ABF | One irrefutable fact

nothumbleenough

TB Lurker
Credits
Lots of items are subject to debate such as will YRC purchase ABF? How would the details be worked out in such an attempt like seniority or closed terminals? Will ABF even come back to the table considering the months it took to negotiate this contract. Or is ABF just bluffing and ready to immediately counter-offer any such rejection. No one can say without "speculating" how all of this will work out. But there is one "fact" every single Teamster must consider before voting for or against this contract.

ABF is losing money. The numbers are public and the information is easily attainable. Since 2008, ABF has lost (net income) -133 Million. It lost 7.73 Million in 2012. ABFS Annual Income Statement - Arkansas Best Corp. Annual Financials

Its competition is doing much better.

Old Dominion has made (net income) 488 Million in the last five years. 140 Million in 2011 and 170 Million in 2012. ODFL Annual Income Statement - Old Dominion Freight Line Inc. Annual Financials

Conway has made (net income) 146 Million in the last five years. 104 Million of that was earned last year. CNW Annual Income Statement - Con-way Inc. Annual Financials

Fedex Freight, the largest LTL had record revenues in excess of 5.2 Billion while earning 162 Million in 2012. please review page 22 on http://fedexannualreport2012.hwaxis.com/Files/FedEx_Annual_Report_2012.pdf

Our former partner in the NMFA, YRC has lost 2.44 Billion the last five years. However, its losses have narrowed to only 140 million in 2012. I can't explain how this company is still in business but it is clearly a competitor of ABF and its position as the low-cost freight hauler has significantly impacted price recovery for every LTL. YRCW Annual Income Statement - YRC Worldwide Inc. Annual Financials

The trends are noticeable if we can see past our personal biases. If ABF doesn't get some sort of concession on a five year contract, it will be forced into another direction that will lead to dramatic cost cutting so it can be a profitable company again. Please review the sources on everyone of my links. This is a very difficult decision for everyone. Good Luck!

YRC is not really a low cost carrier. When you factor in the debt they have to service they are actually a high cost carrier. They have reached a point they have enough liquidity for day to day operations but the debt prevents them from showing a good profit

ABF has high labor costs which prevents them from competing for certain levels of discounted freight and making a profit on some freight they do carry. They could improve profitability by reducing terminals and manpower like YRC did but service would be impacted. ABF will not rest until the labor cost is greatly reduced

If the contract is rejected they might follow thru with their threat of gutting the network with a significant reduction of the labor force. I don't think this is what they really want to do. I think they would lock you out to get what the really want

concessions-reduced-labor costs similar to what YRC has

YRC is not really a low cost carrier. When you factor in the debt they have to service they are actually a high cost carrier. They have reached a point they have enough liquidity for day to day operations but the debt prevents them from showing a good profit

ABF has high labor costs which prevents them from competing for certain levels of discounted freight and making a profit on some freight they do carry. They could improve profitability by reducing terminals and manpower like YRC did but service would be impacted. ABF will not rest until the labor cost is greatly reduced

If the contract is rejected they might follow thru with their threat of gutting the network with a significant reduction of the labor force. I don't think this is what they really want to do. I think they would lock you out to get what the really want

concessions-reduced-labor costs similar to what YRC has

Yrc is the king of discounted freight. They are the CHEAP carrier. They fill their trailers with cheap garbage freight because that's the only business they can sell to. Freight rates will not and cannot recover with yrc hauling for nothing. They are the drag on the industry

Lots of items are subject to debate such as will YRC purchase ABF? How would the details be worked out in such an attempt like seniority or closed terminals? Will ABF even come back to the table considering the months it took to negotiate this contract. Or is ABF just bluffing and ready to immediately counter-offer any such rejection. No one can say without "speculating" how all of this will work out. But there is one "fact" every single Teamster must consider before voting for or against this contract.

ABF is losing money. The numbers are public and the information is easily attainable. Since 2008, ABF has lost (net income) -133 Million. It lost 7.73 Million in 2012. ABFS Annual Income Statement - Arkansas Best Corp. Annual Financials

Old Dominion has made (net income) 488 Million in the last five years. 140 Million in 2011 and 170 Million in 2012. ODFL Annual Income Statement - Old Dominion Freight Line Inc. Annual Financials

Conway has made (net income) 146 Million in the last five years. 104 Million of that was earned last year. CNW Annual Income Statement - Con-way Inc. Annual Financials

Fedex Freight, the largest LTL had record revenues in excess of 5.2 Billion while earning 162 Million in 2012. please review page 22 on http://fedexannualreport2012.hwaxis.com/Files/FedEx_Annual_Report_2012.pdf

Our former partner in the NMFA, YRC has lost 2.44 Billion the last five years. However, its losses have narrowed to only 140 million in 2012. I can't explain how this company is still in business but it is clearly a competitor of ABF and its position as the low-cost freight hauler has significantly impacted price recovery for every LTL. YRCW Annual Income Statement - YRC Worldwide Inc. Annual Financials

The trends are noticeable if we can see past our personal biases. If ABF doesn't get some sort of concession on a five year contract, it will be forced into another direction that will lead to dramatic cost cutting so it can be a profitable company again. Please review the sources on everyone of my links. This is a very difficult decision for everyone. Good Luck!

