Holland | One Board

I am or have lightened up!!!:duh: I am not upset about nothing!! It’s funny when I joke around on hear everyone gets upset. For the record if my post upset you I am truly sorry, I meant no harm.:hide: I have worked for a few companies that have gone out of business and have a lot of respect for seniority; it is earned not just given to you, along with respect. Back to the topic at hand, my opinion is or was, is that one board seems to be the fairest to all involved.

Again, I am not upset about nothing!!!:smilie_132:
It's hard to show humor through a computer screen. Just making sure nobody thought I was dogging the physically challenged!:highfive:

I agree with you about the contract language. However, the scope of the UE position was explained by the company and the IBT. The method that it has been implemented greatly differs from the intended use. I believe the only way to save jobs at this point is to concede that the Company and the IBT convinced to many people to believe their lies and move on to a compromise that will help all freight Teamsters. My opinion is that one board will be the only way other than going back in time, to make this fair. The road board will mostly be UE positions in the future. If we go to one board we can all bid on city start times, UE jobs, and road jobs. Things may be different where there are two Locals or where a barn has a year and a day. The Road Drivers at barns where there are no options are plainly screwed.
Good point. That may be our only option now. :1036316054:

In GR we do not have year and a day or one board. I worked in the city for almost 10 years, before coming out on the highway. I have always been for the idea of one board or year and a day. That being said, I knew when I came out on the highway I understood i was going to start at the bottom of the board, but I still had my master seniority for layoff. This I could deal with. Now comes the part where I have a problem. The proposal being offered by the company says that when the UE is first offered it will be to linehaul, then city at their first bid, which in our case is April. If nobody takes UE it will be forced from the bottom. Well due to all the layoffs I find myself near the bottom of the board which means I could be forced. Then in April when the city bids I could be bumped of the UE and my only choice is the bottom of the city board. This means I lose my road senoirity and city seniority, that is 12 years with the company that gets me nothing. We have greivances filed already on this proposal before it gets the rubber stamp from the IBT. We are not asking for the best of both worlds, only something for the time we have spent with the company. We have , I beleive, 30 drivers in our barn with split seniority. Why should we have to start over at the bottom for a company we have benn with for many years? Does this seem fair? or are we really turning into every man for himself?
Good example Doogie. I have heard guys say that this "proposal" is the only fair thing to do. But, they need to look at the fact that it benifits them on the first bid, but then they can get trumped on the next bid, which would really hurt them. They just don't look ahead that far. Good post.:1036316054:

UE

I have no problem with road drivers taking the utility positions. I think road drivers are really the only ones that should get them. That being said maybe they need to establish a third board.

I have no problem with road drivers taking the utility positions. I think road drivers are really the only ones that should get them. That being said maybe they need to establish a third board.
Why are they the only ones that should be entitled to them? There is no restriction on the type of freight handled, or work performed. The UE could, at some point, be mostly city work. Do we (city guys) really want to give up all our rights to these positions, only to find out the company came up with a new "plan" that makes the UE mostly city? You cant just look at what is currently happening, you also have to be prepared for what could happen. Things change.

The two thirds that voted this "best contract ever" in must of had a different opinion.If it`s city work it`s city work period.

The two thirds that voted this "best contract ever" in must of had a different opinion.If it`s city work it`s city work period.
Exactly! 67% of the MEMBERS voted the "CITY WORK" language in. This is too big of an issue for the suits to be allowed to change in a back hallway. Whether YOU voted it in or not is not important. What is important is that it IS in the contract! :tribe: If your against the language that is in the contract, you should take a step back and realize that you are in the minority. For the record, I am in the minority. I have disliked this contract from the get go. But, I have accepted that I am in the minority. That still does not give anyone the authority to change a contract that was voted in by the majority. Just my opinion.:hide:

Exactly! 67% of the MEMBERS voted the "CITY WORK" language in. This is too big of an issue for the suits to be allowed to change in a back hallway. Whether YOU voted it in or not is not important. What is important is that it IS in the contract! :tribe: If your against the language that is in the contract, you should take a step back and realize that you are in the minority. For the record, I am in the minority. I have disliked this contract from the get go. But, I have accepted that I am in the minority. That still does not give anyone the authority to change a contract that was voted in by the majority. Just my opinion.:hide:
As much as I hate to admit it, you cold weather lovin' freak up there in the North Pole, I have to agree with you. Even though I may be f'ed in the end it is a contract that was voted on. As long as the contract is implemented the way it was written and passed its hard to argue it. So far, I dont know!:furious:

