FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100% with your premise but I wouldn’t be so sure about how the scales are tilted...should we be reminded of their last contract and how Hoffa and the boys rammed that one down their throats??

And should they go on strike (which we know they won’t, the authorization is just a formality), who is going to show them sympathy?? They’re already the highest paid with the best bennies in the industry, let the people not be able to ship/receive their packages and there’ll be a mutiny in streets...and in today’s society, it won’t be the company’s head the people will be after either IMO.

It’s going to be interesting to say the least...
While being reminded of the last contract, "rammed down their throat", we must also be reminded... that was the very contract that made them the "highest paid with the best bennies in the industry". Also worth remembering, the vast majority had approved while a small minority were holding the above "best in the industry" contract hostage.

The current sticking point?

"At issue is how the shipping giant will expand to offer deliveries seven days a week.

UPS (UPS) began offering regular Saturday delivery service just a year ago. It hasn't officially announced plans for Sunday service, but the union says the company has made several proposals to expand weekend deliveries.

One proposal on the negotiating table is to create a two-tier wage system that would take part-time workers who earn $15 an hour and make them full-time at the same wage. Existing full-time drivers now earn an average of $36 an hour, or roughly $75,000 a year.

The Teamsters are divided on this proposal, which makes it harder to reach a deal and avoid a strike."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/05/news/companies/ups-teamsters-negotiations/index.html

The proposal includes a no overtime plan, for these entry level (part time to full time) drivers. The 40 hour week will include weekends (Sat & Sun), with no premium paid. Also the option to use them inside as sorters/handlers (as needed) is proposed.

The above points don't seem beneficial enough to justify a hard line position, by the Company. The IBT seems good with it, as they are said to have proposed it, against membership sentiment. The tangled web Hoffa weaves... Will current membership sacrifice these low level workers, in order to remain unaffected? A slippery slope, long term? Quite a bit of room for negotiation, which I'd predict will occur.

As far as sympathy, do we think the that Company will get much, considering the wage undercut of their hardworking Package guys? Can't say for sure, and I'm not sure that it matters...

...I'm saying there are plenty of other companies that are not unionized who could pick up the slack. It wasn't the end of the world for customers when CF collapsed, was it? Several thousand trucks and trailers off the road one day and almost nobody noticed because everyone else stepped in to fill the void.

It was a different market when CF went down. there was capacity available to cover that one.

While there ARE companies that would try to handle it, there is just not the capacity realistically available. Gridlock will kill any presumed golden goose.

We're talking about 260,000 people. To think that workload will be absorbed by craigslist, FedEx, or anyone (everyone?) else is not well founded.

"UPS delivers roughly 19 million shipments a day. It holds the largest market share of the U.S. among the top three logistics providers at 36 percent. The U.S. Postal Service holds 35 percent, while FedEx accounts for 17 percent."

https://www.inc.com/yasmin-gagne/ups-biggest-strike-in-decades.html

As I recall 1997, the last time they went on strike, there was a point where we (American Freightways) turned away all new customer business. The wisdom was to maintain service to existing customers (honor your commitments). A smart decision, IMHO. Still the additional volume from the existing customer base was significant & challenging.

Not sure about the current climate to the north, but down here many are very near capacity. Less than 10% available, on paper (in theory) in a fully staffed workplace. Not sure anyone is fully staffed, today. I can promise you not everyone is...

*Probably need a dedicated thread for this topic, at some point...

Last edited:
While being reminded of the last contract, "rammed down their throat", we must also be reminded... that was the very contract that made them the "highest paid with the best bennies in the industry". Also worth remembering, the vast majority had approved while a small minority were holding the above "best in the industry" contract hostage.

The current sticking point?

"At issue is how the shipping giant will expand to offer deliveries seven days a week.

UPS (UPS) began offering regular Saturday delivery service just a year ago. It hasn't officially announced plans for Sunday service, but the union says the company has made several proposals to expand weekend deliveries.

One proposal on the negotiating table is to create a two-tier wage system that would take part-time workers who earn $15 an hour and make them full-time at the same wage. Existing full-time drivers now earn an average of $36 an hour, or roughly $75,000 a year.

The Teamsters are divided on this proposal, which makes it harder to reach a deal and avoid a strike."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/05/news/companies/ups-teamsters-negotiations/index.html

The proposal includes a no overtime plan, for these entry level (part time to full time) drivers. The 40 hour week will include weekends (Sat & Sun), with no premium paid. Also the option to use them inside as sorters/handlers (as needed) is proposed.

