FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

I disagree. The quickest way would be to file a petition at your center.

Actually, I was being a smart ass. Kinda tough to to convince someone to leave, for the benefit of others. Still it is the QUICKEST way to force THAT particular issue. Their ability to attain and retain qualified labor.

When I said, "the list of options is fairly short...", I was alluding to the solution you mentioned. I thought it was obvious. :stirthepot:

In order to further prove the flaw in the GPD methods used at FedEx Freight, we might need to look more closely at the figures and methods used by our team members over on the Express side.

Now before the recent raise, the Express top rate for tractor trailer drivers was exactly $2.00 above the top rate for Freight, at the same location (about 3 miles away). That put Express right where they should be in terms of wages as compared to the competition. It would be good to know for certain if these comparisons remain true after the recent increases. I would encourage everyone to ask around, talk to your contacts at Express to see how we compare, then share this info. (current Freight top rate vs current Express top rate and location). If you'd like to remain anonymous, send it to me via the inbox feature at the top right of your screen.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics provides accurate and publicly available figures for comparing geographic locations. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

We are told that (unfortunately) driver turnover rates weigh most heavily in determining our GPD within FXFE. Now are we expected to believe that Express has a higher difficulty attracting and retaining Tractor Trailer Drivers, than does Freight? Seems unlikely, IMHO.

Bottom line: If Express uses a different and more accurate methodology and/or source for determining pay scales, it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve similar results for Freight, especialy since there seems to be (we're told) an effort to achieve parity in culture, in effect getting Freight on board with the same united "living PSP" philosophy as Corporate (Express).

If you'd like to see the GPD flaws addressed, put forth a little effort, and let's get the information that is critical in making the case. It doesn't matter where you stand on "that other issue", this effort should be easy to unite behind.

Although yes it is the same job, you can't compare express and freight. Just look at the profits of express compared to freight. Express is our bread winner, so of course they are gonna make more than us...simple math for me.

Although yes it is the same job, you can't compare express and freight. Just look at the profits of express compared to freight. Express is our bread winner, so of course they are gonna make more than us...simple math for me.

Irrelevant MeWork. Same qualifications, same labor pool, different cultural practice. Freight GPD is flawed. Using your criteria, FXFE should always (and everywhere) make more than UPSF, OD and Conway etc, based on profitability. We are told repeatedly that the degree of profit does not determine wages. Now, in this case, somehow it does? :scratchhead:

The flaw, it seems comes from this office: http://fedexfreight.jobs/memphis-tn/md-human-resources/37033A690B8B45A191CFECF96C49674C/job/

Fedex Freight, Inc.MD - Human Resources in Memphis Tennessee United States

"PURPOSE Direct Human Resource functions to include Compensation, Recruitment, Human Resources Development (HRD) and Diversity. Responsible for planning and developing strategic programs that have a direct impact on attracting, selecting, retaining and engaging key talent across the organization."

Also worth knowing, according to the annual report for FY 2015, FedEx Freight had a much better O/M (profitability factor) than Express did. Express also spends less on employee wages and benefits as a percentage of revenue than Freight does...

See the numbers below, and after chewing on that, tell us what that does to your theory.

Express:

jwB1s5E.jpg

Freight

v9sEKWa.jpg

Might as well swamp nobody has the testicular fortitude to stand up for themselves.

Interesting......I didn't realize that was a trait that varied compensation in our industry. Sheridan always said the we hired folks for their hearts and minds........never heard anything about the anatomical parts you refer to.....

Care to expound on your thoughts of the role testicles play in allowing one to perform their job at a higher level, so as to command increased compensation?

Last edited:
Might as well swamp nobody has the testicular fortitude to stand up for themselves.

The thing is, the issue/problem is not going to go away. The Company can resist the market, for some time, but... This issue is going to become more difficult to avoid. Even where turnover has not yet become significant, attaining drivers and technicians will become more difficult. The flaws in the GPD system effect the sub-par locations as a whole, not just drivers. We've had difficulty attracting quality applicants for the shop too.

The thing is, the issue/problem is not going to go away. The Company can resist the market, for some time, but... This issue is going to become more difficult to avoid. Even where turnover has not yet become significant, attaining drivers and technicians will become more difficult. The flaws in the GPD system effect the sub-par locations as a whole, not just drivers. We've had difficulty attracting quality applicants for the shop too.

Bingo!

Best of all, none of it requires a non-productive back and forth kicking in the sack contest to test the "fortitude" of sensitive areas......

I really don't think it has got to the point to even be on their radar or they would be fixing it.