FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

This from a another thread, in case you missed it:

One last thing, I think many people don't realize that this GPD adjustment is not some type of bonus or annual increase. Everyone will still get the annual bonus in the summer and the pay raise in October.

Be aware, annual raises will NOT ever bring any center in line with the competition or other similar centers within the company. Just not possible. This was a one (rare) time chance to fix things. Get used to it. Or do some research.

A lot to read:
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/th...on-to-vote-in-a-union-at-fedex-freight.59771/

Good info in this one too:
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/before-vote-reading-remember.63550/

I'd like to use an emoticon, that I rarely use, to show the near universal consensus of how we feel in South Carolina. In fact we'll use it 4 times to represent the 4 centers... .............................................:nut kick: :nut kick: :nut kick: :nut kick:

I'd like to use an emoticon, that I rarely use, to show the near universal consensus of how we feel in South Carolina. In fact we'll use it 4 times to represent the 4 centers... .............................................:nut kick: :nut kick: :nut kick: :nut kick:
Is it possible that the SC centers didn't get it because you are a right to work state and they don't fear you guys voting in the union? Just a thought

I see the next closest terminal to ours needed a GPD bump but did not get it. They are one pay grade lower then us which if you figure on a 40 hour week is $3000 less. The CNN link says the difference for $50,000 here to there is $105 less to live on there. So there is a terminal that was overlooked in my opinion.

This from a another thread, in case you missed it:

Be aware, annual raises will NOT ever bring any center in line with the competition or other similar centers within the company. Just not possible. This was a one (rare) time chance to fix things. Get used to it. Or do some research.

A lot to read:
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/th...on-to-vote-in-a-union-at-fedex-freight.59771/

Good info in this one too:
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/before-vote-reading-remember.63550/
Just curious, how many jobs are in your area where one could make $23+ an hour with the opportunity for overtime (which you've stated you get plenty of) with no college education?

I can assure you, there are MANY. Exactly how many is irrelevant to this discussion. Are you suggesting a career change? Unnecessary because most of these jobs that pay $23+ (actually $24+, $25+, $26+) are, in fact, Truck Driving jobs.

For some time we've been talking about parity (lack there of) with the competition. The high goal (top shelf), prevailing wage was UPSF. Even if we scratch them from the list (obvious reasons) for comparison purposes, we still fall far short of the companies that we are supposed to be better than. Again, this varies (by degree) by location.

We hoped that if the company became aware of the shortcomings in comparison to the competition, in certain locations, they would see the need to correct them. Many believed they would correct, if given a chance (even you?). It truth, the Company refuses to (willingly) provide parity, EVEN WITHIN THE COMPANY! If you really want to be shocked, one day we'll talk about parity of op-cos.

I know you can see the problem, Red.

Just curious, how many jobs are in your area where one could make $23+ an hour with the opportunity for overtime (which you've stated you get plenty of) with no college education?
Some people are just happy they get a ::shit:: sandwich each and every day......
Not everyone with a college degree sits behind a desk and figures out ways to screw a blue collar worker out of a fair living......

Last edited:
$50,000K in Charlotte is $88,120 in San Francisco or $77,666 in Orange County, CA.

That's $24.03/hr in Charlotte and $42.37/hr in SFO.

--or--

$28/hr in SFO is equivalent to $15.88/hr in Charlotte.

Clearly, local competitive wages must be heavily weighted when deciding which wages should be adjusted and which shouldn't. You can't just look at a cost of living comparison and decide to adjust across company wide. Additionally, just because the cost of living in my hometown is lower than your hometown doesn't mean you should get a bump up, or I bumped down. Maybe my industry local unemployment numbers are 5% and yours are 10%. Maybe your city's largest employer is getting ready to move out of state and this firm determined that there will be plenty of willing and able folks flooding the local market soon.

The cost of living calculators should be weighted, how much would depend on your desired outcome. :argue:

Often these consulting firms are hired to gather data to support their customers' desires, not gather data to determine their customers' desires.

Last edited:
i dont think it sould matter what my neighbers are paid im part of making this company hug profits and should receive compairable wages to my coworkers and not be punished for being at a terminal with loyal employees

Exactly if they wanted to do the right thing there would be 1 pay scale but im sure that would dip into one of their bonuses. Thats why they will never do it.

While your at it swamp name some of those other companies that posted a 68 million dollar profit in what typically is there worst quarter.

$50,000K in Charlotte is $88,120 in San Francisco or $77,666 in Orange County, CA.

That's $24.03/hr in Charlotte and $42.37/hr in SFO.

--or--

$28/hr in SFO is equivalent to $15.88/hr in Charlotte.

Clearly, local competitive wages must be heavily weighted when deciding which wages should be adjusted and which shouldn't. You can't just look at a cost of living comparison and decide to adjust across company wide. Additionally, just because the cost of living in my hometown is lower than your hometown doesn't mean you should get a bump up, or I bumped down. Maybe my industry local unemployment numbers are 5% and yours are 10%. Maybe your city's largest employer is getting ready to move out of state and this firm determined that there will be plenty of willing and able folks flooding the local market soon.

The cost of living calculators should be weighted, how much would depend on your desired outcome. :argue:

Often these consulting firms are hired to gather data to support their customers' desires, not gather data to determine their customers' desires.
Agreed, Cost of living is a small (very small?) piece of the puzzle. That is why the heaviest weight should be placed on the comparative wage. I couldn't agree more.

San Francisco shows Mean Average between 22.44 and 22.81 (depending on which of 3 subsets of data given for that locale) REMINDER: Numbers are for comparison, not exact wage amount. see below.

That should put them right there with Reno and/or Newark in comparable wage, but below the likes of Chicago.

I especially agree with this part (below). It could/might be the root of our problem. I'd rather not say what it looks like if that's not it. I do have a test for that theory coming soon.

EX396 said:

Last edited:
I can assure you, there are MANY. Exactly how many is irrelevant to this discussion. Are you suggesting a career change? Unnecessary because most of these jobs that pay $23+ (actually $24+, $25+, $26+) are, in fact, Truck Driving jobs.

For some time we've been talking about parity (lack there of) with the competition. The high goal (top shelf), prevailing wage was UPSF. Even if we scratch them from the list (obvious reasons) for comparison purposes, we still fall far short of the companies that we are supposed to be better than. Again, this varies (by degree) by location.

We hoped that if the company became aware of the shortcomings in comparison to the competition, in certain locations, they would see the need to correct them. Many believed they would correct, if given a chance (even you?). It truth, the Company refuses to (willingly) provide parity, EVEN WITHIN THE COMPANY! If you really want to be shocked, one day we'll talk about parity of op-cos.

I know you can see the problem, Red.
No, I wasn't thinking that at all....was thinking more along the lines of EX396's response....Local competitive wages probably played a bigger part in their decisions than just local trucking wages.
Also, as I responded to CT on another thread, if the turnover rate at your location is low and the ability to hire qualified drivers is high, that's probably another sign that your wages are more in line with where they should be for your area...right or wrong is debatable although neither are my opinion.....As I've stated before, I'd have no problem with only two pay scales...one for NYC, Boston, Chi, SF, etc...(centers with extremely high COL), and one for everyone else.

Some people are just happy they get a :::shit::: sandwich each and every day......
Not everyone with a college degree sits behind a desk and figures out ways to screw a blue collar worker out of a fair living......
And some people shouldn't worry about what everyone else is getting and just be happy with what they've got...because somewhere somebody else would love to have their sandwich!

And some people shouldn't worry about what everyone else is getting and just be happy with what they've got...because somewhere somebody else would love to have their sandwich!
Hope your happy that your hero Frederick wanted more than his ::shit:: sandwich....Eaten someones left overs never much worked for me...