FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
1st of, if you work in a location with wages that are competitive with other carriers, this thread is not for you. Nothing to see here, unless you just want to look on for the entertainment value.

According to Mr.Ducker (President of FXFE), in depth analysis was COMPLETED on the topic of Geographic Pay Differentials (GPD). According to numbers supplied to FedEx, some centers qualify, while others do not. So far so good. We understand all may not qualify.

The problem I have, and many others who did not qualify have, is we know for a fact that we are paid less than the vast majority of the competition. We also know that the cost of living in some of our areas also justify a similar wage to the higher GPD locations. I am certainly not going to accuse anyone at FedEx of deception or dishonesty, BUT perhaps, as I suggest, the Company has been misinformed by the very firm used to supply the comparative information, telling FedEx what they think they want to hear. I can't prove motives, but I can prove the fact that the decisions are based on flawed analysis.

Case in point. We know that NAS, Hickory, GBO, were bumped up a scale (rightfully so). We know that Charlotte is and has been at that same (higher) scale, for some time. We also know that no South Carolina centers qualified for the adjustment.

Going forward we will use Charlotte as a BASELINE, while using Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) "Mean hourly wage of Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers” to compare. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

While the numbers provide no specific LTL data (LTL is always high end), they do provide the perfect numbers for comparing wages in various locations. The individual number means little. However, how it compares markets, means everything.

Mean Hourly Wage Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers.

Charlotte 19.22

Nashville 19.95

Hickory 19.04

Greensboro 19.10

This first group is deemed worthy of the $25.08/hour scale.

Now lets look at some who did NOT qualify for an adjustment:

Columbia 20.09

Florence 19.80

GSP 19.91-19.85

CHS 20.52

The second group? Said to be just fine at $23.68

Do we see the flaw? Do we see fair? Do we see the inconsistency?

Just to show the numbers are relevent, let's look at some higher priced locales:

Chicago 23.57

Newark 22.62

Reno 22.83

Philadelphia 21.75

I would suggest that FedEx sever their ties with the current firm used to determine these matters.They have FAILED. Or make them provide some actual LTL "company specific" information. At a minimum, an immediate second opinion is in order.

It is a shame that I an find accurate information, while the firm hired has not. Clearly, this type of work in NOT within my pay scale (differential)

Stay tuned for cost of living comparisons, which combined with the above true facts will further dispel any myth of an in depth analysis determining the adjustments, or lack thereof.

Last edited:
1st of, if you work in a location with wages that are competitive with other carriers, this thread is not for you. Nothing to see here, unless you just want to look on for the entertainment value.

According to Mr.Ducker (President of FXFE), in depth analysis was COMPLETED on the topic of Geographic Pay Differentials (GPD). According to numbers supplied to FedEx, some centers qualify, while others do not. So far so good. We understand all may not qualify.

The problem I have, and many others who did not qualify have, is we know for a fact that we are paid less than the vast majority of the competition. We also know that the cost of living in some of our areas also justify a similar wage to the higher GPD locations. I am certainly not going to accuse anyone at FedEx of deception or dishonesty, BUT perhaps, as I suggest, the Company has been misinformed by the very firm used to supply the comparative information, telling FedEx what they think they want to hear. I can't prove motives, but I can prove the fact that the decisions are based on flawed analysis.

Case in point. We know that NAS, Hickory, GBO, were bumped up a scale (rightfully so). We know that Charlotte is and has been at that same (higher) scale, for some time. We also know that no South Carolina centers qualified for the adjustment.

Going forward we will use Charlotte as a BASELINE, while using Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) "Mean hourly wage of Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers” to compare. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

While the numbers provide no specific LTL data (LTL is always high end), they do provide the perfect numbers for comparing wages in various locations. The individual number means little. However, how it compares markets, means everything.

Mean Hourly Wage Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers.

Charlotte 19.22

Nashville 19.95

Hickory 19.04

Greensboro 19.10

This first group is deemed worthy of the $25.08/hour scale.

Now lets look at some who did NOT qualify for an adjustment:

Columbia 20.09

Florence 19.80

GSP 19.91-19.85

The second group? Said to be just fine at $23.68

Do we see the flaw? Do we see fair? Do we see the inconsistency?

Just to show the numbers are relevent, let's look at some higher priced locales:

Chicago 23.57

Newark 22.62

Reno 22.83

Philadelphia 21.75

I would suggest that FedEx sever their ties with the current firm used to determine these matters.They have FAILED. Or make them provide some actual LTL "company specific" information. At a minimum, an immediate second opinion is in order.

It is a shame that I an find accurate information, while the firm hired has not. Clearly, this type of work in NOT within my pay scale (differential)

Stay tuned for cost of living comparisons, which combined with the above true facts will further dispel any myth of an in depth analysis determining the adjustments, or lack thereof.
Those South Carolina numbers are starting pay not the three year top out pay.

Reactions: mtd
I wonder why we didn't qualify from the link you posted our mean hourly is above Charlotte,Hickory, and Greensboro at 19.66. Further proving my point this GDP raise was to try and fight off union. It also has to do with retention pay we have 0 turn over so we get punished when it comes to GDP. I will also add there is only 2 ltl's in my area who make less on the hour Central Transport and Pitt-Ohio. Pitt has free health insurance so that is a wash.

