Oregon-Lucky driver Okay after massive beam crashes through rig's cabin

I have always thought steel haulers had cab guards in the front of the trailers?

[video]http://www.highwayproducts.com/images/slideshow/semi_truck_accessories/semi_truck_cab_guard_2.jpg[/video]

Any time you pull a trailer without a bulk head you are supposed to have a Headache Rack on the tractor. Every nite I see many flatbeds going down the road with no bulkhead and no headache rack. I guess DOT is very laxed in enforcing this law !

Any time you pull a trailer without a bulk head you are supposed to have a Headache Rack on the tractor. Every nite I see many flatbeds going down the road with no bulkhead and no headache rack. I guess DOT is very laxed in enforcing this law !

Air-Ride..., is that DOT, or just a darn good safety procedure? I'm in dry freight 38 yrs. and have zero flatbed knowledge. I agree, I see them all the time without bulk heads and HA racks. It wouldn't be me behind the wheel.

Air-Ride..., is that DOT, or just a darn good safety procedure? I'm in dry freight 38 yrs. and have zero flatbed knowledge. I agree, I see them all the time without bulk heads and HA racks. It wouldn't be me behind the wheel.

Hauled steel 8 years before freight, and from what looks like a load of a lot of different sizes of beams and such, I would guess the load may not have been tied down like it should have. Used to see guys hauling 1 steel coil weighing 35- 40 thousand, and only put 2 chains over the top. Accident waiting to happen.

Hauled steel 8 years before freight, and from what looks like a load of a lot of different sizes of beams and such, I would guess the load may not have been tied down like it should have. Used to see guys hauling 1 steel coil weighing 35- 40 thousand, and only put 2 chains over the top. Accident waiting to happen.

Couldn't agree more Brother! When I see that...I give them the road and a wide birth ! I don't want that coil in my lap.

You are no longer required to have a headache rack on your truck.

I don't know for sure Jumbo ,that may be the case now. I know that in my 42 years trucking I have seen DOT make someone that was loaded and didn't have one get one installed right at the scale before they would release them. I have seen this in Arkansas, Missouri, California and Pa. I haven't seen this done in the last few years though. I know I would at least have a headache rack though.

Been there, done that and have a little to add:
1) Headache rack used to be required and I had a copper lay in wait for me to pull out of a truckstop to give me ticket. I was pulling company trailer, my trailer had nice bulkhead on it so the tractor did not. He just wanted his money, he told me, "What you do after I'm gone I won't know about".
2) Headache rack would have no effect on that load coming through the cab, could be reason that law no longer exists if it is in fact gone.
3) The one and only trick to contain 40,000 or more lbs of steel is to stop it from getting moving to start with. Once it's moving it's all over.
4) What puzzles me is when I see steel loads tied down with straps instead of chains.

I looked up the rules for what is required for cargo restraints and found out what is required by FMCSVA. I found out that a head board or bulk is actually required when loaded under the new rule dated 9/27/2002. Part 393.114 specifically addresses front end structures and all the rest of the rules for open trailers can be found in the FMCSVA Cargo Securement Rules. Very interesting reading for anyone that's interested.

I looked up the rules for what is required for cargo restraints and found out what is required by FMCSVA. I found out that a head board or bulk is actually required when loaded under the new rule dated 9/27/2002. Part 393.114 specifically addresses front end structures and all the rest of the rules for open trailers can be found in the FMCSVA Cargo Securement Rules. Very interesting reading for anyone that's interested.

You sir would be wrong. The rule was changed in 2006. As long as you have 1) A temporary structure, such as dunnage stacked up and chained down. 2) a chain around the front of the article preventing forward movement. or 3) two securements in the first five feet of the article being transported then you do not need a permanent front end structure on the trailer or a headache rack on the truck. I had a handout from my company clarifying the new rule changes, even though our trucks are equipped with headache racks.

I have been a freight hauler for the last 15 of my 42 years on the road. There would be no reason for the company I work for to pass out a flyer about this change. I can only go by what is on the FMCSVA web site. Jumbo101 Do you happen to know why this change is not posted on the web site ? Enough said !!!!