FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington,DC. (Transport Topics) FMCSA receives petition from Iowa carrier. Spokesperson, Noosh Patel, says Iowa based Coop Dispatch has asked that their drivers be exempt from HOS regulations when either navigating boardwalks, or driving under walking bridge structures. Documents filed with the agency by Coop manager, Big Dave Outwest,claims their CSA score of 223, is very misleading. He stated when his drivers are on a boardwalk, they are actually idling along at less than 2 mph for the safety of pedestrian traffic. He claims their fleet has an astonishing safety record when navigating walkway bridges and viaducts, and only usually contact either structure, less than 15 percent of their total yearly mileage.

Washington,DC. (Transport Topics) FMCSA receives petition from Iowa carrier. Spokesperson, Noosh Patel, says Iowa based Coop Dispatch has asked that their drivers be exempt from HOS regulations when either navigating boardwalks, or driving under walking bridge structures. Documents filed with the agency by Coop manager, Big Dave Outwest,claims their CSA score of 223, is very misleading. He stated when his drivers are on a boardwalk, they are actually idling along at less than 2 mph for the safety of pedestrian traffic. He claims their fleet has an astonishing safety record when navigating walkway bridges and viaducts, and only usually contact either structure, less than 15 percent of their total yearly mileage.

This 15% could be reduced if 15 mph was maintained while traveling on boardwalks, increase in pedestrian
casualties could be counted as collateral damage.

This 15% could be reduced if 15 mph was maintained while traveling on boardwalks, increase in pedestrian
casualties could be counted as collateral damage.
That would be a violation of New Jersey state law,as boardwalk speed statewide is 5 mph. Coop trucks have sensors built into the GPS that will not let engine rpm increase when it picks up contact with any materials comprised of wood.

That would be a violation of New Jersey state law,as boardwalk speed statewide is 5 mph. Coop trucks have sensors built into the GPS that will not let engine rpm increase when it picks up contact with any materials comprised of wood.
Build future boardwalks with IPE, problem solved!
A good transfer driver can always foil any engine governor.

FMCSA Rule Eliminating Exemptions for Diabetic Drivers Takes Effect

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/rule-eliminating-exemptions-diabetic-drivers-takes-effect

"After years in limbo, a final rule became effective in November allowing medical examiners — in consultation with a truck driver’s treating clinician — to decide whether an insulin-treated diabetic driver is qualified to get behind the wheel.

The rule eliminates a typical two- or three-month delay for diabetic drivers to navigate a bureaucratic process requesting an exemption from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration after being automatically disqualified for having the condition.

A medical assessment form that requires a driver’s treating physician to submit to an FMCSA-certified medical examiner was approved by the White House Office of Management and Budget just in time for the rule’s Nov. 19 effective date. The final rule was published Sept. 19."

Jason’s Law truck parking survey now open

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/driver-issues/truck-parking-survey-open

"The survey is an update to the Jason’s Law Truck Parking survey conducted in 2015. This survey was mandated by MAP-21, the last major transportation bill. The site says the survey should only take five to seven minutes to complete with responses anonymized and aggregated."

It is available here: https://tti.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eOMh1HWadr3dHyB.

According to the survey, it is “intended to update the 2015 evaluation of the capability of the States to provide adequate parking and rest facilities for commercial motor vehicles engaged in interstate transportation.”

Jason’s Law truck parking survey now open

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/driver-issues/truck-parking-survey-open

"The survey is an update to the Jason’s Law Truck Parking survey conducted in 2015. This survey was mandated by MAP-21, the last major transportation bill. The site says the survey should only take five to seven minutes to complete with responses anonymized and aggregated."

It is available here: https://tti.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eOMh1HWadr3dHyB.

According to the survey, it is “intended to update the 2015 evaluation of the capability of the States to provide adequate parking and rest facilities for commercial motor vehicles engaged in interstate transportation.”
Not making fun of this Swamp, but this survey started 3 years ago, and they are now looking for driver input? So what, in 3 more years they will come out with more data saying yes, in fact there is a truck parking problem? And 6 years has passed, and nothing has changed except millions of taxpayers dollars down the drain concluding there is a problem that everyone knew about more than 6 years ago. But now we have official verification from our government...I can’t wait to see the study done in maybe 10-15 years on where all the self driving trucks will park, even though no human is on board.

Not making fun of this Swamp, but this survey started 3 years ago, and they are now looking for driver input? So what, in 3 more years they will come out with more data saying yes, in fact there is a truck parking problem? And 6 years has passed, and nothing has changed except millions of taxpayers dollars down the drain concluding there is a problem that everyone knew about more than 6 years ago. But now we have official verification from our government...I can’t wait to see the study done in maybe 10-15 years on where all the self driving trucks will park, even though no human is on board.
Agree. Still, it is one of those rare opportunities to actually have input.

New York DOT Removes Controversial Highway Signs

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/new-york-dot-removes-controversial-highway-signs

wild-art-i-love-ny-1205.jpg

"FHWA initially asked for the removal of the signs because they violate regulations outlined in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The agency has claimed the signs potentially are hazardous because they contain too much information and could distract drivers."

"Hems has pointed out that the number of signs creates a sense of “sign fatigue” for truck drivers, which can prompt them to rely on GPS or Google Maps instead of road signage that includes pertinent details such as bridge height."

Agree. Still, it is one of those rare opportunities to actually have input.
The drivers are usually the last ones listened too. I hear people saying all the time, why are there so many cars and trucks on the road? I tell them, low unemployment, more people driving to work, and trucks moving more freight in a good economy. I blame part of the problem on shippers, consignees, and the cities,and states themselves.
Many shipping facilities will not allow layover, or early arrivals to park on their yards.
Many cities have increased no trucks, or no truck parking within city limits.
States with fewer rest areas, and many rest areas do not have a lot of truck parking.
The Feds with HOS regulations has also contributed to drivers looking for a place to park when time is running out for their drive time.
There are also more RV’s on the road, and parking in rest areas, and retail areas.
Just my opinions.

The drivers are usually the last ones listened too. I hear people saying all the time, why are there so many cars and trucks on the road? I tell them, low unemployment, more people driving to work, and trucks moving more freight in a good economy. I blame part of the problem on shippers, consignees, and the cities,and states themselves.
Many shipping facilities will not allow layover, or early arrivals to park on their yards.
Many cities have increased no trucks, or no truck parking within city limits.
States with fewer rest areas, and many rest areas do not have a lot of truck parking.
The Feds with HOS regulations has also contributed to drivers looking for a place to park when time is running out for their drive time.
There are also more RV’s on the road, and parking in rest areas, and retail areas.
Just my opinions.
Making matters all the worse is the 30 minute nanny break, requiring you to find somewhere to park for half an hour and potentially depriving a driver in need of 10 hours off of a needed resting location.

What they've done is force the already too-few truck parking areas to absorb an additional percentage of temporary guests at any time. It's ridiculous.

Making matters all the worse is the 30 minute nanny break, requiring you to find somewhere to park for half an hour and potentially depriving a driver in need of 10 hours off of a needed resting location.

What they've done is force the already too-few truck parking areas to absorb an additional percentage of temporary guests at any time. It's ridiculous.
Great points. It can easily take 45 min (or more) to take an actual 30 min break, by the time legal parking is found. I'd bet this leads to many drivers stopping just anywhere, logging the 30 and rolling, without ever even leaving the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.