Only A Matter of Time Before Self-Driving Trucks come our Way?

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by c-cat, Apr 6, 2017.

1. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

Ya want job security as a driver in this industry. A sure fire way is as a wrecker driver working as a Jamie Davis Motor Trucking employee. The are featured on the TV show Highway thru Hell. Knowing what they do, there is no way in hell I could make it with that outfit. It has to take a special kind of person to survive that kind of work in that kind of environment. Not to mention it is way beyond dangerous & colder than a well diggers ass in the middle of January. von.

2. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

They do have self driving vehicles that have driven through snow storms icy roads and mountain passes in winter successfully. It's just this cheap junk that works poorly.

trucknfool likes this.
  3. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. trucknfool

trucknfool Well-Known Member

Just take a look at the road's around us that we travel, I noticed last night, that one construction zone in particular had a Lane shift that was tricky, uneven pavement, temporary white lines peeled up hard to tell your lane position. It will be a long time before computers are able to compensate for all of the conditions and Trillions of dollars that will have to be spent the infrastructure .
    I am not going to see it in what time is left in my driving career.

vongrimmenstein and upnorth like this.
  5. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

I must agree 100% with this. I belive in my life time I will see it on major highways like the some toll roads like NY state Thruway were they pull double 53's. I see a driver driving the trucks to the parking areas at the entrance hooking the set together and they pushing a button to send them down the highway to it's programed exit. At the other end is a driver driving the truck to it's destanation and delivering the freight. That's the most I believe I will see in my life time.

6. Rollin

Rollin Member

TED radio hour podcast, The Digital Industrial Revolution. It's AI, and coming on faster and faster as technology grows. Doing more with less that makes companies eat this up.

Who knows how quick forsure yet but driverless trucks are coming. I'm guessing freight trains will need to automate as well or fall by the wayside at some point. The thing is this goes way beyond just trucking industry.

7. WHO KNOWS105

WHO KNOWS105 ASK ALICE

8. highspeeds

Skinnytrucker, trucknfool and icuicp like this.
  9. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Fate of the Furious. In one part of the movie it shows terrorist taking over everyday vehicles , remotely controlling them and using them as weapons.

While this is clearly science fiction , how long until this happens? This is what will hold things up - putting safeguards in place to protect the public and prevent control by unauthorized people.

Car hack scene: Fate of the Furious

10. highspeeds

Exactly. As we have said on here several times before. If you are talking about moving a 53 footer from Phili to Phoenix with no hazmat on board. Probably not to far off. Even if it is a trailer full of HD TVs. As soon as that thing leaves route police will be alerted and corporate security will have some way to remotely kill the engine or otherwise disable the vehicle. Another way terrorists use trucks is to ram and crush people. Again. Unauthorized use would have to lead to some sort of kill switch. I dunno what it would involve. But obviously there would have to be a method of exerting complete control on the location and heading of the vehicle.

But if you want these things doing city peddles or pulling hazmat. Gonna be a while. I can't see that going smoothly at all.

Serene Gene and icuicp like this.
  11. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

Just what every 4 wheeler wants to see a truck with 1.1, 2.3, 6.1, or 7 placards and no driver behind the wheel.

12. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

There are things you can do if you see a placarded set with no driver rolling down the street:

1.) Get a set of depends
    2.) Call your family attorney and make sure your affairs are in order
    3.) Hope the guidance system controlling it hasn't been hacked < like everything else has nowadays >
    4.) Sit back in your recliner and enjoy the movie. Obviously , it's not real , just special effects on a big budget summer movie and self driving trucks still have a LONG way to go before practical everyday use.

13. highspeeds

People in four wheelers don't look at placards or even know what they mean.

14. Rollin

Rollin Member

Lasers will blast and evaporate making it road kill dust. Things that we haven't probably thought of will come up to handle weather conditions. Maybe, they'll have drones watching high dollar freight.

My question is about insurance. This could force the professional driver out of the vehicle faster, because of liability issues with human error. As we all know it's about cost savings and the almighty Dollar in the end.

I always thought they would stick more money into Intermodal. Running more and more otr/long distance traffic by rail cutting down on highway useage.

highspeeds likes this.
  15. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

The rail system doesn't have enough capacity for that

16. highspeeds

It's a balancing act. Use enough rail to be cost effective without being overly reliant. Also, XPO is the biggest one stop shop for sending a container over seas. Europe, Asia or Africa. XPO picks it up and delivers it. One company start to finish. Transparent tracking the whole way.

17. Stand4afuture

Stand4afuture Active Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    icuicp, highspeeds and Fly-by-night like this.
  18. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

19. DanielHK

DanielHK New Member

I wonder how much one of their trucks will weigh with all the batteries required to pull tons worth of cargo. That won't leave much room for heavy loads, and the fact that they would need to build an entire charging network from the ground up. Also the amount of time it would take to charge up one of their trucks.

20. hotrodd

hotrodd Active Member

Dry call lithium batteries are very lightweight so that part doesn't matter but the charging systems are another matter.

highspeeds likes this.