OTR wanting to get into FoodService

Last year I had one day off for the whole calendar year. I worked every day GFS was running last year. Coming up here in May is the first week I'll have had off in lets just say a while. When I started in this business I said good bye to being home and vacation. Thank God I'm a border line work-aholic. (Probably no way to live life)

Mike me and you had these conversations. I don't want a life like that with my son growing up. I don't want to miss out on him growing and stuff (I know people will say but that's trucking) no its not. They're jobs out there that allow you to be with your family and enjoy life and still be a truck driver.

Last year I had one day off for the whole calendar year. I worked every day GFS was running last year. Coming up here in May is the first week I'll have had off in lets just say a while. When I started in this business I said good bye to being home and vacation. Thank God I'm a border line work-aholic. (Probably no way to live life)
Off topic- have you ever thought of trying ltl Mike?

Mike me and you had these conversations. I don't want a life like that with my son growing up. I don't want to miss out on him growing and stuff (I know people will say but that's trucking) no its not. They're jobs out there that allow you to be with your family and enjoy life and still be a truck driver.
One of the best things of being a city driver in ltl. Home every night off weekends and off every holiday and if holiday falls on weekend your off the Friday before or Monday after

Only thing I'm still not use to and don't like so much after being at OD for over a year now is the late starts and getting off after 5

If you want your weekends off go ltl. Sysco you'll be working Saturdays and every holiday except thanksgiving and Christmas. All food companies you'll only have thanksgiving and Christmas off. That's all I get at the milk company. Plus it's gonna take me 15 years to get off Saturdays. Also ask about vacation time. I won't be able to take vacation in the summer for about 20 years and that really bugs me.
Holy crap. Those are some unholy numbers man . Yeesh. Don't care much about the holidays , just the weekends ! Haha

4 days a week doesn't sound bad , but no case pay is kind of a let down. I'm stuck between GFS and PFG . GFS = 4 days a week and a salary of 1100. PFG= 4 days a week Mon-Fri and 925 a week , HOWEVER that is the minimum not a set salary like GFS . PFG has case pay and other incentives to bump up the pay . So do you guys think PFG incentives will consistently top GFS salary over the long run or just go for the set $1100 a week?

Holy crap. Those are some unholy numbers man . Yeesh. Don't care much about the holidays , just the weekends ! Haha

4 days a week doesn't sound bad , but no case pay is kind of a let down. I'm stuck between GFS and PFG . GFS = 4 days a week and a salary of 1100. PFG= 4 days a week Mon-Fri and 925 a week , HOWEVER that is the minimum not a set salary like GFS . PFG has case pay and other incentives to bump up the pay . So do you guys think PFG incentives will consistently top GFS salary over the long run or just go for the set $1100 a week?
That is the minimum for gfs. That isn't the set pay. You can make over that if your are loaded down with cases for the week. Here in Maryland gfs minimum pay for gfs is 1200 and pfg is the same 1200. Gfs is a no brainer if it's between them and pfg. Pfg customized is usually 2 guys and 53ft foot full of food and that truck don't stop until you are back. They pretty much run u 4 days straight with your 10 hrs off in the sleeper with other guy driving...

Gfs benefits and 401k and such are top notch in the business. I'm sure Mike can confirm that.

Off topic- have you ever thought of trying ltl Mike?
Well yes, but road driver for USF Holland Buffalo Bill suggested it. Even applied and everything the USF Holland terminal not far from my home has the now hiring banner up all the time. Heck I'll be honest with you all, I was very very close about 2 years ago to shipping my self off with US Xpress.
Not any more I don't care for the politics and what not that goes along with working for a company like that, however I would and I'm sure they do go back to working for the beer company I worked for if I really had to, I would apply to work there night shuttle it doesn't pay nearly as good as GFS transit, but if you just need a job it's a living. The problem with that company though was to much management. GFS really your not micro managed a whole, I pretty much set my own start time I get into work when I want usually early, nobody else is there I hook up to my truck and I go out and bogie. There are day's sometimes multiple days in a row when I don't see bosses or management at all. I know what my job is and that's pretty much it when I'm done I drive back to the yard drop my trailer park my truck.

We don't really slip seat at GFS, you get a truck that's pretty much your truck. Not saying there may not be times when you drive someone else s truck, but for the most part the slip seating is kept to a minimum. I have my own truck I go get fuel for it on Monday I know where my fuel stop is and you know I check the fluids and stuff every 90 days or so the shop calls it in for service it's no biggie.