You can't put odfl into the equation. Those clowns would work for free if odfl would ask them to. No overtime, drop and hook pay, wait time, breakdown, city guys told to wait in the breakroom off the clock for their load, high premiums for cut rate insurance. Odfl is in a league of their own. And as i posted that yrc is a drag on the rates in the industry, odfl drivers lead the race to the bottom for labor in the industry.

You can't put odfl into the equation. Those clowns would work for free if odfl would ask them to. No overtime, drop and hook pay, wait time, breakdown, city guys told to wait in the breakroom off the clock for their load, high premiums for cut rate insurance. Odfl is in a league of their own. And as i posted that yrc is a drag on the rates in the industry, odfl drivers lead the race to the bottom for labor in the industry.

You and I don't get to determine our competition. I agree we have a better deal from the prospective of an employee, yet they have a successful business model and more appealing to investors. Like it or not, it is consequential.

What does YRC even have to do with this? I Doubt if YRC can buy anything right now, and even if they could, it is not going to matter if the contract passes or not. In fact I think we will be more attractive to another company if we did take concessions. Again Why worry about what if? We have something a lot more important then YRC to take care of first.

Please post the breakdown of losses from 2008-2012. You are not proving anything intil you can show what and how much they have lost for the years mentioned. Numbers are just Numbers without facts to back them up

YOUR SPREADING FEAR FOR NO REASON

ABF needs to lead by example and not by> DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO ATTITUDE. UNLIKE YOU I AM NOT CONVINCED THAT THEY EVEN NEED ANY CONCESSIONS AT ALL. What do you think will happen to the revenue from the concessions? IS IT POSSIBLE THEY WILL BUY MORE NON UNION COMPANIES WITH THE MONEY… IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY WILL DO WITH THEM?

This contract is about more then Money, This contract is about taking workers rights away, Taking away our vacations, Giving our work out to NON UNION companies.

We need to vote this down and send them back to the tables, and hopefully this time they will take it a little more serious!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY WITH YOUR DECISION.
DON’T VOTE ON FEAR AND WHAT IF’S
VOTE WHATS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Fear seems to be the biggest factor in this vote. Who is promoting fear, and what do they have to gain? When someone uses fear as a negotiating tactic,....they are hiding something. Facts stand on their own, and don't need fear to reinforce them. As a Teamster, Veteran, and a proponent of the First Amendment, I detest anyone trying to scare me into an economic condition for my family. The same goes for trickery. I certainly am not convinced that this company needs economic relief. The fact that they are asking for a 5 year agreement, alone.....tells me quite a few things. Stand tall on your own legs, Brothers and ....Vote with your EYES,.....Not your EARS!

If ABF doesn't get some sort of concession on a five year contract, it will be forced into another direction that will lead to dramatic cost cutting so it can be a profitable company again.

Ya, that's what they said they would do if the contract failed. That probably would not affect anyone one with with 20+ years unless a couple COO's got to them. So senior people would not worry too much about that. After an extended length of time voting, re-voting and revolting when YRC went thru this nothing was revoked. Nothing went back to the table. nothing!! there was no plan B
Forget about it going back to the table!!!! :coffee1:

ya, that's what they said they would do if the contract failed. That probably would not affect anyone one with with 20+ years unless a couple coo's got to them. So senior people would not worry too much about that. After an extended length of time voting, re-voting and revolting when yrc went thru this nothing was revoked. Nothing went back to the table. nothing!! There was no plan b
forget about it going back to the table!!!! :coffee1:

Again you have nothing to give here but try to spread fear..... You have no proof, and you are here just to start trouble. I wonder how long the mods are going to let you be here without doing their jobs.............

That is the problem. Like it or not, they are a competitor. They do the same job and provide the same service as you do. Their methods might be different, but the end result is the same, freight gets hauled from point A to point B.

If you can't come to terms on labor, the money has to come from somewhere. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but you should open your eyes to the reality.

Guardrail

I think you are right about the vacation, but I can't understand why more are not upset about giving away our workers rights, and just giving away work to the NON UNION
You're right papajohn! The losing of a weeks vacation sucks, but the losing of your job for some trumped up "theft of company time" non-corroborated video/audio allegation is absurd. Also giving away up to 6% of the road work is a joke! Who's going to monitor this? It's time to send the IBT back to the table and hammer out something that the ABF Teamster brothers and sisters can live with. I think most ABF Teamster employees realize this and won't fall for the threats!

That is the problem. Like it or not, they are a competitor. They do the same job and provide the same service as you do. Their methods might be different, but the end result is the same, freight gets hauled from point A to point B.

If you can't come to terms on labor, the money has to come from somewhere. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but you should open your eyes to the reality.

