FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

Is the wage you show on here, is that an average pay for us? Because I make $27.33 an hour in my paycheck.
CT already answered, but thank you (really) for helping make the point :1036316054:, that is the overriding theme of this thread. The flaw is that while some locations, like yours, are very competitive, others are not... If you were to transfer here, you would be disappointed in our deficit to the competition, regardless of the cost of living difference. One might think that the differences would be relative and inconsequential. That would be a mistake, at FXFE.

You could help us on this issue, if you were able to share where our competitors are, in your area. We know UPSF is $27.65, putting you very close to them. We might even be ahead of Conway/XPO and O.D. in your area. Either way the difference seems to be within a zone of reasonableness.

Others seem to have been reluctant to share specifics. Perhaps you might be more willing to assist in our quest for accurate info. We would greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

Trucking industry employment suffering from image problem

http://www.charlestonbusiness.com/n...employment-suffering-from-image-problem?rss=0

"Lantz said he gives prospective students the same response when they ask about the prospect of getting a job.

“I say, the only way you don’t get a job is if you don’t want to work, because there are so many jobs available right now.“

S.C. Department of Motor Vehicle records for 2015 show there are 45,935 heavy trucks, those weighing more than 26,000 pounds, on the road compared with 42,843 in 2012."

“We have had some growth,” Todd said. “Certainly the vehicle fleet is about back to where it was prerecession. Some companies are larger now. You are going to have a large number, probably a disproportionate number, in the Upstate just because of the manufacturing presence. There is a lot in Charleston.” Todd said trucking company operators “will all tell you that lack of qualified drivers is holding them back.”"

* The bottom (or near bottom) of the competitive pay scale is NOT a good place for a company to be, IMHO.

Is the technician shortage becoming a catastrophe?

http://fleetowner.com/fleet-management/technician-shortage-becoming-catastrophe

“Technicians and their ongoing training needs are of the utmost importance for this industry; that includes looking at everything from pay and benefits to working conditions,” he said. “We also must continually train them; that’s a cost the industry can’t afford to do without..."

Yet another effect of a flawed GPD (pay scale) system. An incorrect GPD effects, not only Driver retention/recruiting, but all employees, including Technicians. We've had a help wanted sign out front for months...

Is the technician shortage becoming a catastrophe?

http://fleetowner.com/fleet-management/technician-shortage-becoming-catastrophe

“Technicians and their ongoing training needs are of the utmost importance for this industry; that includes looking at everything from pay and benefits to working conditions,” he said. “We also must continually train them; that’s a cost the industry can’t afford to do without..."

Yet another effect of a flawed GPD (pay scale) system. An incorrect GPD effects, not only Driver retention/recruiting, but all employees, including Technicians. We've had a help wanted sign out front for months...

This is Fedex's biggest problem with techs, no training what so ever. It's a learn as you screw up philosophy. These trucks are very very complex when you start getting into them.

9 years and not one training class...except wheel end that had a stemco guy out for about 2 hours on stuff that is super basic.

But hey if they want to pay us to guess I'm good with that.

This is Fedex's biggest problem with techs, no training what so ever. It's a learn as you screw up philosophy. These trucks are very very complex when you start getting into them.

9 years and not one training class...except wheel end that had a stemco guy out for about 2 hours on stuff that is super basic.

But hey if they want to pay us to guess I'm good with that.
That's true in more than just your shop/shop's. Our guys say the same thing except they just call it the earn while you learn,paint it black and send it back.When i shopped my truck for the check engine light on had it for 2 days and the shop boss asked me how was it running ? Just fine i said which it was but since it still, was under warrenty they might want to get it fixed.Shop boss said well just keep driving it and let me know if it gets any worse,ok load up with 11 units and down the road i go at 61.97 mph (we are set at 62) and did my truckdriver fix I put a piece of tape over the light,problem fixed,lol told the guys in the shopm I feel sorry for ya can't get any training or books on what to do with any problems. "niuff said everybody stay safe

Another month goes by and the hiring sign remains. We wonder at what point will they offer a competitive (GPD) wage, or will the next step be some type of sign on bonus? :scratchhead:

8qoIsmV.jpg

One of the biggest problems is no one wants to start on 3rd shift as a tech. The experienced guys don't want to leave current job that they have worked to 1st shift...and most kids coming out of school don't want to give up there "social" life to work 3rd.

