FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill to allow convenience stores, restaurants at public rest areas introduced

http://www.ccjdigital.com/bill-to-allow-convenience-stores-restaurants-at-public-rest-areas-introduced/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=04-11-2017&utm_campaign=Commercial Carrier Journal&ust_id=124f9551466b2c5785e539d1cda3c973

"Proponents say the measure could shore up funding for state rest stops and ensure their truck parking spaces remain in place.

Truck stop owner advocate group NATSO, an opponent of rest area commercialization, said in an email to members this week that even though Banks does not sit on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, the group “takes this threat to the long-standing prohibition on commercial rest areas very seriously.”"
There's a truck stop owner advocate group?? Who knew??!!

Why XPO's Billionaire CEO Brad Jacobs Is Putting Dealmaking on Hold

Read more at: http://www.ttnews.com/articles/base...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter

"Jacobs took over XPO in 2011, and by 2014 had doubled its value, executing 13 acquisitions in an industry one analyst said at the time was a "boulevard of broken dreams" for deal makers. He followed with five more deals, including a $3 billion takeover of trucker Con-way Inc. in 2015 that prompted a 33% plunge in XPO’s shares.

“When they bought Con-way, the carrier was one of the worst performers relative to its peers,” said Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Lee Klaskow. “They’ve extracted a lot of costs out of the network and walked away from unprofitable business. Lots of people were very skeptical of the Con-way transaction. He’s proved lots of people wrong.”

When asked by Sub Committee Chairman about the proposal by FedEx to add an additional traffic lane to I-5 because Dave's hat blocks the view of drivers trying to pass, Ducker had no comment....

When asked by Sub Committee Chairman about the proposal by FedEx to add an additional traffic lane to I-5 because Dave's hat blocks the view of drivers trying to pass, Ducker had no comment....
It's my understanding that 33 foot doubles are designed specifically with better balancing the load of Dave's hat in mind.

When asked if Big Dave would put the FedEx logo on his hat, Mr. Ducker presented a bottle of Mountain Dew to the committee, declining any further comment.

It's my understanding that 33 foot doubles are designed specifically with better balancing the load of Dave's hat in mind.

When asked if Big Dave would put the FedEx logo on his hat, Mr. Ducker presented a bottle of Mountain Dew to the committee, declining any further comment.
The sub committee chairman was later quoted as saying, we would be more receptive to having the world famous, Team Wong-BRG do a test run with the 33 ft trailers, and see if they in fact save15 percent on fuel costs...we feel the wind drag on babes hat would decrease fuel savings, and increase pollution by 15 percent.

The sub committee chairman was later quoted as saying, we would be more receptive to having the world famous, Team Wong-BRG do a test run with the 33 ft trailers, and see if they in fact save15 percent on fuel costs...we feel the wind drag on babes hat would decrease fuel savings, and increase pollution by 15 percent.

BD would just have to be sure and avoid lunch at the burrito truck to ensure he didn't set off the EPA bells and whistles during the test run......they have also designed a special tractor with a moon roof, allowing for The Hat to double as the upper fairing, which should get us in under the fuel consumption mandate....

Seventh Circuit Court Rules Sexual Orientation Is Protected Class: Kimberly Hively v. Ivy Tech Community College

http://www.natlawreview.com/article...13-2017&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

"In a significant decision that expands the rights of employees, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit ruled on April 4, 2017 that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is a form of sex discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Kimberly Hively v. Ivy Tech Community College, No. 15-1720 (7th Cir. April 4, 2017). The Seventh Circuit is the highest court in the United States to hold that sexual orientation is a form of sex discrimination under Title VII."

"Traditionally, federal courts have routinely rejected the claim that sexual orientation is a protected class pursuant to Title VII. Indeed, the Eleventh Circuit held as recently as March 2017 that discrimination on the basis of an employee’s sexual orientation is not prohibited under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. See Jameka Evans v. Georgia Regional Hospital, No. 15-15234 (11th Cir. March 10, 2017). Due to the split in authority between the federal appellate courts, absent legislative action by Congress, this issue is likely to be resolved by the U.S. Supreme Court."

Amazon joins driver on-boarding portal to recruit owner-operators

http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...n-boarding-portal-to-recruit-owner-operators/

"As outlined at the NASSTRAC event, on-boarded drivers will carry goods over relatively short lengths of haul from Amazon customers to one of its many fulfillment centers. Drivers will also carry outbound goods, also over short stage lengths, from the fulfillment center to the destination.

The operation supported by the on-boarding platform resembles that of a less-than-truckload (LTL) model, where an Amazon fulfillment center would act as a hub to receive inbound traffic from various shippers and then consolidate those goods for additional transporting to the final destination, Healy said after the panel. "This is Amazon's answer to LTL," he said."

No sane driver is going to want to drive one of these.
Yeah, I am not sure after reading the article? Are they saying a driver will still be in each truck,but basically the technology will guide it? If so, I would not want to be in one following another, closer than normal, looking at the back of his trailer for 500 miles.

Truck Platooning to Become Reality This Year

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...s-platooning-system-launch-by-year-s-end.aspx

“We’re going to have our platooning system ready for customer use soon – before the end of the year,” Switkes confirmed. “We’re currently taking pre-orders for the system, although we’re not talking publicly about who or how many at the moment.
It's already a reality, I know for certain that Saddlecreek Transportation has been testing this technology for almost a year...and two trucks is just the beginning, they're talking of having up to five trucks platooning at once!!

I agree with BRG, I definitely wouldn't want to be in one of the trucks following the lead. Even though each driver has the ability to "override" the system, what happens if while "following closer than normal" the lead driver becomes distracted and has to swerve or lock it down??

Status
Not open for further replies.