XPO | OSHA targets con-way over forklift death

I'm willing to bet about .0001% of us have ever used the seatbelt on their forklift. As far as my own terminal, I can't ever recall be told to use it. The way we operate on our docks, it's really not practical to use them, but I'm sure OSHA doesn't care about practicality.
Very sad that someone lost his life just doing his job, though.
Does anyone know the story of how the accident happened?

It is too bad the company is held responsible for the actions of an employee not smart enough to wear the appropriate safety equipment. What ever happened to "personal responsibility"? The company shouldn't have to tell you to do the right thing, you should be responsible enough to do it yourself.

More idiotic nanny state BS.

I'm willing to bet about .0001% of us have ever used the seatbelt on their forklift. As far as my own terminal, I can't ever recall be told to use it. The way we operate on our docks, it's really not practical to use them, but I'm sure OSHA doesn't care about practicality.
Very sad that someone lost his life just doing his job, though.
Does anyone know the story of how the accident happened?

Im just slightly North of XNH at XPP and from what we know for whatever reason, when his forkilift fell off the dock he was still on it. He then tried to "escape" as it was leaning over and thats when the forklift landed on his head, crushing him. We had a big safety meeting afterwards stating that IF you did find yourself in this situation to infact STAY seated as is and let the roll cage of the lift deflect the fall...minimizing the chances of you being crushed like Luke.

Again, this is the version we got, so take it as you will.

Im just slightly North of XNH at XPP and from what we know for whatever reason, when his forkilift fell off the dock he was still on it. He then tried to "escape" as it was leaning over and thats when the forklift landed on his head, crushing him. We had a big safety meeting afterwards stating that IF you did find yourself in this situation to infact STAY seated as is and let the roll cage of the lift deflect the fall...minimizing the chances of you being crushed like Luke.

Again, this is the version we got, so take it as you will.
It's hard to say how a person will react at that moment. I hope that most would do the "right" thing and brace yourself for the impact if you are ever in that situation. No matter the thoughts on the job, it's not worth your life.
God bless Luke and his family. I hope his friends and coworkers will help them through these sad times.

It is too bad the company is held responsible for the actions of an employee not smart enough to wear the appropriate safety equipment. What ever happened to "personal responsibility"? The company shouldn't have to tell you to do the right thing, you should be responsible enough to do it yourself.

More idiotic nanny state BS.

Are you for real??? Conway has never that I have known told me, or anything I know to where a seatbelt on a forklift...nor are there seatbelts on all the forklifts.

Conway is a "work by way to get things done until we get sued" type of company...if you even work for conway, and have for any length of time, you would know this...

i never noticed seatbelts on a lift, i dont even wear em in my car i get greif from my wife but its my choice not big brothers

Are you for real???

Is that rhetorical?

Conway has never that I have known told me, or anything I know to where a seatbelt on a forklift

Are you not an adult? Do you not know how to operate a seatbelt or know why you should wear one?

Conway is a "work by way to get things done until we get sued" type of company...if you even work for conway, and have for any length of time, you would know this...

I did my time in Con-way...I know how they work.

I don't look to some corporation to tell me how to live my life. I prefer to think for myself.

This country is going to hell because everyone is looking for someone else to take care of them.

Is that rhetorical?

Are you not an adult? Do you not know how to operate a seatbelt or know why you should wear one?

I did my time in Con-way...I know how they work.

I don't look to some corporation to tell me how to live my life. I prefer to think for myself.

This country is going to hell because everyone is looking for someone else to take care of them.

Rhetorical?? Yes...

Conway is very very good at preaching the safe tune...but when it comes to walking the talk (conway management term only) they stumble, trip, fall, get up and take an easier route...

I cannot speak for most companies, but I can speak for my observations while here at conway...i have seen many many people get hurt at work because of something which should have been done in a different and more safe manner. I have seen people get hurt (myself included) because management is too lazy or indifferent about safety concerns of employees.

Conway is not a safe place to work. But conway management will ALWAYS take the cheaper, less safe way out of everything they do. They have for 9 years that I know of, and I foresee no reason why they will change without expensive fines and such. OSHA should not stop with the few incidents sited in the original link..they should investigate further, at more terminals, and as a company in hole.

You know, your entire orginal post and subsequent response is some what annoying. You know nothing of the incident in which you were replying to. At our terminal, our dock has gets slick when the humidity goes up. Slick like snot. I have seen many people slide into doors and walls with the forklifts because of this. Fortunately, while our dock is in operation, 98% of our 50 doors are usually plugged with a trailer. Eventually though, someone will slide a forklift off the dock and get hurt. Why? A couple of reasons...the company is too cheap to do whatever needs to be done to prevent the slippery conditions, and they surely will not insist on the operation being slowed down to a safer pace to prevent accidents/injuries...

You stating you did your time with conway and should be well aware of the working conditions on the docks, surprises me that one would even suggest OSHA shouldnt fine conway in the manner that they did.

