XPO | One out of three won

Young, naive or possibly both.

Young is relative. I've been in the LTL industry since 1987--27 years. I'm not naive, though there are a lot of things I may be ignorant about.

Yellowpride said:
How many non unions have gone under as well?

Lots from a much, much larger pool. Obviously you don't like the answer to the question I asked you, so you choose to ignore it. That speaks louder than the answer would have.

Yellowpride said:
Who has the lowest claims in LTL? Unionized Holland.

That depends on whose marketing numbers you chose to believe. OD has a pretty good reputation. In fact they've won the Mastio award 4 years in a row.

Yellowpride said:
I work for unionized UPS. What do you have to say about them?

Arguably the best run union carrier ever. An anomaly.

Yellopride said:
Check your local large UPS package facility. They're hiring feeder drivers across the country. Come on over to the "dark side".

Some fantastic advice.

I don't know how old you are but I was around for years during deregulation and one of the worst things was that many of those companies used their rights/ operating authority as collateral to buy terminals new fleets of trucks etc . millions of dollars . When deregulation was signed in 1989 by Carter and Kennedy all that collateral went out the window and the banks called in the loans . Many were unable to pay the banks so they went under . Then a lot of nonunion companies with substandard wages and no benefits competing with the union companies put the final nail in the coffin . I suppose if you want to blame the unions for not lowering their standards to that of the nonunion companies then the unions are guilty . I would have to be a damn fool to envy the pensions offered by nonunion companies . As you know many of the non's don't even have pensions . We know some old men that were nonunion and they say that if they had it over they would have chosen a union company because now in their 60's and 70's left with nothing but social security and maybe a little 500 buck a month so call pension . Hell some are still working into their 70's because they have no pension . Strange how life has a way of biting ya in the ass.:1036316054:

I'm only 46...but you are off by a decade regarding deregulation.

I'm not blaming the unions for not lowering their standards, I am blaming the unions for cutting off their members noses in spite of their face. You must evolve with changing times or you will die.

Public sector pensions are going the way of the dodo. To work your entire life, living at or beyond your means is a very short-sighted way to live. Most folks are no longer employed by the same employer long enough to earn a pension in any event.

People aren't working into their 70's because they have no pension. Those people are working into their 70's because they failed to properly plan to retire earlier.

I'm not blaming the unions for not lowering their standards, I am blaming the unions for cutting off their members noses in spite of their face. You must evolve with changing times or you will die.

Public sector pensions are going the way of the dodo. To work your entire life, living at or beyond your means is a very short-sighted way to live. Most folks are no longer employed by the same employer long enough to earn a pension in any event.

People aren't working into their 70's because they have no pension. Those people are working into their 70's because they failed to properly plan to retire earlier.
you are off by a decade regarding deregulation. How is it that I'm off by a decade ? Deregulation went into effect in 1980 .

BTW Yeah some are working to pay off foolish dept . Most are working long into their late 60's and 70's because they have nothing for a pension after working for years .

. You are correct, I made a typo it was 1980 not 1989 as you can see the 9 is next to the 0 . Guess that's what I get for typing too fast . Thanks for pointing that out . BTW yeah some have to work into their late 60's and 70's because of foolishness but the ones I come across can't retire because they have no kind of pension maybe 500 a month a little social security . My father was a Teamster ltl driver in Chicago ever since I was a little kid mom never had to work out of the house because pa made enough on the truck . They raised 6 kids, we had nice cars a home that was paid for in a nice suburb and when they departed they left something for each one of us . My father collected his pension for 30 years b/4 he passed . I know because I had to call the union so they would stop sending checks . So this is why I can't relate to all the negativity about the teamsters . It wasn't just my father it was common for all the retired teamsters I know of course some didn't live as long as my father . I'm retired now going on 6 years after 44 years mostly with Yellow Freight and it looks as if I will follow in is foot steps . I want to see that good comes to all the guys that are still in the trucks ,I wish them luck and happiness in the employment and for a successful retirement someday .