The above points don't seem beneficial enough to justify a hard line position, by the Company. The IBT seems good with it, as they are said to have proposed it, against membership sentiment. The tangled web Hoffa weaves... Will current membership sacrifice these low level workers, in order to remain unaffected? A slippery slope, long term? Quite a bit of room for negotiation, which I'd predict will occur.

As far as sympathy, do we think the that Company will get much, considering the wage undercut of their hardworking Package guys? Can't say for sure, and I'm not sure that it matters...
True, but it’s these economic issues that “could” hold things up...does the union throw the “part timers“ under the bus against the wishes of their own members in exchange for a contract which would be a win for the company or do they holdout for all members forcing the company to ante up??

Again, it’s going to be interesting...

On another note, I do NOT see UPS striking but most fail to realize just how many delivery companies operate in the US...even Uber offers a delivery service, my tire guy has tires delivered same day from the distribution center to his store by Uber for $8 per delivery....

True, but it’s these economic issues that “could” hold things up...does the union throw the “part timers“ under the bus against the wishes of their own members in exchange for a contract which would be a win for the company or do they holdout for all members forcing the company to ante up??

Again, it’s going to be interesting...

On another note, I do NOT see UPS striking but most fail to realize just how many delivery companies operate in the US...even Uber offers a delivery service, my tire guy has tires delivered same day from the distribution center to his store by Uber for $8 per delivery....

All valid questions. Since I'm not really interested in diving deep into (questionable?) IBT tactics, or the justification being sold to the membership, I'll remain a casual observer. I do hope they get a solid contract, with a path (at minimum) for these part timers to gain full membership. We're going to have no choice but to keep an eye on it, if for no other reason than to see what the IBT does with a perfect storm blowing in a favorable direction...

No one out there has the integrity, capacity, efficiency, and scale, to absorb that business, cost effectively. Uber can and will try at their own peril. For most, it won't go well, IMHO. But "most" will undoubtedly try.

YES, it will be most interesting, if they don't sort something out. Interesting, to a lesser extent, even if/when they do. :popcorn:

Last edited:
All valid questions. Since I'm not really interested in diving deep into (questionable?) IBT tactics, or the justification being sold to the membership, I'll remain a casual observer. I do hope they get a solid contract, with a path (at minimum) for these part timers to gain full membership. We're going to have no choice but to keep an eye on it, if for no other reason than to see what the IBT does with a perfect storm blowing in a favorable direction...

No one out there has the integrity, capacity, efficiency, and scale, to absorb that business, cost effectively. Uber can and will try at their own peril. For most, it won't go well, IMHO. But "most" will undoubtedly try.

YES, it will be most interesting, if they don't sort something out. Interesting, to a lesser extent, even if/when they do. :popcorn:
Agreed...the part timers have been getting dumped on for years...

Not suggesting anyone could absorb that much market share, that’s almost impossible, just pointing out that there’s more delivery companies out there then people realize...and you know Bezos would love to get some of that market share!!

Agreed...the part timers have been getting dumped on for years...

Not suggesting anyone could absorb that much market share, that’s almost impossible, just pointing out that there’s more delivery companies out there then people realize...and you know Bezos would love to get some of that market share!!

Where do part timers go to not get dumped on? Lmao

It was a different market when CF went down. there was capacity available to cover that one.

While there ARE companies that would try to handle it, there is just not the capacity realistically available. Gridlock will kill any presumed golden goose.

We're talking about 260,000 people. To think that workload will be absorbed by craigslist, FedEx, or anyone (everyone?) else is not well founded.

"UPS delivers roughly 19 million shipments a day. It holds the largest market share of the U.S. among the top three logistics providers at 36 percent. The U.S. Postal Service holds 35 percent, while FedEx accounts for 17 percent."

https://www.inc.com/yasmin-gagne/ups-biggest-strike-in-decades.html

As I recall 1997, the last time they went on strike, there was a point where we (American Freightways) turned away all new customer business. The wisdom was to maintain service to existing customers (honor your commitments). A smart decision, IMHO. Still the additional volume from the existing customer base was significant & challenging.

Not sure about the current climate to the north, but down here many are very near capacity. Less than 10% available, on paper (in theory) in a fully staffed workplace. Not sure anyone is fully staffed, today. I can promise you not everyone is...