At our terminal, our dock has gets slick when the humidity goes up. Slick like snot. I have seen many people slide into doors and walls with the forklifts because of this. Fortunately, while our dock is in operation, 98% of our 50 doors are usually plugged with a trailer. Eventually though, someone will slide a forklift off the dock and get hurt. Why? A couple of reasons...the company is too cheap to do whatever needs to be done to prevent the slippery conditions, and they surely will not insist on the operation being slowed down to a safer pace to prevent accidents/injuries...

This is a totally different issue than someone getting hurt because they chose to not wear a seatbelt.

All I said, is that people should be held responsible for their own actions. If someone has to be told to wear a seatbelt, maybe they shouldn't be behind the wheel. What other situation will they find themselves in that they would need to be told what to do?

Maybe if you take the slick concrete issue to Dave, he'll jump right on it...:biglaugh:

Last Time I worked at Con-Way they had NO Seatbelts on any of the forklifts. NONE as in Zip, NADA. Zero. (7-6-06)

So how can one choose when you are directed to use the forklift to do your job? As Far as training on a forklift I did recieve it a 5 minute course at XPN. And he is correct the floors get very slippery and dangerous when they are wet. I have witnesses tons of freight damage due to forklift operator driving too fast for conditions and puncture the forks thru Haz-Mat. NICE.

slick conditions

i would like to say that when conditions on the docks become a saftey issue, slow the hell down. i dont care what who tells you if there is a problem with it shut it down and immediatley call the saftey man right then and there if they give you any grief. i will and i have.

I cant help but think that there were a few at fault here.
1.The Dock FOS. For not checking the trailer for load factor, Placing a trailer seal on the closed trailer door.
2. The driver or hostler who pulled the trailer out of the dock to check and see if the trailer had no freight on it if it was a empty, the door was closed before removing it from the dock. He had to hear a forklift on it when he removed the wheel chocks.
I do not know what the circumstances were at the time but as all accidents there are a few factors in what happened.
It is tragic for the family of this driver of the forklift because according to the article he had a few years their. Accidents do happen and Con-Way is not the only company to go Through this. I am sure a lot more companies have had this or worse happen. They should fair Through this. Con-Way was not the worst company around when it came to safety.

I do remember going Through forklift safety training every year. at XPN we had to carry Forklift operator cards. If you did not get yours you were sent home, or had to get retrained. I am sure you all have sat Through those safety videos.

:hide: May his family be strong in this time of turmoil. That being said, Con-Way cares about the BOTTOM LINE, that is the bottom line!!!!! :smilie_132:

:hide: May his family be strong in this time of turmoil. That being said, Con-Way cares about the BOTTOM LINE, that is the bottom line!!!!! :smilie_132:
You honestly believe that they don't care about someone losing their life? A little extreme, don't you think?

On a separate note, one story had a Con-way spokesman mention that all employees are familiar with the operator's manual of the forklift. Huh? Have you ever seen one?

You honestly believe that they don't care about someone losing their life? A little extreme, don't you think?

:hide: In as much as it affects the BOTTOM LINE, yes I do think they care about someone losing their life. Other than that, they DO NOT CARE!!!
These people are so endeared with the BOTTOM LINE that is all they care about.
Sure, they are going to say they care if you or I get killed at work, but the BOTTOM LINE is, how does it affect the BOTTOM LINE?
I truly believe that when a tragedy like this one happens, they all gather in the war room and discuss whether there will be a lawsuit, and for how much $ will we settle, without going to court, or admitting wrong doing.
This company, and many others have gone from greedy to MORE greedy, what is it going to cost me?
If you think otherwise, you need to wake up and smell the coffee!!!
We are, and I quote bankrupt " Worker Units " nothing more more, nothing less!!!
When one worker unit is gone, they will relish the thought of replacing it with another one that makes intro wage instead of full scale.
I remember, way back when, this company valued their employees. Sad to say, those days are gone!!!!
If you think that the Board Of Directiors cares about your life.........Think Again!!!
Sorry to be so cynical, but this is real life!
Again, I offer my sincere condolenses to this drivers family, and do not want my beliefs to in any way to make them feel bad. I only speak the truth. :smilie_132:

I do believe Con-way cares about someone losing their life. However, I believe they care more about the bottom line than the person's loss of life.

It is clear that Con-Way blatantly ignores safety regulations. However, it is just as much the operators responsibility to follow safety rules and use some common sense.

This is a totally different issue than someone getting hurt because they chose to not wear a seatbelt.

All I said, is that people should be held responsible for their own actions. If someone has to be told to wear a seatbelt, maybe they shouldn't be behind the wheel. What other situation will they find themselves in that they would need to be told what to do?

Maybe if you take the slick concrete issue to Dave, he'll jump right on it...:biglaugh:

Even if i was to subject myself to your beliefs...why didnt the supervisor ensure the DSR wore the seatbelt??? Thats his job as a direct representative of conway management...

Regardless...OSHA isnt fining conway so as they can give the money to the deceased DSR's estate...they are fining conway to punish them for not enforcing their safety policies...simple as that. no matter how you slice it..conway failed.