FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, I guess...scam, please elaborate...
The politician from Texas. Catering to the grocery, and distribution type lobbyists. Say the driver is getting hosed by a warehouse for the usual reasons, and instead of on duty time, he goes off duty, for 3 hours, most likely unpaid, just to conserve drive hours to make next delivery, or pickup. Why should he have to go off duty? Why not charge from arrival time until leave time, and get paid? Why should the receivers, or shipper always hold the upper hand over the driver? At least if he is compensated for wait time, he would make mileage, and hourly for probably 13 hours a day.

What is your time worth? (from the view of an O/O)

https://www.overdriveonline.com/what-is-your-time-worth/

"Just last week, I discussed some of my income and expense calculations with another owner-operator. In terms of net profit per hour (income over my expenses — pay to myself as driver not included in expense numbers), I averaged around $45 last year. With changes in the market this year I’ve been hitting around $70/hour. My friend, who was used to looking at per-mile rates, was shocked: “We can’t charge that much! No one would pay it!”

I tried to help her see that the reality is we do, and must, charge this much to cover our value as drivers and business owners."

Smart Cities, Crash Data, Marijuana Make ATRI's Top Research Priorities List

http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/st...make-atri-s-top-research-priorities-list.aspx

"Each year, ATRI’s research advisory committee develops the list of topics at the group’s annual meeting. The topics are then vetted and approved by the ATRI board of directors, which announced its approval of this year's list. The list for 2018 mirrors new technological and societal changes that may have an effect on the trucking industry."

The politician from Texas. Catering to the grocery, and distribution type lobbyists. Say the driver is getting hosed by a warehouse for the usual reasons, and instead of on duty time, he goes off duty, for 3 hours, most likely unpaid, just to conserve drive hours to make next delivery, or pickup. Why should he have to go off duty? Why not charge from arrival time until leave time, and get paid? Why should the receivers, or shipper always hold the upper hand over the driver? At least if he is compensated for wait time, he would make mileage, and hourly for probably 13 hours a day.
Some people are still gripping about having to take 30 minute break. Go figure...

That’s a decision the driver’s would have to make since not every driver services grocery warehouses. For the ones who do they “should” have the option to log “on duty” and get paid for the delay OR take the time as “off duty”, not get paid, and save that time towards their 11/14.

Why punish everyone because of what some have to deal with?

That’s a decision the driver’s would have to make since not every driver services grocery warehouses. For the ones who do they “should” have the option to log “on duty” and get paid for the delay OR take the time as “off duty”, not get paid, and save that time towards their 11/14.

Why punish everyone because of what some have to deal with?
But why should the driver have to go off duty unpaid? Just because the warehouse receiving uses the normal phony excuse they are behind? Every trucking company seems ok to let shippers, and receivers, dump on the driver.

But why should the driver have to go off duty unpaid? Just because the warehouse receiving uses the normal phony excuse they are behind? Every trucking company seems ok to let shippers, and receivers, dump on the driver.
That’s why I said the driver “should” have the option IMO. No bill is going to be perfect, you can’t please everybody.

Then dispatch will play their little games with you and you will get punished one way or another my friend , you know that .
Agreed but two can play that game, I looked at it as they’re just punishing themselves. If they wanted to put a hammer on a ::shit:: wagon then so be it, I could milk that ::shit:: wagon just as good as anyone else. Eventually they’d grow up and get over it.

I agree, in part, but there are so many scenarios. Many still ripe for abuse.

I my opinion, for such an option to be of legitimate value, it must only apply to sleeper trucks. NO sleeper, no such option. Certainly NOT suitable for city, nor LTL road (day cabs), on a daily basis, as proposed.
The trouble is, your argument applies to both daycabs and sleepers in equal measure. The resolution here is to start holding to the fire the feet of people who would consider that acceptable practice.

The trucking industry is bleeding drivers profusely because the practice of expecting a driver to sit for free is now considered unacceptable and drivers that used to tolerate it are refusing now. They can't recruit new drivers for the same reason.

Nobody wants to be away from home for 2 weeks.
Likewise, nobody wants to work for free. The trucking industry is being forced to face that right now, and the time-waster warehouses that tell you "we expect you there at 7am" and then make you wait in line for one of their ten doors are now being refused by carriers because a driver's time is important now.

If a city driver who is paid by the hour is stupid enough to give up three hours of pay instead of leaving because the shipper is too slow, that's on them. Especially when carriers are starting to say "if you're not ready to load us, you obviously don't want your freight shipped bad enough, so call us when you're ready". Sitting at the dock all day for free is just simply no longer acceptable. Not unless the driver is an idiot.

The trouble is, your argument applies to both daycabs and sleepers in equal measure. The resolution here is to start holding to the fire the feet of people who would consider that acceptable practice.

The trucking industry is bleeding drivers profusely because the practice of expecting a driver to sit for free is now considered unacceptable and drivers that used to tolerate it are refusing now. They can't recruit new drivers for the same reason.

Nobody wants to be away from home for 2 weeks.
Likewise, nobody wants to work for free. The trucking industry is being forced to face that right now, and the time-waster warehouses that tell you "we expect you there at 7am" and then make you wait in line for one of their ten doors are now being refused by carriers because a driver's time is important now.

If a city driver who is paid by the hour is stupid enough to give up three hours of pay instead of leaving because the shipper is too slow, that's on them. Especially when carriers are starting to say "if you're not ready to load us, you obviously don't want your freight shipped bad enough, so call us when you're ready". Sitting at the dock all day for free is just simply no longer acceptable. Not unless the driver is an idiot.

True, BUT... There are ignorant drivers, both city and road. Dare I say it, there are also O/Os ignorant, and willing to tolerate it.

It's one thing to pull out with an empty trailer... Quite a different thing when you have a load than you must get rid of, to pick up the next. The customer has that driver by the balls, with little recourse, other than learn from the mistake.

Extending a drivers day due to such scenarios seems counter to the intent of the rules on proper rest. Charging for the time seems to be the best approach, either by contract or regulation seems like a better plan.

NO one has yet said how a driver without a sleeper is to get actual rest for a couple of hours... Or are we really just talking about a log entry?

E-commerce continues to drive changes to delivery methods, vehicle choices

http://www.fleetowner.com/fleet-man...m=email&elq2=623468e1700d4a068c4e84af5922b8f3

xpo-lastmile_5.jpg

NO one has yet said how a driver without a sleeper is to get actual rest for a couple of hours... Or are we really just talking about a log entry?
There’s a reason for this...because those in a day cab are home every day/night and usually don’t need a three hour “rest break”...much less the 30 min “nanny break” currently required!! It’s more about a log entry for us in order to save time on our 11/14 and 70/8....the proposed bill would benefit both day cab and sleeper drivers.

Your argument of “grocery warehouses” which results in “working for free” is a separate negative issue that should/could be addressed with a different bill, there are many other positives where this bill would benefit sleeper drivers...as previously mentioned.

True, BUT... There are ignorant drivers, both city and road. Dare I say it, there are also O/Os ignorant, and willing to tolerate it.

It's one thing to pull out with an empty trailer... Quite a different thing when you have a load than you must get rid of, to pick up the next. The customer has that driver by the balls, with little recourse, other than learn from the mistake.

Extending a drivers day due to such scenarios seems counter to the intent of the rules on proper rest. Charging for the time seems to be the best approach, either by contract or regulation seems like a better plan.

I've seen plenty of guys in daycabs catching a nap at a rest area. It's not impossible without a sleeper, just less comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.