FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than pay. Find a 22 year old male or female who wants to work for mileage pay considered scab wages, be gone from 5 to 20 days @ a time, with no social life, attached to the tractor like glue, limiting what you can do other than work & sleep, not being to play sports, or visit with friends. Slim pickins to find a person willing to do that. Then once you hook em, train them put them out there for 6 months, half or more will quit. And most likely never to return to the industry. A young person who goes in to the skilled trades, will in 2 to 4 years make half as much more than a 4 year exp driver. AND, home every night, a social life, and sleeping in a bed in a house or apartment, not a closet on roller skates sucking down the fumes in the truck stop. von.

Last edited:
More than pay. Find a 22 year old male or female who wants to work for mileage pay considered scab wages, be gone from 5 to 20 days @ a time, with no social life, attached to the tractor like glue, limiting what you can do other than work & sleep, not being to play sports, or visit with friends. Slim pickins to find a person willing to do that. Then once you hook em, train them put them out there for 6 months, half or more will quit. And most likely never to return to the industry. A young person who goes in to the skilled trades, will in 2 to 4 years make half as much more than a 4 year exp driver. AND, home every night, a social life, and sleeping in a bed in a house or apartment, not a closet on roller skates sucking down the fumes in the truck stop. von.
Yes, I will agree that working conditions and quality of life definitely enter the equation; however, increasing compensation will overcome much of that. The thing that pay is really going to struggle overcoming is the driver facing cam discipline. If SEFL ever goes with one then odds are I’ll be like many xpo and Saia drivers. Done.

Damn it Bro, Just tell it to us straight... :poke:
:1036316054:

You can throw all the money @ an employee. But if you miss treat them, they will leave, or the company will suffer from that employee who refuses to do anything extra because of the way they are treated. The Golden Rule applies in trucking like anywhere else. The value of a company is not in the stock, but in it's employees. Take care of the employee, & the stock will follow. Ignore your employees, & the stock will suffer. von.

I know a driver who says "you can pay me like a king and treat me like crap, or, you can pay me like crap and treat me like a king. If you really want me productive, find a middle ground, and I'll work like hell to make you money."

What First Responders Don’t Know About Fiery Electric Vehicles

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nders-don-t-know-about-fiery-evs?srnd=premium

"...lithium-ion batteries inside electric vehicles, once ignited, can’t be put out with chemicals from a conventional extinguisher. The battery fires are susceptible to a self-destructive chain reaction known as thermal runaway, causing a feedback loop of rising temperatures. The Tesla fire stumped a series of first responders in Florida. Firefighters eventually doused the flames with water, which seemed to work, but the wrecked car reignited twice more after being towed away. That prompted what a police report later termed “extraordinary measures,” including a call to Broward County’s hazmat unit for advice on stamping out the fire once and for all."

Colorado truck driver shortage a challenge for the industry, but an opportunity for immigrants

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/24/colorado-truck-driver-shortage/

All fine and dandy, but what ever happened to the requirement that CDL holders MUST be able to read & speak the English language?
So Euglow,hired Ahmed,a Somalian, to help bridge the gap,and communicate with immigrants,and to recruit more of them to his school. But didn’t do this to increase his income,at the expense of others....

Bill to exempt small carriers from ELD mandate filed in U.S. House

https://www.ccjdigital.com/bill-to-exempt-small-carriers-from-eld-mandate-on-deck-in-u-s-house/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=03-25-2019&utm_campaign=Commercial Carrier Journal&ust_id=124f9551466b2c5785e539d1cda3c973&utm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-5

"...would exempt all carriers with 10 trucks or fewer from the ELD mandate, meaning they could revert back to using paper logs to record duty status."

Nonsense, if safety is the whole point of accurate hours of service.
With all the different types of trucking companies asking for exemptions because of what they haul, or in this case,their size,pretty soon they may as well ::shit:: can ELD’s altogether,and let everyone go back to pencil whipping paper logs.....

CVSA-Roadcheck.jpg

SAFETY>ROADSIDE INSPECTIONS
International Roadcheck 2019 puts emphasis on steering and suspension
Set for three days in June, CVSA program inspects 17 commercial vehicles a minute over 72 hour period across North America.

https://www.fleetowner.com/roadside...m=email&elq2=cfa36b37e3fe426e9c82b0c0abe64abe

June 4-6

"...inspectors will primarily conduct the North American Standard Level I Inspection, a 37-step procedure that includes an examination of driver operating requirements and vehicle mechanical fitness."

Employers Beware: Judge Greenlights Employee’s Privacy Lawsuit Over Dropbox Access

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/employers-beware-judge-greenlights-employee-s-privacy-lawsuit-over-dropbox-access?utm_content=785cd60dcdcec9271462d56689675d5c&utm_campaign=3-29-2019Cybersecurity Legal News&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

"Although Plaintiff’s Dropbox account was private, CCCTC authorized its use for work-related matters and thus the account contained both personal and work-related folders, including personal photographs."

DOT Sends Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Hours of Service Reform to White House

https://www.truckinginfo.com/328427...roposed-rulemaking-on-hours-of-service-reform

Transportation Secretary Chao - "...can't go into specifics or details about this proposal, but let me note that the department understands the strong interest in increasing flexibility and is giving it serious consideration."

Big story with zero details... Great.

DOT Sends Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Hours of Service Reform to White House

https://www.truckinginfo.com/328427...roposed-rulemaking-on-hours-of-service-reform

Transportation Secretary Chao - "...can't go into specifics or details about this proposal, but let me note that the department understands the strong interest in increasing flexibility and is giving it serious consideration."

Big story with zero details... Great.
Chao is actually saying, our team of experts, (who know nothing about trucking), looked at the proposed changes, heard comments from industry supporters, and will take their concerns under advisement, and recommend monitoring the situation, but actually won’t do anything at this time.

So executives from a major paint supplier,PPG,and nationwide truck wash chain, have determined that repainting areas that have rock chips, and corrosion from salt, and road chemicals, plus, washing your equipment with hot soapy water at Blue Beacon,will reduce corrosion? I gotta bet these guys also consulted, Satish, to come to these conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.