Guardrail

Yeah like them going out and buying another trucking company,giving the higher ups substantial raises then coming to the workers for concessions... Corporate America at its best...

Again you have nothing to give here but try to spread fear..... You have no proof, and you are here just to start trouble. I wonder how long the mods are going to let you be here without doing their jobs.............

He's not doing anything wrong. He's giving opinions is all. I don't see him bashing either side just to start trouble.

Deal with it.

What does YRC even have to do with this? I Doubt if YRC can buy anything right now, and even if they could, it is not going to matter if the contract passes or not. In fact I think we will be more attractive to another company if we did take concessions. Again Why worry about what if? We have something a lot more important then YRC to take care of first.

Please post the breakdown of losses from 2008-2012. You are not proving anything intil you can show what and how much they have lost for the years mentioned. Numbers are just Numbers without facts to back them up

YOUR SPREADING FEAR FOR NO REASON

ABF needs to lead by example and not by> DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO ATTITUDE. UNLIKE YOU I AM NOT CONVINCED THAT THEY EVEN NEED ANY CONCESSIONS AT ALL. What do you think will happen to the revenue from the concessions? IS IT POSSIBLE THEY WILL BUY MORE NON UNION COMPANIES WITH THE MONEY… IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY WILL DO WITH THEM?

I am giving you real facts based on the real numbers. If you look closely my numbers do not match what the company says it lost. But it also clearly shows our competition has completely recovered from the recession while ABF lost 7 million last year. We compete against these other companies and if ABF is not competitive, no one will be employed. This is the reality of the capitalism.

Fear is an emotion and anyone that makes a decision based on emotion is not making a good decision. My numbers are facts as are the trends in the LTL marketplace. Use the information to make the best decision for your self and your family!

Before the recent downturn in the freight business, ABF had several years where all we heard was They made RECORD PROFITS and MORE MONEY THAN THEY MADE IN THE HISTORY OF THE COMPANY! We had a contract expire during that time and we asked them to share a small portion for better raises. And their response was that was THEIR money! And I understand that. So in the same vein then - Their losses are their losses! If ABF would have maybe offered 5% to us then, I would have absolutely no problem giving them 7% now. The profit sharing plan they are offering is too little too late!
And what profits do they want to share? They can't have it both ways.

YRC took away a week vacation + more then you have been asked to give and have been closing terminals since.

How insecure must you already be to be to threatened by a few who do not share your enthusiasm going in. You should have fear you should be intimidated if you had any sense. You may be terminated. Jobs are at stake. It could be yours. It's not if job loss will happen it's how many and what terminals will close. The vacation issue will cut over $7,000,000 of cost out of the equation. Share holders are rejoicing. That will happen. Are you that naive that you think a simple no vote will make them go away?

Big difference between the way the way YRC concessions was handled by the union is 25,000 jobs were at stake. A company does not function well with billion dollar losses and billion dollar debt. Only YRC teamsters realized this and voted yes the first time. The IBT would not accept the no votes from New Penn or Chicago based teamsters who voted twice. Hoffa took away Chicago's white paper contracts and YRC worked around them and closed a large Chicago terminal that later reopened but threatened to close terminals permanently. Chicago caved. They threatened to close New Penn and end-tail them behind YRC with the unions full support. New Penn caved. Ask Crazy he was there too.

ABF is in no danger of closing but there will be job loss yes or no. If YRC buys you and that's a big if you will be decimated like YRC was decimated. They kid you not.
stop shouting:coffee1:

YRC took away a week vacation + more then you have been asked to give and have been closing terminals since.

How insecure must you already be to be to threatened by a few who do not share your enthusiasm going in. You should have fear you should be intimidated if you had any sense. You may be terminated. Jobs are at stake. It could be yours. It's not if job loss will happen it's how many and what terminals will close. The vacation issue will cut over $7,000,000 of cost out of the equation. Share holders are rejoicing. That will happen. Are you that naive that you think a simple no vote will make them go away?

Big difference between the way the way YRC concessions was handled by the union is 25,000 jobs were at stake. A company does not function well with billion dollar losses and billion dollar debt. Only YRC teamsters realized this and voted yes the first time. The IBT would not accept the no votes from New Penn or Chicago based teamsters who voted twice. Hoffa took away Chicago's white paper contracts and YRC worked around them and closed a large Chicago terminal that later reopened but threatened to close terminals permanently. Chicago caved. They threatened to close New Penn and end-tail them behind YRC with the unions full support. New Penn caved. Ask Crazy he was there too.

ABF is in no danger of closing but there will be job loss yes or no. If YRC buys you and that's a big if you will be decimated like YRC was decimated. They kid you not.
stop shouting:coffee1:
Yrc lost a weeks vacation if you were getting so many weeks Abf is across the board.... We can't get drivers now, how do you sell this job when it takes 2 years to get 1 week then work 6 more to get your 2nd. They better get ready for a different class of drivers ....