FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
CVSA tells inspectors not to disturb drivers during off-duty/sleeper time for inspections

https://www.ccjdigital.com/cvsa-tel...a3c973&utm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-2

"Updated policy guidance from the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance issued in late September establishes that inspectors should not disrupt drivers’ off-duty or sleeper berth time, when they’re legally parked, for a random inspection."

Funny, this has been my policy all along. Never had an inspector question it. The 2 key points are, "legally parked" and "off duty". Both clearly and legally defendable.

Thwarting Thermal Events

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/thwarting-thermal-events

"A converter dolly connects the trailers, and if the seals between the trailers become contaminated or damaged, the pup trailer can be starved for air, and the rear brakes start activating. “There is also a situation called false charging on the rear trailer,” Long said.

What’s more, slack adjusters could create a problem if they’re too tight.

Southeastern Freight Lines changed some preventive maintenance practices, and technicians do a deeper dive on the valving on the trailers to ensure they are operational until the next PM, Long said.

“We also changed specs so water, dirt, sand, snow and ice can’t get into the system,” he added.

Because it takes air to release the brakes, if there is an air leak, brakes will start to drag because there isn’t enough pressure to release them, Kenan Advantage’s Altrichter said."

"Long said the fleet also uses tire inflation systems, which illuminate a light when there is a low tire or a tire that is being aired up. This alerts the driver and prevents a low tire from creating a larger-scale problem."

Good article.
Many points most drivers don't think about or are difficult to check.

Difficult to check enough wheel bearing lubrication without sight glass.
I occasionally feel some pups with rolling resistance but not loaded very heavy.
Some pups have low emergency air flow through the back hook up, which could be one of the many culprits.

“Drivers tell me that with the automatic transmissions and the way things are geared today, they don’t necessarily feel anything,” Altrichter said, adding that drivers should notice sparks and smoke if they’re paying attention.

Thwarting Thermal Events

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/thwarting-thermal-events

"A converter dolly connects the trailers, and if the seals between the trailers become contaminated or damaged, the pup trailer can be starved for air, and the rear brakes start activating. “There is also a situation called false charging on the rear trailer,” Long said.

What’s more, slack adjusters could create a problem if they’re too tight.

Southeastern Freight Lines changed some preventive maintenance practices, and technicians do a deeper dive on the valving on the trailers to ensure they are operational until the next PM, Long said.

“We also changed specs so water, dirt, sand, snow and ice can’t get into the system,” he added.

Because it takes air to release the brakes, if there is an air leak, brakes will start to drag because there isn’t enough pressure to release them, Kenan Advantage’s Altrichter said."

"Long said the fleet also uses tire inflation systems, which illuminate a light when there is a low tire or a tire that is being aired up. This alerts the driver and prevents a low tire from creating a larger-scale problem."
Where is this light? Have yet to see one. Must be on the newly birthed kws

The tire inflation light is on the driver side front of trailers and dollys with central air inflation.
White light when inflating.
Yep, they've been part of the fleet for over a decade now at FedEx. And, like all good things, everyone found a way to disable it when the light persisted. Once I learned how it was done, I started checking all trailers I was assigned to ensure the system was working correctly.

Los Hobdos, CA.(AP). Tesla teams up with Coop Dispatch to deliver cars before Dec. 31!https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/15/t...-to-squeeze-in-more-deliveries-before-dec-31/
Fake news. Musk purposely avoided Coop due to the time Donna hired those part time Moldovans to deliver those Model 3s for an exhibit at the LA auto show and they drove through the Yosemite tunnel cuz they thought it was a shortcut and proceeded to knock the whole top row off onto the highway.

Fake news. Musk purposely avoided Coop due to the time Donna hired those part time Moldovans to deliver those Model 3s for an exhibit at the LA auto show and they drove through the Yosemite tunnel cuz they thought it was a shortcut and proceeded to knock the whole top row off onto the highway.

I told you hiring 00 to train those guys was a mistake.

Yep, they've been part of the fleet for over a decade now at FedEx. And, like all good things, everyone found a way to disable it when the light persisted. Once I learned how it was done, I started checking all trailers I was assigned to ensure the system was working correctly.

Hope you guys are changing air in the tires on a regular basis, you'll get a lot better fuel milage.
Also change the Canadian air when you cross the boarder.

15 mph rule apparently not in effect??

I told you hiring 00 to train those guys was a mistake.
Hey now Coop dispatch didn't have a Moldvan translator on duty when the training program was going on . they couldn't figure out how to use the height stick that was in English, told them they should only use a 3 car wedge trailer but wouldn't listen and since we don't have roof farings 15 mph never appiles to us, besides that they only drive by GPS and it told them to go that way, I think wong was invovled in that and they got the 15 mph rule mistaken for the -15%

Hope you guys are changing air in the tires on a regular basis, you'll get a lot better fuel milage.
Also change the Canadian air when you cross the boarder.
Canadian air is better than American air. We import it to you for free because you like it so much and we have plenty of it.

Hell, I used to bring two pups full of Canadian air to Toledo sometimes! And almost always one pup full. Customs always cleared it!

FMCSA amends fuel hauler exemption from 30-minute rest break (to include propane gas as a specified fuel).

https://www.fleetowner.com/regulati...m=email&elq2=9433f508e3f64afd997dbd00fe330c97

"...as a security measure, a motor carrier may require that a tank truck transporting certain fuels be attended by the driver when the vehicle is stopped, and a driver attending a CMV is not off duty as required by the rest-break rule. It is also difficult to find safe and secure parking for tank trucks on such short notice."

So... A motor carrier's own rules qualify them for an exemption? Kind of getting out of hand, don't ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.