XPO | Opt out of dockwork

BabyJ5525

TB Lurker
Credits
So how many takers do you think XPO will have opting out with them not paying one cent while you wait for loads ? I say very very few .
Correct me if I am wrong but I have been told by FEDEX city drivers that their linehaul guys get paid by the hour for waiting on loads if your run is 450 miles or more . Not sure if they have to give 30 minutes, an hour or not . I’ll try to find out .

I have a meet at a fac 570 miles I but in 10 minutes for drop 10 minutes for fueling then put in destination waiting then when my driver shows up in put in 20 minutes for hook it resets my time and Im off there saying I will sometime see the team meeting me

The managers have the info now. I for one will be opting out.
It will be interesting to see/hear . Some are only on linehaul to make all they can . So will hurt the bottom line in a years time if they opt out . We were told that if you opt out at bid time there is no opting back in during the year . Though IF a supervisor asks you to work the dock you can say yes or no .

I'm curious where the dock workers will come from. Good dock workers. Give a damn dock workers.

I'm guessing every FAC will have long runs where drivers opt out. If two drivers from the same building run and the senior driver works the dock and the junior driver has opted out , and you have two ready to go , AND you need dock workers , DO THEY HOLD THE SENIOR DRIVER TO WORK THE DOCK AND CUT THE JUNIOR DRIVER LOOSE?

I'm curious where the dock workers will come from. Good dock workers. Give a damn dock workers.

I'm guessing every FAC will have long runs where drivers opt out. If two drivers from the same building run and the senior driver works the dock and the junior driver has opted out , and you have two ready to go , AND you need dock workers , DO THEY HOLD THE SENIOR DRIVER TO WORK THE DOCK AND CUT THE JUNIOR DRIVER LOOSE?
I was asking myself the same question. I can’t wait to see how this whole fiasco plays out. personally I think it will be a disaster.

My situation. Told no. If he wants to work, fine. You get the next loads. You don’t take his.

My question connected to this: Short run drivers.

Will they ( short run drivers ) be held longer to make up for the lack of dock workers/opt-out-long-run-drivers?

Someone has to work the dock.

Veteran drivers may still work the dock but newer drivers won't ( in my opinion )

What is the incentive to work the dock if you're on a long run making good money anyway?

Last edited:
My question connected to this: Short run drivers.

Will they ( short run drivers ) be held longer to make up for the lack of dock workers/opt-out-long-run-drivers?

Someone has to work the dock.

Veteran drivers may still work the dock but newer drivers won't ( in my opinion )

What is the incentive to work the dock if you're on a long run making good money anyway?
The impression I get is that they are putting the pressure on the fac’s to properly staff up. Time will tell…

The impression I get is that they are putting the pressure on the fac’s to properly staff up. Time will tell…
EVERYWHERE you go , there are "Now Hiring" signs for almost ALL entry level jobs. Unless the pay and/or benefits are exceptional , good hardworking people WILL NOT SHOW UP!

Like the handheld cameras , LEAN , giant pros , and ratchet straps , this seems poorly thought out

EVERYWHERE you go , there are "Now Hiring" signs for almost ALL entry level jobs. Unless the pay and/or benefits are exceptional , good hardworking people WILL NOT SHOW UP!

Like the handheld cameras , LEAN , giant pros , and ratchet straps , this seems poorly thought out
I agree. Honestly, unless they got to two day freight, I don’t see it working right off the bat.

Out of my location the higher ups are terrified of our longest run becoming two-day. Even though it would solve sooooooo many issues they run into trying to maintain next-day service.

If management is all about safety AND great service , turning the longer runs into two-day lanes would help tremendously.

Over the last few bids , we've had new-to-driving people ( with no idea what is required to drive 4½ - 5 hours consistently a few times a night ) get stuck doing longest runs. Sometimes ending in wrecks. A lot of times with driver pulled over sleep. They start off thinking " I'll make a lot of money! " Then after a week or two , they regret having bid the run.

Out of my location the higher ups are terrified of our longest run becoming two-day. Even though it would solve sooooooo many issues they run into trying to maintain next-day service.

If management is all about safety AND great service , turning the longer runs into two-day lanes would help tremendously.

Over the last few bids , we've had new-to-driving people ( with no idea what is required to drive 4½ - 5 hours consistently a few times a night ) get stuck doing longest runs. Sometimes ending in wrecks. A lot of times with driver pulled over sleep. They start off thinking " I'll make a lot of money! " Then after a week or two , they regret having bid the run.
It’s not an easy job . I did it for 24 years . Many many long rough nights when I didn’t sleep well.

They are truck drivers what did they think the job entailed? What would have they done back in the day with sat. radio and cellphone, were all you have was the hummm of the engine and crackle of the cb

There is more to it then pay and benefits. Working conditions have alot to do with it too. If you just look at the dock. Ceiling fans to move air in the summer. Fix the doors and add dock curtains to stop the wind rain and snow from blowing through the building would go a long way. It would call for a large capital investment which they are not willing to spend.

There is more to it then pay and benefits. Working conditions have alot to do with it too. If you just look at the dock. Ceiling fans to move air in the summer. Fix the doors and add dock curtains to stop the wind rain and snow from blowing through the building would go a long way. It would call for a large capital investment which they are not willing to spend.
Not sure about that. They installed heat on our fac. Granted it’s colder than most in the winter up here.

Thats at Estes to. The mind says yes i can do it , but the body says hold on their buddy and then as you said regret. The old saying the grass isnt always greener on the other side comes to mind. Im guilty of this myself. Have gotten myself on runs and then think why cant i leave good enough alone and quit being so stupid. Its a roll of the dice sometimes another run works out great and sometimes you make a great error in judgement and have to pay the price until something better pops up.

What ever happened to the ratchet straps? I've seen one and it was broken.