Open-ended question...

Future_Union_Man

TB Lurker
Credits
I don't know any other way to get started now except ask this question flat out: Where should I go to work?

I am 44 and have a tricky back. I am just now getting my CDL. I am living in Asheville, NC. My dream is to one day be in a labor union. The odds of that happening anytime soon is slim. I need a company that will get me solid experience. Please advise.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know any other way to get started now except ask this question flat out: Where should I go to work?

I am 44 and have a tricky back. I am just now getting my CDL. I am living in Asheville, NC. My dream is to one day be in a labor union. The odds of that happening anytime soon is slim. I need a company that will get me solid experience. Please advise.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

If you are looking into foodservice don't look at delivery, not at all, it will hurt your back, to fall into a shuttle job with no experience is next to impossible in the food business.

Look into the LTL's that will train you, you should be able to handle city work, but more than likely you will have to start non-union to gain your experience.

Thats my advice.

The trash business isn't glamorous but around here one of the bigger companies is union, the roll off drivers make pretty good money. Check if there are any fuel haulers in your area, not sure if any of these guys are union though. LTL will probably be your best bet like GT said, but I've seen ads where they're looking to hire combination city driver/dock workers. The dock work might be too much if your back is already bad though.

If Kellogg has a warehouse near you check them out. They're union in KC, nothing heavier than a box of cookies or crackers. Not as high paying as foodservice but not too bad.

I agree with what everyone has said. But be careful of freight. YRC is in huge financial trouble. Full time status would be tough to get as a driver. Best of luck