Columbus got the raise their mean is 19.36 Dayton got the raise their mean is 18.36 talk about flawed. I did a comparison on this site just for fun comparing Charleston WV to Columbus OH this site is a pretty good tool to use here is the result http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/columbus-oh/60000
here is a Charlotte comparison http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/charlotte-nc/60000
and Hickory http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/hickory-nc/60000

Last edited:
Maybe the firm in question found that the mean LTL wage in group 1 was much higher than the mean "Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Driver" wage in that area, explaining why the relative difference in group 2 may have been deemed acceptable.

Some large employers of Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Drivers in those locales could have a significant factor in that mean wage.

No. I don't work for the firm in question, but does seem like it could be interesting...

Maybe the firm in question found that the mean LTL wage in group 1 was much higher than the mean "Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Driver" wage in that area, explaining why the relative difference in group 2 may have been deemed acceptable.

Some large employers of Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Drivers in those locales could have a significant factor in that mean wage.

No. I don't work for the firm in question, but does seem like it could be interesting...

Well that makes no sense if all of the ltls around us are making more that would raise the average proving this theory wrong.

Wah wah wah nothing will ever totally satisfy people around here ...YOU WILL STI'LL GET A RAISE IN OCTOBER can't always have your cake and eat it too if u want the extra money transfer to a terminal close to u that's getting it than complain about how u have to spend the extra money in gas traveling further to work it's a LOSE LOSE Scenario

Columbus got the raise their mean is 19.36 Dayton got the raise their mean is 18.36 talk about flawed. I did a comparison on this site just for fun comparing Charleston WV to Columbus OH this site is a pretty good tool to use here is the result http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/columbus-oh/60000
here is a Charlotte comparison http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/charlotte-nc/60000
and Hickory http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/hickory-nc/60000

That site is Kind of slow to load, but is does provide results:

"A salary of $50,000 in Charlotte, North Carolina should increase to$52,280 in Columbia, South Carolina"

This site loads faster http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

"Comparable salary in Greenville, SC $49,841" Note: $159 difference!

I am beginning to think that no one even LOOKED at the wages/costs for S. Carolina, W. Virginia, and I wonder,,, who else?

Maybe, there really is no hope. Integrity seem to be questionable. Perhaps that other route might be more likely to succeed.

That site is Kind of slow to load, but is does provide results:

"A salary of $50,000 in Charlotte, North Carolina should increase to$52,280 in Columbia, South Carolina"

This site loads faster http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

"Comparable salary in Greenville, SC $49,841" Note: $159 difference!

I am beginning to think that no one even LOOKED at the wages/costs for S. Carolina, W. Virginia, and I wonder,,, who else?

Maybe, there really is no hope. Integrity seem to be questionable. Perhaps that other route might be more likely to succeed.

I agree it's sad that we can't trust our company to do the right thing. I wonder who that 3rd party they hired to do this was LRI or Jackson Lewis. We have shown the facts in black and white most of these raises had nothing to do with cost of living.

Wah wah wah nothing will ever totally satisfy people around here ...YOU WILL STI'LL GET A RAISE IN OCTOBER can't always have your cake and eat it too if u want the extra money transfer to a terminal close to u that's getting it than complain about how u have to spend the extra money in gas traveling further to work it's a LOSE LOSE Scenario

Pretty cute reply. not helpful, but actually kind of cute. Actually smart guy, we did mention that (transfer) option in another thread. Not a bad option. There are a couple other options that I'm sure are being considered, as well.

I agree it's sad that we can't trust our company to do the right thing. I wonder who that 3rd party they hired to do this was LRI or Jackson Lewis. We have shown the facts in black and white most of these raises had nothing to do with cost of living.
True, or equally important, the competitive wage for a given area. That is what they call in depth analysis? I'm not buying it.

Or this works like the governments definition of Inflation. Once they took out food and fuel inflation rates plummeted and began to look great. So when the third party looks at things they conveniently leave things out. Since gas and food tax can vary quit a bit from State to State it probably helps.

Statistics can, will and is abused to prove any particular point.

it is both a beautiful art and science, but it can be used to further any agenda...

Statistics can, will and is abused to prove any particular point.

it is both a beautiful art and science, but it can be used to further any agenda...
While I agree in (general) concept with your statement, please show me how these figures can be manipulated to show anything other than inequity, of the various locations, within the Company. Not ALL numbers can be twisted, to support a desired position.

This situation will be a no win for any company, let alone FedEx.
Drivers that get the classification change are happy. I am one of them. Going to terminals where drivers are making more for the same job and living in an area comparable to you is frustrating. Drivers who were at the higher pay rate are mad they didn't get bumped up. They feel they should always stay a step above everyone else. And drivers who didn't get a bump in class feel betrayed. But if you put the whole company on the same pay rate across the country (the only fair way to pay drivers) then people who live in more expensive places to live will complain they make the same as someone who lives in a less expensive area.

So how do you fix it?

This situation will be a no win for any company, let alone FedEx.
Drivers that get the classification change are happy. I am one of them. Going to terminals where drivers are making more for the same job and living in an area comparable to you is frustrating. Drivers who were at the higher pay rate are mad they didn't get bumped up. They feel they should always stay a step above everyone else. And drivers who didn't get a bump in class feel betrayed. But if you put the whole company on the same pay rate across the country (the only fair way to pay drivers) then people who live in more expensive places to live will complain they make the same as someone who lives in a less expensive area.

So how do you fix it?
The simple, most effective solution would have been to eliminate the bottom scale. There seems to be the highest degree of discrepancy between the bottom 2 scales. Discrepancies that are blatantly obvious.