S*IT !! Best of luck too all but it is our union leaders that sold us all a P O S contract local and national. Maybe if the economy turns around things may get better. Until then, tie a big knot in our union rope, put on some good workgloves and HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE !!:sadwavey:

Two boards!!

We have always had 2 boards in PN. You can go back and forth when there is an opening,with full seniority after year and a day. The whole road board and the whole city board had the option of going either way when jobs wher posted. The road drivers had the chance to come in the city when there were openings, they all passed. We hired off the street. The city board had the chance to go on the road,they all passed,we hired off the street.

The city board already takes laid off road drivers and puts on the bottom of the 90% board if there seniority holds them there. Weekely guaranteed 40 hours. When a laid off city man went to the road, bottom of the open board no guartantee. Even though our top 10%ers have more seniorty then the laid off road drivers,they will work before them.

It seems the road drivers really want the best of both worlds. Would this whole topic even been brought up 3 or 4 years ago?

ABF has had this PSE or UE what ever you want to call it for years and they run a split board with no problems.

Maybe, that would have been the best thing, a third board? The problem with the third board would have been that, in the near future, every road job would have been abolished and there would have only been the UE board and the city board anyway. As long as a road man would have been able to stay on the UE job he would have be OK, but if he would have had to leave the UE board for some reason and didn't have a road job to go back to, he would have gone to the bottom of the city board. Let's all remember that this isn't something that we should get mad at each other about but something we should be mad at the company and our Union leaders for selling us on, knowing full well what was going to happen. In very little time there will only be one board anyway, in my opinion, because the company will abolish all road jobs and every road man will have no choice but to bid to the UE position. The main issue with going from two boards to one board, in LO is, in my opinion, that its been this type two board system for over thirty years, that I know of. Now is it fair to people that have been doing it this way for so long to be forced to change without voting on it? There have been several people that have went from the road board to the city board and vice-versa. They are only allowing people to use their current bidding seniority, is that fair? Just throwing my two cents in to the discussion. One board would be great and the most fair way of doing things if you could only do it without penalizing the men that have went back and forth between the two different boards, thats not the option here. Like I said, in my opinion, there will be only one board in the not so distance future anyway because the road board bids will be abolished and rebid to UE jobs. Its not what we were sold but its the way they're trying to do things now.

P.S. Oh, by the way, we don't have the year and a day here, so its a little different for us, than other places.