That and the absolute zero OT we get. We may get offered OT 2 to 3 times a year and most of the time it is 2-4 hrs at a time. We (techs) make good money for what we have to do, but most mechanics make their money on OT.

But yes we had a job opening a few weeks ago and had one qualified applicant.

One of the biggest problems is no one wants to start on 3rd shift as a tech. The experienced guys don't want to leave current job that they have worked to 1st shift...and most kids coming out of school don't want to give up there "social" life to work 3rd.

That and the absolute zero OT we get. We may get offered OT 2 to 3 times a year and most of the time it is 2-4 hrs at a time. We (techs) make good money for what we have to do, but most mechanics make their money on OT.

But yes we had a job opening a few weeks ago and had one qualified applicant.
What do you guys start at in the shop and does it have a top rate? Our guys make 24.63 plus shift difference if on 2nd or 3rd."nuff said just trolling

I only scanned through parts of this thread, because the title raised my curiosity, but in regard to linehaul, Fed Ex Freight is close to the top of the pay scale for top rate, at least in the northeast. UPSF is on top, with Fed Ex Freight following, and Old Dominion is below Fed Ex Freight. I'm pretty sure OD is above XPO and Estes for top rate linehaul mileage pay.

...Fed Ex Freight is close to the top of the pay scale for top rate, at least in the northeast. UPSF is on top, with Fed Ex Freight following, and Old Dominion is below Fed Ex Freight. I'm pretty sure OD is above XPO and Estes for top rate linehaul mileage pay.
Not sure exactly where you are, but I can assure you that is most certaily NOT the case for some locations. Hence, the "flawed system" description.

In order to further prove the flaw in the GPD methods used at FedEx Freight, we might need to look more closely at the figures and methods used by our team members over on the Express side.

Now before the recent raise, the Express top rate for tractor trailer drivers was exactly $2.00 above the top rate for Freight, at the same location (about 3 miles away). That put Express right where they should be in terms of wages as compared to the competition. It would be good to know for certain if these comparisons remain true after the recent increases. I would encourage everyone to ask around, talk to your contacts at Express to see how we compare, then share this info. (current Freight top rate vs current Express top rate and location). If you'd like to remain anonymous, send it to me via the inbox feature at the top right of your screen.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics provides accurate and publicly available figures for comparing geographic locations. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

We are told that (unfortunately) driver turnover rates weigh most heavily in determining our GPD within FXFE. Now are we expected to believe that Express has a higher difficulty attracting and retaining Tractor Trailer Drivers, than does Freight? Seems unlikely, IMHO.

Bottom line: If Express uses a different and more accurate methodology and/or source for determining pay scales, it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve similar results for Freight, especialy since there seems to be (we're told) an effort to achieve parity in culture, in effect getting Freight on board with the same united "living PSP" philosophy as Corporate (Express).

If you'd like to see the GPD flaws addressed, put forth a little effort, and let's get the information that is critical in making the case. It doesn't matter where you stand on "that other issue", this effort should be easy to unite behind.
If a Freight driver were to transfer over to Express do you know if they would have to start at the bottom pay scale? Also, do you know of any site similar to this that I could speak with other Express drivers?

If a Freight driver were to transfer over to Express do you know if they would have to start at the bottom pay scale? Also, do you know of any site similar to this that I could speak with other Express drivers?

Great questions... I "think" we would start at the bottom pay scale (technically a separate company) , but that would be worth looking into. As far a public forum for Express? I'm not aware of any. My info comes from speaking directly to drivers. "Most" are not particularly comfortable talking about specifics. There are not very many tractor trailer drivers at Express, in comparison, so making contact is not easy.

Great questions... I "think" we would start at the bottom pay scale (technically a separate company) , but that would be worth looking into. As far a public forum for Express? I'm not aware of any. My info comes from speaking directly to drivers. "Most" are not particularly comfortable talking about specifics. There are not very many tractor trailer drivers at Express, in comparison, so making contact is not easy.
Thanks for the reply. I'll dig around some more.

Thanks for the reply. I'll dig around some more.
I talked to a driver who came over to us from Ground and he had to start at the bottom pay scale. I think Swamp might be right about separate companies. But it was ground to freight, so maybe freight to express may be different.