FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I have to wonder, what exactly will the center monitor show? The road behind a "linked" trailer, which also has a camera or 3?

And as truckingBORED said, how much monitor light can we really tolerate?
:popcorn:

QMgJN5l.jpg
The one big issue I see is, they want to control your vehicle with all these bells and whistles, but how can you control all the other cars and trucks around you that are totally human controlled? Your right, TBored. They are trying to move this whole concept too fast.

This whole train full of garbage needs to stop, and it needs to stop right now. Nobody seems to be capable of comprehending that you have to be a certain level of independent to be a good professional driver. You have to make judgment calls multiple times a day, and you need a good view of the road around you to do that.

Instead, evermore pressure mounts as the industry eagerly bounds towards the driverless truck they so desperately want. In the meantime we are being expected to endure having our mandatory independence trod on by people who have never spent an afternoon in the cab of a truck. Cameras everywhere so they can make sure you aren't jerking off or sleeping while the autopilot does everything most of the time. Sensors beeping anytime a sign jumps out of the ditch or a car cuts you off. And don't you damage anything!

Now they complain, as drivers quit with ever-increasing disgust for the open disdain our own industry has for the people who do most of the work, that they can't convince anyone to be their robot slave/liability scapegoat for $800 a week. Because you should absolutely give up months of your life and potential future career opportunities to be trained for a job they are actively trying to eliminate. They can't understand why nobody would want to be told constantly that they have no future working a job that pays a fraction of what it should.

If I wasn't so good at what I do...if I didn't enjoy driving a truck...I sure as hell wouldn't be here. And if there should come a day that technology irrevocably interferes with my enjoyment of driving the truck...that day will be the day I exit the industry. Because it doesn't pay that well, it's utterly thankless and almost everyone treats drivers like animals. Driving the truck is the only part of the job that doesn't completely suck. And ::shit:: like these mirror cams and the Wingman are things that start infringing on the driving of the truck.

Whew that was a rant. Time for another beer.

This whole train full of garbage needs to stop, and it needs to stop right now. Nobody seems to be capable of comprehending that you have to be a certain level of independent to be a good professional driver. You have to make judgment calls multiple times a day, and you need a good view of the road around you to do that.

Instead, evermore pressure mounts as the industry eagerly bounds towards the driverless truck they so desperately want. In the meantime we are being expected to endure having our mandatory independence trod on by people who have never spent an afternoon in the cab of a truck. Cameras everywhere so they can make sure you aren't jerking off or sleeping while the autopilot does everything most of the time. Sensors beeping anytime a sign jumps out of the ditch or a car cuts you off. And don't you damage anything!

Now they complain, as drivers quit with ever-increasing disgust for the open disdain our own industry has for the people who do most of the work, that they can't convince anyone to be their robot slave/liability scapegoat for $800 a week. Because you should absolutely give up months of your life and potential future career opportunities to be trained for a job they are actively trying to eliminate. They can't understand why nobody would want to be told constantly that they have no future working a job that pays a fraction of what it should.

If I wasn't so good at what I do...if I didn't enjoy driving a truck...I sure as hell wouldn't be here. And if there should come a day that technology irrevocably interferes with my enjoyment of driving the truck...that day will be the day I exit the industry. Because it doesn't pay that well, it's utterly thankless and almost everyone treats drivers like animals. Driving the truck is the only part of the job that doesn't completely suck. And :::shit::: like these mirror cams and the Wingman are things that start infringing on the driving of the truck.

yea, what he said. I agree

194 Absences Are Enough – Any More and You Can Be Fired. [FMLA]

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/194-absences-are-enough-any-more-and-you-can-be-fired?utm_content=d41968af07153226a6aa9929ace00cc2&utm_campaign=1-4-2019 Labor and Employment News&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

"...summary judgment issued by an Iowa federal court against an employee who sued after being fired for her 195th attendance occurrence in a single year. Most of these occurrences were covered by an approved nine-month leave, but when the employee returned from that leave, she asked for additional time off anytime her medical condition “flared up.” The court found that such a request was unreasonable, coming as it did almost immediately following her lengthy leave of approved absences.

Critical to the court’s reasoning was the existence of a published policy that said “regular attendance is crucial” to the employer’s operations, a history of the employer’s enforcement of its attendance policy and the presence of a job description which confirmed that being present at the facility was one of the job duties for the employee in question."

If I wasn't so good at what I do...if I didn't enjoy driving a truck...I sure as hell wouldn't be here. And if there should come a day that technology irrevocably interferes with my enjoyment of driving the truck...that day will be the day I exit the industry. Because it doesn't pay that well, it's utterly thankless and almost everyone treats drivers like animals. Driving the truck is the only part of the job that doesn't completely suck. And :::shit::: like these mirror cams and the Wingman are things that start infringing on the driving of the truck.

I’ve drank beer in Ontario a few times, I have a strong desire to buy you one!

Great post CF. Totally agree.

Is it just beer?
We’d like some fine ales.

Report finds trust in autonomous technologies falling

https://www.fleetowner.com/autonomo...m=email&elq2=9b2b8076e8e941299e91636e90139e74

"...39% of U.S. consumers trust traditional original equipment manufacturers to bring these technologies to market, down from 47% in 2018.

“Autonomous vehicles have begun to enter the real world in pilot testing and have consequently encountered real world challenges,” said Craig Giffi, vice chairman of Deloitte and U.S. automotive sector leader."

“It can also detect and mitigate a collision with full braking on moving and stationary vehicles and objects.“

Guess we will be stopping at low overhead signs on the interstates.. the fact that a truck can stop for me doesn’t make me feel any type of safe when these cameras get all jerky with signs and covered with snow. I’ve had both Mack and Freightliners say that the sensor is covered in snowstorms so it’s disabled. Well why invest in this crap. Let the humans do what they do

“It can also detect and mitigate a collision with full braking on moving and stationary vehicles and objects.“

Guess we will be stopping at low overhead signs on the interstates.. the fact that a truck can stop for me doesn’t make me feel any type of safe when these cameras get all jerky with signs and covered with snow. I’ve had both Mack and Freightliners say that the sensor is covered in snowstorms so it’s disabled. Well why invest in this crap. Let the humans do what they do

I guess my old B61 or 9000 White with no AC, air seat, no PS, no HP was not too bad after all!

While I agree, for the most part, all driver's are NOT created equal. We have all seen (so called) professional driver's who are neither"professional", nor "driver's".

Even though these systems are a nuisance to us, they do (more than ever) provide backup (oversight) for the least capable among us.

Sad, but absolutely true, IMHO.

While I agree, for the most part, all driver's are NOT created equal. We have all seen (so called) professional driver's who are neither"professional", nor "driver's".

Even though these systems are a nuisance to us, they do (more than ever) provide backup (oversight) for the least capable among us.

Sad, but absolutely true, IMHO.
I agree with you but it’s just hard to see this unfold. I’m too young for this crap, time to find a new craft

Freightliner Says New Cascadia Has First Level 2 Automation in North America

https://www.truckinginfo.com/322232...has-first-level-2-automation-in-north-america

"Level 2 automation means the truck is capable of both lateral (steering) and longitudinal (acceleration/deceleration) control – but Daimler also wants to put Level 4 automated trucks on North American roads this year."

Thank goodness, at least now the delusional, greedy, agenda driven Illuminati that run this world are making the truck capable of driving me off a cliff, instead of making me just want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.