FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is already done in Florida by truck stops, they now show real time parking availability on their interstate billboards.
Apparently the brains of this pipe dream has never driven by a rest area at 2:00am. to witness the real world of trucking..... They don’t understand that with a booming economy, there are more trucks on the roads now than in probably the last 30 years.

Apparently the brains of this pipe dream has never driven by a rest area at 2:00am. to witness the real world of trucking..... They don’t understand that with a booming economy, there are more trucks on the roads now than in probably the last 30 years.
Is that what those signs are for? When I'm out at night they all just say "LOW".

Peterbilt Unveils Electric Medium-Duty Truck

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/peterbilt-unveils-electric-medium-duty-truck-ces

peterbilt220ev_1.jpg

This whole train full of garbage needs to stop, and it needs to stop right now. Nobody seems to be capable of comprehending that you have to be a certain level of independent to be a good professional driver. You have to make judgment calls multiple times a day, and you need a good view of the road around you to do that.

Instead, evermore pressure mounts as the industry eagerly bounds towards the driverless truck they so desperately want. In the meantime we are being expected to endure having our mandatory independence trod on by people who have never spent an afternoon in the cab of a truck. Cameras everywhere so they can make sure you aren't jerking off or sleeping while the autopilot does everything most of the time. Sensors beeping anytime a sign jumps out of the ditch or a car cuts you off. And don't you damage anything!

Now they complain, as drivers quit with ever-increasing disgust for the open disdain our own industry has for the people who do most of the work, that they can't convince anyone to be their robot slave/liability scapegoat for $800 a week. Because you should absolutely give up months of your life and potential future career opportunities to be trained for a job they are actively trying to eliminate. They can't understand why nobody would want to be told constantly that they have no future working a job that pays a fraction of what it should.

If I wasn't so good at what I do...if I didn't enjoy driving a truck...I sure as hell wouldn't be here. And if there should come a day that technology irrevocably interferes with my enjoyment of driving the truck...that day will be the day I exit the industry. Because it doesn't pay that well, it's utterly thankless and almost everyone treats drivers like animals. Driving the truck is the only part of the job that doesn't completely suck. And :::shit::: like these mirror cams and the Wingman are things that start infringing on the driving of the truck.

Whew that was a rant. Time for another beer.
I agree 100 percent with you CF. Had to read your post again a few days later and the part about driver treatment is something that really pisses me off too.
Like,
Walk into a customer and see sign, No Public Restrooms.
Driver restroom is porta potty outside, at end of building.
I need to copy your drivers license.
Standing at entry door of building in the elements, ringing buzzer, waiting to get let in.
Or standing outside at checkin window in all types of weather.
Truckload carrier you drive for says shipper gets 2 hours before you get any detention.
Give keys to your truck to dock people.
No drivers allowed on dock.
Wait 30 plus minutes to be assigned a dock door.
This load is driver sort and segregate.
As for all the new “gadgets “ being installed on tractors now, I can’t wait for when truck is on auto pilot, with a “tech” just sitting there, and gets involved in an accident, who is going to be held accountable?
OK. I am done.

5G wireless spectrum expected to roll out in 2019 and 2020

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/5g-wireless-spectrum-expected-to-roll-out-in-2019-and-2020

"5G technology will provide users with the capabilities to browse the internet, upload or download videos and use apps at faster speeds. For example, a six minute movie download on 4G technology will only take 17 seconds on 5G.

Esser said mobile carriers may face economic challenges in order to boost wireless signals expected to be at least 100 times faster than current 4G networks."

Status
Not open for further replies.