Estes | only estes drivers please

imported_shifty

TB Lurker
Credits
I would like to know if a job with estes is worth the effort. As I hear alot of people complain about the company but really don't give an honest shake.
I might take a job at the cleveland terminal if I get an honest opinion. please let me know. thank you

I was a line haul driver for 7 years with Estes. Estes is a good company in terms of stability. With all trucking companies Estes is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Its not the worst but certainly not the best. It depends on the terminal and how many drivers run the board. City P&D had about a 30% turnover rate where I was domiciled. The line haul had about the same turnover rate. I left because I was number 5 on the board and a change of operations took place. My run was eliminated and I was forced on the extra board. Out a week at a time with over 20 drivers beneath me getting home every other day are every day. Dispatch said pack a bag. I said find another driver. The bunk house and hotel rules are extermely bad. Multiple drivers in a bunk room same as a hotel. 2 drivers to every room.

Jake said:
I was a line haul driver for 7 years with Estes. Estes is a good company in terms of stability. With all trucking companies Estes is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Its not the worst but certainly not the best. It depends on the terminal and how many drivers run the board. City P&D had about a 30% turnover rate where I was domiciled. The line haul had about the same turnover rate. I left because I was number 5 on the board and a change of operations took place. My run was eliminated and I was forced on the extra board. Out a week at a time with over 20 drivers beneath me getting home every other day are every day. Dispatch said pack a bag. I said find another driver. The bunk house and hotel rules are extermely bad. Multiple drivers in a bunk room same as a hotel. 2 drivers to every room.
Thanks, At least it was an honest reply. The reason i'm asking is that my wife might be layed off and i'll need to make more money. I'l be driving about 45 miles to the terminal so being out all week won't bother me that much. If any more reasons, let me know.

I know you asked for only Estes drivers, but I'll chime in anyways. It depends on what you do now. Compared to an OTR job or somethng that pays less, it's a hell of a deal.

When you hear the arguing between Estes and Yellow or any two union vs. non union guys, you need to keep it in perspective. It's like two MLB players arguing about weather the Yankees or the Cubs are "better". They are both a million percent better than playing A ball (bottom of the minor leauges).

Know what I'm saying?

gearshifter said:
Then why is it still talked about so much like it still goes on today:nutkick: :chairshot: :biglaugh:
I have no idea ,but I was a P&D for five years until I decided to go to line haul about a year ago. I run the extra board and stay out for 4-5 days and have NEVER been asked to room with another driver. I know about 2 years ago they put out a new policy that they would not double drivers in a room and that it was going to cost them more. I can say that if they did I would not be working here.

Thanks for the info. It seems that I might have to look alittle deeper.Are the bunk houses clean and the hotels in safe areas? Are the benefits good? When i talked to the man at(Tom) cleveland, he gave me the info but at least he didn't sound like he's doing me a favor. He talked to me like I wasn't a low life(I hope thats standand but mabye will change) I might give it a try

shifty said:
Thanks for the info. It seems that I might have to look alittle deeper.Are the bunk houses clean and the hotels in safe areas? Are the benefits good? When i talked to the man at(Tom) cleveland, he gave me the info but at least he didn't sound like he's doing me a favor. He talked to me like I wasn't a low life(I hope thats standand but mabye will change) I might give it a try
I have personally haven't been in one but my Saai buddy says they have them and they suck. I understand the concept but look at government when they get there hands on something it turns to pot. I would not like it myself and they said here in the west we have to not worrry about it:bgroovy:

shifty said:
The lodging situation at estes is getting way better here in the last 6 mos or so. They have upgraded to better motels and have eliminated crappy bunkrooms. Most of the bunkrooms are ok however you may get into one thats not so great.

roadpig said:
The lodging situation at estes is getting way better here in the last 6 mos or so. They have upgraded to better motels and have eliminated crappy bunkrooms. Most of the bunkrooms are ok however you may get into one thats not so great.
We have always been able to weed out bad Hotels and hope that continues and have no reason it wouldn't:bgroovy:

I hear they are putting in more bunkhouse rooms in the terminals in the east. Let's find out if that is true or just more gossip. We don't want them here in the west

owlpuss said:
I would think estes drivers would like sharing rooms most of them are good buddys
F/U this forum is going to the SH*** hole . Infected by ahole union SH***S and disgruntled jerks. Kind of started out ok but down hill since.

Roadpig,
If you don't like the rules or Truckingboards in general, you're free to go somewhere else. The next time you post like this, you won't be coming back here.

roadpig said:
F/U this forum is going to the SH*** hole . Infected by ahole union SH***S and disgruntled jerks. Kind of started out ok but down hill since.
I guess some of you just don't know how to read. Yeah, we're griping dude, but we're also passing on info, discussing and airing out. What are you doing? Well maybe if you kids join life you can join the big boys at the table. Hmmmm, come to think of it, I think we're here trying to get things better for the driver. Oh, and maybe fairness of labor. If you don't like it, take your slander and cussing elsewhere.