FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
E-commerce continues to drive changes to delivery methods, vehicle choices

http://www.fleetowner.com/fleet-man...m=email&elq2=623468e1700d4a068c4e84af5922b8f3

xpo-lastmile_5.jpg
How you like my partner, and my matching carpet, and shoe covers? EH?

Think this was habit forming on my part, I left Charl, at midnight for
Jax. 391 mi. rare when I didn't get at least 1 nap.
I've heard tale of some old fellas who learned the hard way not to use the steering wheel as a pillow. I heard some others who insisted that if you hooked your arms around the spokes just right, you'd eventually go numb enough to sleep.

Me? I prefer leaning back in the seat and using the seatbelt as head support. I can usually get 45 minutes of rest that way. It's no habit, but sometimes a little nap is good for getting you through your shift!

I've heard tale of some old fellas who learned the hard way not to use the steering wheel as a pillow. I heard some others who insisted that if you hooked your arms around the spokes just right, you'd eventually go numb enough to sleep.

Me? I prefer leaning back in the seat and using the seatbelt as head support. I can usually get 45 minutes of rest that way. It's no habit, but sometimes a little nap is good for getting you through your shift!

I could never sleep on the wheel, our Freightliners had National seats,
worked just like a recliner, you could get the job done.

I could never sleep on the wheel, our Freightliners had National seats,
worked just like a recliner, you could get the job done.
Huh...I let all of the air out of the driver’s seat, position my cooler between the seats with my old padded log book on top so my rear or hip sits perfectly, with my feet in the passenger seat and my head in the driver’s seat while using my jacket for a pillow...sleep like a baby (waking up every two hours looking for a nipple)!!

Also agree, naps are habit forming which is why I try not to take them...once you start your body relies on them IMO!!

my log showed almost 40 mins of “on duty” time while I was sitting in the road, behind the wheel, brakes released, for 45 mins. Under this new bill, I could’ve logged those 45 mins as “off duty” thus saving that time toward my 11/14.

Couple problems I have with this. Logging this scenario as on duty/not driving is perfectly reasonable. As for 45 minutes, sitting with brakes released, why would you not set the brakes? :scratchhead:

Logging THAT time as off duty, even with brakes set, and even out of the cab, can NOT be justified as off duty. You are still in attendance of the vehicle, and not free to come and go.

I see that "some" are convinced that 14 hours is just not enough. We simply MUST have the option to extent the day to 17, if needed. Even if it means sleeping on a board between the seats (logging off duty), using a jacket as a pillow. :clapping:

The above doesn't sound like a "profession" worth being a part of. Also sounds a LOT like the working conditions Hoffa senior fought against. Just go off duty, driver. We'll let you know when it's time to go on duty. :thumbsdown:

Want to see the driver shortage get really bad? Start by allowing/requiring 14-17 hour days...

Huh...I let all of the air out of the driver’s seat, position my cooler between the seats with my old padded log book on top so my rear or hip sits perfectly, with my feet in the passenger seat and my head in the driver’s seat while using my jacket for a pillow...sleep like a baby (waking up every two hours looking for a nipple)!!

Also agree, naps are habit forming which is why I try not to take them...once you start your body relies on them IMO!!

I know leaving Jax at 1700 or 1800 was the best driving time.
but was very rare I caught a nap coming home.

Couple problems I have with this. Logging this scenario as on duty/not driving is perfectly reasonable. As for 45 minutes, sitting with brakes released, why would you not set the brakes? :scratchhead:

Logging THAT time as off duty, even with brakes set, and even out of the cab, can NOT be justified as off duty. You are still in attendance of the vehicle, and not free to come and go.
I sit with brakes released because you never know when you’re gonna start moving...and inching up along the way will NOT cause the AOBRD to change your duty status.

That’s my point, but yet it can be classified as “abuse” IMO.

I see that "some" are convinced that 14 hours is just not enough. We simply MUST have the option to extent the day to 17, if needed. Even if it means sleeping on a board between the seats (logging off duty), using a jacket as a pillow. :clapping:

The above doesn't sound like a "profession" worth being a part of. Also sounds a LOT like the working conditions Hoffa senior fought against. Just go off duty, driver. We'll let you know when it's time to go on duty. :thumbsdown:

Want to see the driver shortage get really bad? Start by allowing/requiring 14-17 hour days...
The debate has nothing to do with 14 hours being “just not enough”, actually those of us in day cabs would probably rarely use the “extension” that this bill would allow. It’s more about doing away with the “mandatory” 30 min nannny break and allowing us to option to use the proposed “extension” if needed.

I don’t know of anyone who wants to extend their already long day any longer just because they can!! This proposed bill would actually allow “some” (sleepers) to end their long days sooner.

The debate has nothing to do with 14 hours being “just not enough”, actually those of us in day cabs would probably rarely use the “extension” that this bill would allow. It’s more about doing away with the “mandatory” 30 min nannny break and allowing us to option to use the proposed “extension” if needed.

I don’t know of anyone who wants to extend their already long day any longer just because they can!! This proposed bill would actually allow “some” (sleepers) to end their long days sooner.
It definitely applies primarily to sleepers. The only reason I don't think ruling out daycabs specifically makes sense is because a daycab driver has other options for using "rest time" such as getting a good meal.

It definitely applies primarily to sleepers. The only reason I don't think ruling out daycabs specifically makes sense is because a daycab driver has other options for using "rest time" such as getting a good meal.
Most day cab drivers bring their lunch from home...you can tell the ones who eat on the road because they rarely have a “good meal”!! This is evident by those who are new to the road from the city, most put on about 30 lbs within the first few months!!

Status
Not open for further replies.