*Probably need a dedicated thread for this topic, at some point...
Oh I wasn't trying to suggest it could be sufficiently covered. But many would try. Despite a lot of asserting that there's no capacity, I am positive that there is.

Up here, we have a number of couriers that could pick up the slack. In fact, a number of them already work with UPS; exchanging UPS' transborder service for service to UPS customers in areas where UPS does not reach. UPS is actually pretty small up here, and I have moved linehaul for them with the company I'm at now because they don't do all of their own here. They also work with Purolator, Canpar and Loomis Express. SLH Transport covers some linehaul. Loomis Express (formerly DHL Canada) works with UPS to fulfill DHL related work, while Canpar and Purolator act as service extensions.

You would be amazed how much work UPS Ground contracts out. I was certainly surprised. Could the contractors pick up all the slack? No. But others would try. UPS going on strike would hurt, but in the age of modern technology freight of all types can be rerouted and delivered almost as needed. A strike would ruin Christmas, but it's summer right now.

Again, it's pretty much moot because they won't strike. Mr. Hoffa would use his presidential powers to enforce a contract before that'd happen.

Delivery Boom Breeds Hiring Crisis: Finding Enough Drivers

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/delivery-boom-breeds-hiring-crisis-finding-enough-drivers

“There are going to be challenges in hiring,” said John Haber of the logistics consultancy Spend Management Experts. “If you follow what’s happening in the truckload market, people cannot find drivers. There are trucking assets that are sitting unused, because they can’t find people to drive the trucks — and those are for high-paid employee positions.”

The lack of truck drivers already is crimping corporate profits.

Since people are more likely to want gig-style work on weekends, Amazon could have trouble finding enough drivers to make weekday deliveries for its on-demand Flex delivery service, which uses “crowdsourced” independent operators, said David Vernon, an analyst with Bernstein Research. That’s among the challenges that could keep Amazon’s Flex unit from threatening the business models of UPS and FedEx, Vernon wrote in a May 24 research note.

Amazon declined to comment."

Chick-Fil-A location to pay employees $18 per hour

https://www.local10.com/money/jobs/chick-fil-a-location-to-pay-employees-18-per-hour

Costco's entry-level workers are getting a raise

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/03/news/companies/costco-minimum-wage-raise/index.html

Proof that the minimum wage is unnecessary? I think so.
I have no problem with paying someone what they’re worth buts let’s face it, a lot fast food employees don’t deserve the minimum wage they’re getting....get the order correct first, then we can talk about a wage increase!!

I have no problem with paying someone what they’re worth buts let’s face it, a lot fast food employees don’t deserve the minimum wage they’re getting....get the order correct first, then we can talk about a wage increase!!

Maybe there are good, skilled, capable employees who would take your order perfectly, but the company decided that they were the biggest expense and their jobs were outsourced.

Maybe there are good, skilled, capable employees who would take your order perfectly, but the company decided that they were the biggest expense and their jobs were outsourced.
That will soon be the case...instead of paying $15 per hour for an entry level job, most are installing kiosk or are offering order by phone to outsource those jobs!!

That will soon be the case...instead of paying $15 per hour for an entry level job, most are installing kiosk or are offering order by phone to outsource those jobs!!

I'm all about limiting human interaction. They just need to hurry up with the helicopter money so I don't have to work anymore either.

Advancing driver pay with automation

https://www.ccjdigital.com/advancin...tm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-top-story

"Some carriers now guarantee a weekly amount to drivers that meet certain conditions. Others have decided to implement an hourly pay structure. And a select few have created salary plans. The variety of performance-based pay and incentives are expanding as well.

Altogether, carriers are getting creative with driver pay and losing the linear relationship that used to exist with their mileage-based rating, billing and payroll processes."

FMCSA Announces Three-Year Delay of Rule to Eliminate Need for Truck Drivers to Carry Their Medical Cards

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/fmcs...minate-need-truck-drivers-carry-their-medical

"Federal trucking regulators have issued a final rule that will delay for three years a streamlined process to eliminate the need for truck drivers to carry their medical certification cards.

The plan, first previewed in April, calls for a compliance delay of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s medical examiners certification integration final rule until June 22, 2021, in part due to a hack of the medical examiner’s website that has left it offline while the agency rebuilds the infrastructure..."

Status
Not open for further replies.