OTR wanting to get into FoodService

Yep I did. Started Thursday thru monday. It sucks. The thought of never getting off weekends bugs me

One of our guys at GFS worked for Dairymen's here in Cleveland loved Dairymen's, but he said it was one of those things where you were going to work weekends and start times until you got a route were going to vary.

Deonte what you need to apply for is sales service that's the 28ft broad line division of GFS, if you want chains that's fine, but sales service which is what I do is a whole other animal. I looked at that ad that your looking at if it's Chains it would say so, it's broad line that distribution center is new they don't have a huge customer base yet, so they don't know what the loads are going to look like. They need drivers I would apply. You might have to give it 12-24 months maybe a tad longer to see what starts cooking, because they have to grow sales in that area. Trust me they have sales people out on the streets right now looking to drum up business. It's a new market however and there getting established, that's why they have sing on and weekly. If you look at GFS ads where GFS is already established they don't have sign on or 1100 a week they don't need it because they already know you'll make more then the 1100 a week.
GFS has some fringe benefits you won't get at PFG. For instance, GFS has it's own chain of grocery stores you will get employee discounts on grocerys from GFS Market Place Stores you will not get that at PFG. We have 401K and Profit Sharing and Company Notes Program (which I am currently not in, but should be the problem with me is I have no wife, girl friend, kids, nieces or nephews to give money to should I die irregardless though it's a good program pays better interest then the bank, I don't believe PFG has that.) Also we have medical, dental all that good stuff, so you have to consider all of that as well.

Mike j we are in the same boat my friend. No family or gf haha. But the reason why I said it was chain division is because it has chain division in the description in bold letters lol here is the link to the ad from GFS directly.

https://career4.successfactors.com/...lertName=&_s.crb=U3Ikz7Sqw0kptYO0wLem7Z/+ybQ=

I searched for the 28 ft broadline but that division doesn't seem to exist in my market yet . You said it's a new market and they need drivers and their requirement for one year doesn't seem like it is a must have for insurance reasons so , F--k it I'm going to apply now . If I get denied then by the time August rolls around, the standard 90 day wait will be over and I can try again when I have a full year then lol

Money man used to work for GFS he was a transit driver far away up north, he also worked for Martin Brower which is a McDonald's supplier that's who he was talking about when he said Thurs-Sunday.

Wait ,I'm confused, you work for GFS now and they have you on thurs-mon ?

GFS Broadline works M-F
GFS Transit works Sun-Fri
GFS Chains work Sun,M, T, W, TH and Fri usually with Chains you work 4 days. If wait longer they will probably have some sales service jobs popping in Atlanta soon. If you drive by the warehouse next time your home they have a banner and stuff up with probably a phone number to call.

We were talking about Martin Brower who is a McDonalds Supplier you could always go that route you'll work weekends, but you'll have 2 days off you'll be local, however you'll work around the clock you' work morning, noon and night.

Deonte
If you want send me a PM I'll call you on the phone and I'll talk you through what your options are.
Sure I'll be more than happy to . We can set it up for tomorrow sometime as for now I have to hit the sack because I have to be up for my 3:30 am workout and then get ready for my 5:30am departure. I'm new so I don't think it will let me pm, but I will attempt to .

Next time you are in town drive by GFS in Douglassville, I bet 2:1 they have a banner out side saying how hiring drivers call this number or apply on line. There not going to let you in the place GFS doesn't operate like that, but they hire for Chains because they need rock solid business to get the warehouse going and they will ad broad line on second. I think right now that warehouse ships to Kentucky and other parts of the South East it services all those broad line markets. See your in a new market so the broad line spots are sketchy because the routes haven't been established yet. The reason they can do chains is because those are already established and they are probably taking a chain that ran out of one warehouse and shipping it to Douglassville.

I would apply for that job in Atlanta let them tell you what the job is. See every other help wanted ad they have specifies Chain or Sales Service. PFG is more customized they do Outback Steak House and some others I can't name them all.
You want my advise if you really want local and are torn between PFG, GFS and who else because your unsure of what the job is?

Have you thought about working for the local McDonald's Supplier? Not Burger King or Wendy's it's probably Mains Food and Paper that does those two and you'll be back to the good old sleeper teams routine, but McDonald's is a whole other animal, our McDonald's supplier here in North East, Ohio says home every night it's all day cab trucks.

