XPO | Only A Matter of Time Before Self-Driving Trucks come our Way?

Dry call lithium batteries are very lightweight so that part doesn't matter but the charging systems are another matter.
Seems as battery technology changes, so do the number of fires or overheating from the battery's. Most battery's still produce a gas (hydrogen sulfied) that can explode on you. Little chance of that happening, but the risk is still there. More so in an enclosed trailer. von.

I must agree 100% with this. I belive in my life time I will see it on major highways like the some toll roads like NY state Thruway were they pull double 53's. I see a driver driving the trucks to the parking areas at the entrance hooking the set together and they pushing a button to send them down the highway to it's programed exit. At the other end is a driver driving the truck to it's destanation and delivering the freight. That's the most I believe I will see in my life time.
Think you are correct. The over the road will be the computer. Then the driver will take over for the local delivery. von.

Seems as battery technology changes, so do the number of fires or overheating from the battery's. Most battery's still produce a gas (hydrogen sulfied) that can explode on you. Little chance of that happening, but the risk is still there. More so in an enclosed trailer. von.

These Cascadias go up in flames pretty often. How bad can it be ?

More hype than reality..like I said before theres a lot of other factors beside the truck technology. Many things that we don't have funding for now have to be fixed. Someone is trying to hype his stock price up and scare some people into submission. Shows his lack of respect employees and his lack of knowledge of the industry.

Last edited:
More hype than reality..like I said before theres a lot of other factors beside the truck technology. Many things that we don't have funding for now have to be fixed. Someone is trying to hype his stock price up and scare some people into submission. Shows his lack of respect employees and his lack of knowledge of the industry.

It's simple. Once the computer is as safe as a human driver it will be implemented. Then laws will be altered to cater to the new technology and then the computer will be safer than the human driver. Over lapping technology is being rolled out. Mandates on personal vehicles ( 4 wheels ) are coming into law. Autonomous braking and lane change assistance. It will all roll out very quickly, ten years at most is a very realistic estimate.

No different than the horse and buggy. Things become antiquated. It's only a matter of time. How long did it take for people to latch onto radio ? TV ? telephone ? cell phone ? computer ? smart phone ? And you can still use the older technology if you want. It still exists in all these examples. But is it the most efficient and profitable ? In a business setting ? Are there companies out there still moving stuff with beasts of burden ? Of course. Dude down in West Virginia has a team of mules to put your trailer up on the side of that damn mountain you chose to live on. I'm sure he makes a good living. But is that anyway to move freight from Phoenix to Phili ?

It's simple. Once the computer is as safe as a human driver it will be implemented. Then laws will be altered to cater to the new technology and then the computer will be safer than the human driver. Over lapping technology is being rolled out. Mandates on personal vehicles ( 4 wheels ) are coming into law. Autonomous braking and lane change assistance. It will all roll out very quickly, ten years at most is a very realistic estimate.

No different than the horse and buggy. Things become antiquated. It's only a matter of time. How long did it take for people to latch onto radio ? TV ? telephone ? cell phone ? computer ? smart phone ? And you can still use the older technology if you want. It still exists in all these examples. But is it the most efficient and profitable ? In a business setting ? Are there companies out there still moving stuff with beasts of burden ? Of course. Dude down in West Virginia has a team of mules to put your trailer up on the side of that damn mountain you chose to live on. I'm sure he makes a good living. But is that anyway to move freight from Phoenix to Phili ?
Like I have said before there is no doubt technology will replace some drivers at some point in time it we be foolish to say different.
Brad Jacobs is trying to portray to his investors that it will be sooner then we think to drive his share price up with investors jumping on board to see if he can . He will be long gone and made his money in the wave of that optimism before it has any fruitful gains for a trucking company.
Remember what I said he's and artists painting a picture for potential investors.
As to the message he sending his current employees he's telling them your replaceable.

Like I said highway use. OTTO had to have a driver take it to the interstate and even the uber truck said it would be on ramp to exit self drive only.
I like to know why all the demos and testing only happens on clear sunny days were are the snow and ice covered roads, high wind heavy downpours

Wish they'd hurry up! I'm ready for a career change.

I'm sure if you're willing to take a reduction in compensation and contribute it two mr. Jacobs R&D, it'll speed things up. Or be a guinea pig and take online courses on your laptop as a truck goes down the road.

In 10 years the driving will be done by the computer. Now the food warehouse manager gonna be crying his eyes for he can't get the driver to sort & segregate the freight. He is gonna have to use labor from south of the border. Or he can look for RAM or ROM in his computer. Maybe they can tackle that floor load. Or actually do it himself. Bet ya the food distributor Lion King over in the Carolina's won't like that. von.