. You are correct, I made a typo it was 1980 not 1989 as you can see the 9 is next to the 0 . Guess that's what I get for typing too fast . Thanks for pointing that out . BTW yeah some have to work into their late 60's and 70's because of foolishness but the ones I come across can't retire because they have no kind of pension maybe 500 a month a little social security . My father was a Teamster ltl driver in Chicago ever since I was a little kid mom never had to work out of the house because pa made enough on the truck . They raised 6 kids, we had nice cars a home that was paid for in a nice suburb and when they departed they left something for each one of us . My father collected his pension for 30 years b/4 he passed . I know because I had to call the union so they would stop sending checks . So this is why I can't relate to all the negativity about the teamsters . It wasn't just my father it was common for all the retired teamsters I know of course some didn't live as long as my father . I'm retired now going on 6 years after 44 years mostly with Yellow Freight and it looks as if I will follow in is foot steps . I want to see that good comes to all the guys that are still in the trucks ,I wish them luck and happiness in the employment and for a successful retirement someday .

You deserve some financial security. Enjoy. I had mine unceremoniously ripped out from underneath at Conway. Not happy.

Whatever I may have saved for retirement over the decades is irrelevant. I did "properly plan to retire" with the pension I was told I would receive if I came to work here. My proper planning failed as a result of my faith in a corporation that does not take its obligations seriously. Guess I shoulda got it in writing......

i love the way anti union folks throw around "proper planning". OD only gives you 30 bux per 1000 gross, if you max your contributions out. thats a slap in the face. proper planning seems to come WITH a pension.

Don't waste your time with him, same story different book. Yrc ,Conway or fedex have all heard the same union hating/ pro company bs over & over....

Don't waste your time with him, same story different book. Yrc ,Conway or fedex have all heard the same union hating/ pro company bs over & over....

So true. Ex isn't even a driver. My guess he's a 46 year old, single man with nothing to do but watch Internet p*on and harass truck drivers. Very bizarre behavior

B.S. I know some good folks that were at CF and a whole lot of pieces of crap. I will talk about CF disgracefully as it was one of the worst operating carriers the entire time I was in LTL until their demise. Right now some of the YRCW and ABFS terminals are strikingly similar...gee wonder why?

I wonder how come the UPSF terminals seem to be run so much better than the YRCW and ABFS terminals I am familiar with?

I agree with you on your statement. Incompetent management incorporating poor business practices.The type that continue to complain our labor agreements are restrictive. Those same "pieces of crap" you so fondly speak of went on to other carriers, Union and non Union alike, and in turn did their best to drag those companies down with their poor management practices. Why is it these morons seem to find each other in operations and repeat the same mistakes? I have been with the same company for nearly 30 years and I have worked for some excellent managers. I have also worked for some "pieces of crap" over the years. The managers that excelled had low operating ratios and a thorough working knowledge of our contract. Few grievances and a workforce that appreciated their leadership. Leaders, not Commanders. Every few years we get a new bunch fresh out of school that try to reinvent the wheel. There are many variables to consider but it is a simple business. Pick it up at point "A," deliver it to point "B," on time and claim free. Accomplish that and you can make money. The "can" being....As long as management doesn't "F" it up.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Understood...separate companies, same parent corp, later separated before CF filed BK.

B.S. I know some good folks that were at CF and a whole lot of pieces of crap. I will talk about CF disgracefully as it was one of the worst operating carriers the entire time I was in LTL until their demise. Right now some of the YRCW and ABFS terminals are strikingly similar...gee wonder why?

I wonder how come the UPSF terminals seem to be run so much better than the YRCW and ABFS terminals I am familiar with?
YRC even today happens to be very unstable....After everything they have given they still are in trouble....If it wasn't for the government I truly believe they never would have survived....Where does the blame belong?....Mostly to Zollars arrogance.

Whatever I may have saved for retirement over the decades is irrelevant. I did "properly plan to retire" with the pension I was told I would receive if I came to work here. My proper planning failed as a result of my faith in a corporation that does not take its obligations seriously. Guess I shoulda got it in writing......

What you may have saved for retirement has turned out to be very relevant, I imagine.

Some people my age are planning on receiving social security. I hear folks say "they won't let it fail, it will be there". Wouldn't it be more prudent of me to prepare for it not to be there?

BTW yeah some have to work into their late 60's and 70's because of foolishness but the ones I come across can't retire because they have no kind of pension maybe 500 a month a little social security

The ones who can't retire because "they have no kind of pension maybe 500 a month a little social security" are foolish if they didn't prepare to retire prior to their 70's.