Last edited:
That is the minimum for gfs. That isn't the set pay. You can make over that if your are loaded down with cases for the week. Here in Maryland gfs minimum pay for gfs is 1200 and pfg is the same 1200. Gfs is a no brainer if it's between them and pfg. Pfg customized is usually 2 guys and 53ft foot full of food and that truck don't stop until you are back. They pretty much run u 4 days straight with your 10 hrs off in the sleeper with other guy driving...

Gfs benefits and 401k and such are top notch in the business. I'm sure Mike can confirm that.

Well the positions advertised are for GFS Chain division... Not the custom division and I literally had no idea that PFG put you into teams . On thier website it says" 4 days a week and home daily "

I understand that GFS is in a new market here in atl so I just hope spots will be open when I'm eligible to apply in August. ( well I'm going to apply in July I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue if I'm 1-2 months short of 1 yr at that point , thoughts on this ?)

Well the positions advertised are for GFS Chain division... Not the custom division and I literally had no idea that PFG put you into teams . On thier website it says" 4 days a week and home daily "

I understand that GFS is in a new market here in atl so I just hope spots will be open when I'm eligible to apply in August. ( well I'm going to apply in July I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue if I'm 1-2 months short of 1 yr at that point , thoughts on this ?)

Also would me having my trucking school certificate be worth it to get me in the door ? The company who Trained me , Truck Driving Academy out of SLC, Utah won't give you your certificate until you paid it off completely...

Deonte what you need to apply for is sales service that's the 28ft broad line division of GFS, if you want chains that's fine, but sales service which is what I do is a whole other animal. I looked at that ad that your looking at if it's Chains it would say so, it's broad line that distribution center is new they don't have a huge customer base yet, so they don't know what the loads are going to look like. They need drivers I would apply. You might have to give it 12-24 months maybe a tad longer to see what starts cooking, because they have to grow sales in that area. Trust me they have sales people out on the streets right now looking to drum up business. It's a new market however and there getting established, that's why they have sing on and weekly. If you look at GFS ads where GFS is already established they don't have sign on or 1100 a week they don't need it because they already know you'll make more then the 1100 a week.
GFS has some fringe benefits you won't get at PFG. For instance, GFS has it's own chain of grocery stores you will get employee discounts on grocerys from GFS Market Place Stores you will not get that at PFG. We have 401K and Profit Sharing and Company Notes Program (which I am currently not in, but should be the problem with me is I have no wife, girl friend, kids, nieces or nephews to give money to should I die irregardless though it's a good program pays better interest then the bank, I don't believe PFG has that.) Also we have medical, dental all that good stuff, so you have to consider all of that as well.

Yes I know its gfs chain division. I'm talking about pfg customized they do the chain accounts for pfg. And as far as teams that is how it is over here with pfg customized division. If it's pfg that does street accounts more than likely it's not 4 days. All the big food companys have their own chain account division. Pfg- pfg customized, gfs- gfs chain division, sysco- sygma, us foods- was formerly Northstar now it's just us foods.

I wouldn't worry about the certificate from the school as long as you have that license you should be good. And as far as applying early I would do so also it will take a good month to get on board.

I would apply for that job in Atlanta let them tell you what the job is. See every other help wanted ad they have specifies Chain or Sales Service. PFG is more customized they do Outback Steak House and some others I can't name them all.
You want my advise if you really want local and are torn between PFG, GFS and who else because your unsure of what the job is?

Have you thought about working for the local McDonald's Supplier? Not Burger King or Wendy's it's probably Mains Food and Paper that does those two and you'll be back to the good old sleeper teams routine, but McDonald's is a whole other animal, our McDonald's supplier here in North East, Ohio says home every night it's all day cab trucks.

Yes I know its gfs chain division. I'm talking about pfg customized they do the chain accounts for pfg. And as far as teams that is how it is over here with pfg customized division. If it's pfg that does street accounts more than likely it's not 4 days. All the big food companys have their own chain account division. Pfg- pfg customized, gfs- gfs chain division, sysco- sygma, us foods- was formerly Northstar now it's just us foods.

I wouldn't worry about the certificate from the school as long as you have that license you should be good. And as far as applying early I would do so also it will take a good month to get on board.

Pretty much all the big boys do Chains your not considered a big boy unless you do chains.

Deonte
If you want send me a PM I'll call you on the phone and I'll talk you through what your options are.