I'm not torn between GFS and PFG in particular. They just seem to be the company that more or less fit my personal wants and goals . Which is to be home weekends or everyday but I'd prefer only weekends as it would allow me to continue my nomadic lifestyle and dodge rent and bill payments haha

Sure I'll be more than happy to . We can set it up for tomorrow sometime as for now I have to hit the sack because I have to be up for my 3:30 am workout and then get ready for my 5:30am departure. I'm new so I don't think it will let me pm, but I will attempt to .

3:30am I've got to be at my first stop and have it half off by that time ha-ha! Yeah that's fine PM me if you can it goes by posts you may have enough posts already so give it a shot.

I'm not torn between GFS and PFG in particular. They just seem to be the company that more or less fit my personal wants and goals . Which is to be home weekends or everyday but I'd prefer only weekends as it would allow me to continue my nomadic lifestyle and dodge rent and bill payments haha

I would apply right now to work for Gordon's let there recruiter call you and you go from there. GFS chains will send you out of town 2 days at a time, but it's not a big deal they will put you up in a nice room to stay in GFS doesn't send drivers to junky places usually Hampton Inn or Court Yard Marriot (We have all day cabs at GFS no sleeper cabs at all)
and go from there.

THIS ! Someone understands!!!! Yes you hit the nail on the head!
There not going to ask for your school certificate, all they want to see is your license that's good enough for them, GFS doesn't care anyhow, as long as you have a license that's good for them, because there going to train you there way anyhow.

I would apply right now to work for Gordon's let there recruiter call you and you go from there. GFS chains will send you out of town 2 days at a time, but it's not a big deal they will put you up in a nice room to stay in GFS doesn't send drivers to junky places usually Hampton Inn or Court Yard Marriot (We have all day cabs at GFS no sleeper cabs at all)
and go from there.

Alright I'll apply , then let the recruiter call me and give me the low down , then I'll let you guys know what they are talking about . Well you guys already know because you're employed there ! And hotels sounds sweeter than the sleeper berth and truck stop showers and restrooms haha . But I'd predict that if they start me off chains and thur-sun ( which I would absolutely hate like what the hell am I going to do on a mon- we'd? ) and wouldn't want to take it ... Unless I'd have the opportunity to go to the mon- fri division in a reasonable time frame.

Thursday-Sunday is Martin Brower not GFS although you will work Sunday at GFS probably leave out on Sunday.

Alright I'll apply , then let the recruiter call me and give me the low down , then I'll let you guys know what they are talking about . Well you guys already know because you're employed there ! And hotels sounds sweeter than the sleeper berth and truck stop showers and restrooms haha . But I'd predict that if they start me off chains and thur-sun ( which I would absolutely hate like what the hell am I going to do on a mon- we'd? ) and wouldn't want to take it ... Unless I'd have the opportunity to go to the mon- fri division in a reasonable time frame.

They always come around and ask us if anyone wants to do Chains I don't know of any broad line driver who has gone to doing chains pretty far few and none. Now if they asked me "Say who wants to do volume truck?" My hand would shoot up in the air and I would go mememememe.
I'm the only one on here right now who currently works for GFS.
Moneyman used to be a GFS Transit driver up north a couple years back and Z works for Old Dominion Freight Line the LTL company.

Thursday-Sunday is Martin Brower not GFS although you will work Sunday at GFS probably leave out on Sunday.
Oh ok great I can do Sunday night . Haha what a relief .... Well good night fellas. Mike J look for that pm tomorrow. I want to thank all of you guys for being so friendly and willing to answer my questions . I'm going to apply and see what happens . Wish me luck . Oh mike j would you mind if I use you as a referral ? I'm sure you'd get some kind of referral bonus and I'd get bumped up a couple of spots on the list

Off topic- have you ever thought of trying ltl Mike?
We had about 2 transit drivers quit to go over and work at Old Dominion. I guess here in C-Town Old Dominion is all over the place meaning there kind of feast and famine. I know a gentleman who works for Dayton Freight the regional LTL carrier from Dayton, Ohio if I was going to go into LTL they would probably be a choice of mine.