Only A Matter of Time Before Self-Driving Trucks come our Way?

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by c-cat, Apr 6, 2017.

1. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Australia Expands Use of Caterpillar’s Self-Driving Truck Technology

The shovels are operated by workers who cue up an automated dump truck to haul away the debris as another dump truck idles nearby for its turn.

Utilizing 64 lasers in a bulb attached to the trucks, Lidar technology creates a 3D image for the trucks to see anything in their path, explained Sean McGinnis, production manager of Caterpillar’s Mining Technology Enabled Solutions.

Upon arriving at the dump site, the driverless trucks back up to the berm to unload. Once empty, the truck pulls forward while simultaneously lowering the bed — something that a manned truck cannot do because it is jolting to a driver, McGinnis said.

- Transport Topics

2. WiggleWagondrvr

WiggleWagondrvr New Member

It is a dog eat dog world. I have six years until I am 65 and ready to retire. I will also have the rule of 85 in the bag. I am going to be alright. As for the rest of you guys... haha. Good luck.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

What’s 85 in the bag mean?

4. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

I heard the self driving trucks will be for Linehaul, makes more sense than using them for p&d.

5. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Years of service plus age = 85

The rule of 85

6. DanielHK

DanielHK New Member

I would love to see an automated truck venture into the city of Chicago for a day of P&D. It would be hilarious to watch. Between our crazy drivers, low bridges, tight docks, narrow streets, etc. It would be a sight to see.

highspeeds and sucker666 like this.
  7. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer Speedy Freightshaker #411

As fascinating as this is, a quarry or pit mine isn't the same as the open road. And these haul trucks don't have to be programmed to avoid anything because haul trucks have the right of way in these closed environments. This pathfinding technology isn't new, either. I've seen one fitted to an off-road military truck...it still wasn't capable of beating a human in a Range Rover.

8. WiggleWagondrvr

WiggleWagondrvr New Member

Rule of 85 concerns pension benefits. Rule of 85 is age of employee added to years of service with company. When that total equals 85 or more the employee can file for pension benefits. If that employee is covered under the pension plan.

9. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Not happening anytime soon. I’m not saying never just not in the near future.

10. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

You see the first self driving bus in Las Vegas got in a wreck already ? Big truck backing down into an alley. And the bus just sat there. A computer sensing objects in lanes is not the same as putting together the event and what is happening.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/09/technology/self-driving-bus-accident-las-vegas/index.html

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/self-driving-bus-crash-vegas-account/#/3

icuicp likes this.