PupDriver said:
My father was a Teamster ltl driver in Chicago ever since I was a little kid mom never had to work out of the house because pa made enough on the truck . They raised 6 kids, we had nice cars a home that was paid for in a nice suburb and when they departed they left something for each one of us . My father collected his pension for 30 years b/4 he passed . I know because I had to call the union so they would stop sending checks . So this is why I can't relate to all the negativity about the teamsters . It wasn't just my father it was common for all the retired teamsters I know of course some didn't live as long as my father . I'm retired now going on 6 years after 44 years mostly with Yellow Freight and it looks as if I will follow in is foot steps . I want to see that good comes to all the guys that are still in the trucks ,I wish them luck and happiness in the employment and for a successful retirement someday .

My father retired IBEW at age 55. We lived in upper middle class neighborhoods too. My mom never worked outside the home while we were growing up, other than volunteering. So I can relate to the lifestyle and security a blue-collar trade for a hard working man can provide.

The fact of the matter is that I don't believe people should feel entitled to earn pensions from their employers. That's my ideology. All my employer owes me is a paycheck for the services I provide. Once I am no longer employed, they don't owe me a penny.

What you may have saved for retirement has turned out to be very relevant, I imagine. Some people my age are planning on receiving social security. I hear folks say "they won't let it fail, it will be there". Wouldn't it be more prudent of me to prepare for it not to be there?

It is prudent to save, but it has no bearing on this issue. Concerning the pension, the 401(k) seems to be used as a diversionary tactic.

The ones who can't ret.............That's my ideology. All my employer owes me is a paycheck for the services I provide. Once I am no longer employed, they don't owe me a penny.

There is nothing wrong with your ideology should that ideology be agreed-upon in advance. That's your's and your employer's choice.

However, I do now highly recommend that should you come to any kind of an agreement, GET IT IN WRITING!!!!

Is entitlement the same as wanting what was previously agreed-upon in an exchange?

If you fix my roof, I'll give you a pig and three chickens.
You fix the roof.
I give you a chicken.....and it's been choked.
Is that your ideology?

Young is relative. I've been in the LTL industry since 1987--27 years. I'm not naive, though there are a lot of things I may be ignorant about.

Lots from a much, much larger pool. Obviously you don't like the answer to the question I asked you, so you choose to ignore it. That speaks louder than the answer would have.

That depends on whose marketing numbers you chose to believe. OD has a pretty good reputation. In fact they've won the Mastio award 4 years in a row.

Arguably the best run union carrier ever. An anomaly.

Some fantastic advice.
Arguably the best run union company ever! Arguably! That says it all! You may have been out here since 87, but you are obviously as ignorant as you proclaim. You really don't know trucking. You don't know the history of trucking. You're come off like an angry little man who probably is in good with management and doesn't want anything to change despite the fact your coworkers are seeing an erosion of everything that made Conway so good for so many years.

The fact that your father was an IBEW union electrician and provided you and your family an upper middle class life is wonderful. Your father was a union man and very hard worker I'm sure. Yet you have the audacity to come on here and spew that everything union is negative. You should be ashamed of yourself.

"Arguably" and an "Anomaly"........really? Self proclamation of ignorant. You certainly got that one right.

I agree with you on your statement. Incompetent management incorporating poor business practices.The type that continue to complain our labor agreements are restrictive. Those same "pieces of crap" you so fondly speak of went on to other carriers, Union and non Union alike, and in turn did their best to drag those companies down with their poor management practices. Why is it these morons seem to find each other in operations and repeat the same mistakes? I have been with the same company for nearly 30 years and I have worked for some excellent managers. I have also worked for some "pieces of crap" over the years. The managers that excelled had low operating ratios and a thorough working knowledge of our contract. Few grievances and a workforce that appreciated their leadership. Leaders, not Commanders. Every few years we get a new bunch fresh out of school that try to reinvent the wheel. There are many variables to consider but it is a simple business. Pick it up at point "A," deliver it to point "B," on time and claim free. Accomplish that and you can make money. The "can" being....As long as management doesn't "F" it up.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

The ones who can't retire because "they have no kind of pension maybe 500 a month a little social security" are foolish if they didn't prepare to retire prior to their 70's.

My father retired IBEW at age 55. We lived in upper middle class neighborhoods too. My mom never worked outside the home while we were growing up, other than volunteering. So I can relate to the lifestyle and security a blue-collar trade for a hard working man can provide.

The fact of the matter is that I don't believe people should feel entitled to earn pensions from their employers. That's my ideology. All my employer owes me is a paycheck for the services I provide. Once I am no longer employed, they don't owe me a penny.

the relevant fact of the matter is that more and more people at conway disagree. they want their pension back.