If I wanted to be a City Man I would have stayed there 17 years ago. I like 2 boards

If I wanted to be a City Man I would have stayed there 17 years ago. I like 2 boards

I voted no. My point is that every Local and the IBT explained the language in the contract different than it is stated. The contract was voted in, most people thought they were voting on something else. Go back and read the mailers that the IBT sent out. It is unfortunate that our Brothers did not read the contract proposal. On the other hand, I understand that they trusted their elected officials. Maybe they will learn from this that you must educate yourself.

with vince there two boards city// road.i was city man myself and if wanted to been a roadman i start out as one in the 1976. stay true keep two. i still say ue is a bad thing road is road city is city but thats from old man thats retired and out of it. but eu here to stay and the only way it's every going away is the companys wants it gone fighting about is only playing in there hands if you want it gone make it show that it not making any $$$$$$$ thats all the companys know is cost

Then I am sure that you can understand the frustration of us that voted no and are out of jobs anyway. Having one board does not make you a city man. I just means that each job will be bid on by the master seniority list from each barn.

OK, the way it has been explained to us in LO, that is where there are two different boards, city and road.

If you started with Holland as a city man and then went to the road, after lets say two years. You would have given up your two years city seniority and started on the bottom of the road board. After you have been on the road for ten years, they now hang a UE bid. You bid on the UE and get it. You then go to the city board with your ten years of road bidding seniority. It is what your bidding seniority is no matter which board you are on when you are awarded the UE bid. You would bid in April with ten years seniority, you will be dovetailed on to the city seniority board, where ever you fall with your ten years. You still have twelve years company seniority but only ten years of bidding seniority. The people that are hurting the most are guys that may have five years in with Holland and changed over to a different board in the last year or so. They go below people that have been on the same board, city or road, longer than they have been on which ever board they are now on. It works the same way no matter if you went from road to city or city to road. Who knows what will happen next?

you've always had the option to bid to Road or city before new hires but I feel that you should transfer with your seniority.. UE hmmm isn't that a Road driver replacement?

you've always had the option to bid to Road or city before new hires but I feel that you should transfer with your seniority.. UE hmmm isn't that a Road driver replacement?

I think the main issue with many people is because its been the same way for I know over thirty years, talking with the old guys. Maybe its hard to change it after its been one way for so long?

OK, the way it has been explained to us in LO, that is where there are two different boards, city and road.

If you started with Holland as a city man and then went to the road, after lets say two years. You would have given up your two years city seniority and started on the bottom of the road board. After you have been on the road for ten years, they now hang a UE bid. You bid on the UE and get it. You then go to the city board with your ten years of road bidding seniority. It is what your bidding seniority is no matter which board you are on when you are awarded the UE bid. You would bid in April with ten years seniority, you will be dovetailed on to the city seniority board, where ever you fall with your ten years. You still have twelve years company seniority but only ten years of bidding seniority. The people that are hurting the most are guys that may have five years in with Holland and changed over to a different board in the last year or so. They go below people that have been on the same board, city or road, longer than they have been on which ever board they are now on. It works the same way no matter if you went from road to city or city to road. Who knows what will happen next?
I keep hearing that the road drivers are getting the shaft if they follow the "UE work is city work" language. But on the flip side of that, if the proposal is authorized, the city guys get the shaft. Here is how. (for those who don't agree) The city man with 9 years on the city board can get bumped down from the 10 year linehaul guy. The city man didn't plan to get bumped either! Both ways stink guys. There is no fair way to either side. My opinion.

I keep hearing that the road drivers are getting the shaft if they follow the "UE work is city work" language. But on the flip side of that, if the proposal is authorized, the city guys get the shaft. Here is how. (for those who don't agree) The city man with 9 years on the city board can get bumped down from the 10 year linehaul guy. The city man didn't plan to get bumped either! Both ways stink guys. There is no fair way to either side. My opinion.

I would agree with that if it were not for one thing. The union philosophy has always been seniority is everything, and I'm pretty sure that means company seniority, not board seniority.

I agree! It's easy to say now, when it's in a road drivers best interest, that it should be 1 board. Where was this concern before the creation of the UE? (which, I might add, was voted upon, knowing this was to be a city position)

You are right on the money T02, Hey if you get a chance ask that JO linehaul
steward (the big guy) about what he said about the UE before the vote. "Nothing wrong with it, our wages & our HW&P will be going up and that's whats important" or words to that effect. I wonder if he still feels the same way:1036316054:

GBA:USA: