FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

Bump can't fill open driving positions at my center. Might be time to re-visit this flawed system.

This will be the only thing that leads to "adjustments" "corrections. Pretty clear that the economic conditions in your area have improved as "greatness" returns, big time.

Meanwhile, continue to keep an eye on Charleston, SC. Resistance to fix the obvious is highlighted there, IMHO.

4 city and 2 road open here for over a month. No transfers so looking to the street and driver apprentice now. GPD is being talked about to sweeten the deal. Sign on bonus to the new hire and bonus to any driver who brings a driver in is also rumored.

In lieu of a sign on bonus, they’d probably be able to lure away some highly qualified drivers from other LTL companies if they were to honor some of their already earned bennies...for example, say a driver with XPO, Saia, Wilson, etc is unhappy but has been there “to long to leave”, offer to honor their already earned two/three weeks vacation even though they’d still be at the bottom of the seniority board to come over.

Just offering a sign on bonus will get applicants who follow their GPS onto the beach IMO!!

In lieu of a sign on bonus, they’d probably be able to lure away some highly qualified drivers from other LTL companies if they were to honor some of their already earned bennies...for example, say a driver with XPO, Saia, Wilson, etc is unhappy but has been there “to long to leave”, offer to honor their already earned two/three weeks vacation even though they’d still be at the bottom of the seniority board to come over.

Just offering a sign on bonus will get applicants who follow their GPS onto the beach IMO!!

What good is vacation if you can't take it when you want to?

So, instead of a one time sign on bonus, they get a multi year bonus until service time here catches up to their accrued vacation? That should really sit well with their peers.

So, instead of a one time sign on bonus, they get a multi year bonus until service time here catches up to their accrued vacation? That should really sit well with their peers.
It was just a suggestion...and personally I wouldn’t have a problem with it, I usually don’t concern myself with what others are doing unles it directly effects me.

Would ya’ll (RC & Co) care to come up with a suggestion as to how to attract highly qualified employees instead of relying on greenhorns or guys who follow their GPS onto the boardwalk/beach?

Being as how &Co consists of more than one entity, shouldn’t it be all y’all?
We think y’all must be a poser.
In Our Humble Opinion, skilled, qualified drivers willing to pull doubles are few and far between. To ask someone that is truly qualified to drive just a few miles a night and then spend the rest of the night loading trailers is ludicrous.
Compound that by the fact that in several locations there is little or no chance to be anything other than a shuttle driver, it’s no wonder that we don’t have people wanting to be a road driver.
In the mean time the bar has been lowered. Lowered to the point of becoming a trip hazard.

Being as how &Co consists of more than one entity, shouldn’t it be all y’all?
We think y’all must be a poser.
In Our Humble Opinion, skilled, qualified drivers willing to pull doubles are few and far between. To ask someone that is truly qualified to drive just a few miles a night and then spend the rest of the night loading trailers is ludicrous.
Compound that by the fact that in several locations there is little or no chance to be anything other than a shuttle driver, it’s no wonder that we don’t have people wanting to be a road driver.
In the mean time the bar has been lowered. Lowered to the point of becoming a trip hazard.
I suppose y’all would be more appropriate...

Perhaps at end of line centers this is the case but at some hubs the story “could” be quite different. We’ve added almost 30 road drivers in the last year and a half and for those who came a year and a half ago, some already have daytime bids and others have PM bids with neither being shuttle runs. Some run extra board and have been on days for awhile getting 600+ miles per day if wanted.

We draw road drivers from our city board so any new hires would drive city, it’s these highly qualified drivers that we look for.

I suppose y’all would be more appropriate...

Perhaps at end of line centers this is the case but at some hubs the story “could” be quite different. We’ve added almost 30 road drivers in the last year and a half and for those who came a year and a half ago, some already have daytime bids and others have PM bids with neither being shuttle runs. Some run extra board and have been on days for awhile getting 600+ miles per day if wanted.

We draw road drivers from our city board so any new hires would drive city, it’s these highly qualified drivers that we look for.
Must be nice. Our experience has been nowhere near that. After going from 96 drivers to 21 in 12 months during the salvation of the west, our board has grown to 35. The next to the bottom day shift driver has 27 years seniority.
Lots to look forward to here at our 175 door hub!

My old terminal can't give jobs away. 3 city, and 5 road runs open. Hiring off the street.
The road jobs are bid runs at that, 400mi + a minimum of 3hrs dock
$80,0000yr job, and they cant find anyone..

The last road bid left 3 open positions.
They have gone to the city guys and asked for volunteers to run those runs for a month or until they can get people hired..

Fx better wake up, and start paying their drivers. Young men dont see it as a lucrative career anymore,and for the most part it isn't.

#1 reason I left, was stagnation in pay. Experienced City guys making a solid $30,000 a year LESS than a fresh off the street road driver.

My old terminal can't give jobs away. 3 city, and 5 road runs open. Hiring off the street.
The road jobs are bid runs at that, 400mi + a minimum of 3hrs dock
$80,0000yr job, and they cant find anyone..

The last road bid left 3 open positions.
They have gone to the city guys and asked for volunteers to run those runs for a month or until they can get people hired..

Fx better wake up, and start paying their drivers. Young men dont see it as a lucrative career anymore,and for the most part it isn't.

#1 reason I left, was stagnation in pay. Experienced City guys making a solid $30,000 a year LESS than a fresh off the street road driver.
How many hours were each working?

In my 7yrs there, I averaged right at 4hrs of OT a week.
Current pay scale puts that driver at about $55k a year.

The LOWEST bid run at our terminal started out at $83k yr, and you could walk right off the street and have it.
Umm, ok. Why don't you say what terminal so folks that can move to where the money is have an idea.