FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

Well thats great but what about the guys at bottom pay scale 23.68 who are on 10 hour bids they get little to no ot. You fail to mention our declining benefit package even though Fed Ex is making more money than ever. We should be towards the top with our benefits package not close to the bottom after all we are still the 1 ltl.
If they are on 10 hour bids, more than likely they chose to be. Most places I've worked have the most senior city drivers on 10 hour bids so junior drivers never have a chance to bid them. My only complaint is about the higher cost of healthcare but I switched to the choice plan two years ago and actually saved money. I am worried about having a major medical issue and how that will impact my wallet but I"d be worried about that 5 years ago as well. In terms of being at the bottom, how do you know we are? Do you know all of the wages, benefits of our competitors? I only know what other drivers tell me. I know several make more per hour but they also don't have the 401k, bonus, pension, and some other things like OT after 40 hours. Some are better, some are worse, some are the same.

If they are on 10 hour bids, more than likely they chose to be. Most places I've worked have the most senior city drivers on 10 hour bids so junior drivers never have a chance to bid them. My only complaint is about the higher cost of healthcare but I switched to the choice plan two years ago and actually saved money. I am worried about having a major medical issue and how that will impact my wallet but I"d be worried about that 5 years ago as well. In terms of being at the bottom, how do you know we are? Do you know all of the wages, benefits of our competitors? I only know what other drivers tell me. I know several make more per hour but they also don't have the 401k, bonus, pension, and some other things like OT after 40 hours. Some are better, some are worse, some are the same.
Let's not also forget the equipment, as a majority of our fleet is newer than most...and there's a lot to be said for being able to drive the same truck everyday. When a road driver at YRC, for example, gets dispatched for the day, they're told what truck to drive along with the trls to pull....and when that same driver gets to a meet point, he swaps out the tractor and trailer, not just the trls as we do. Also, since we're a scheduled carrier, most of our drivers arrive at the meet point in a timely manner, barring a breakdown...I've seen and heard the complaints from drivers of other carriers waiting hours on end for their meet driver.
The job isn't always about the wages and bennies, there's other variables that must be considered when evaluating the worth of the job.

Let's not also forget the equipment, as a majority of our fleet is newer than most...and there's a lot to be said for being able to drive the same truck everyday. When a road driver at YRC, for example, gets dispatched for the day, they're told what truck to drive along with the trls to pull....and when that same driver gets to a meet point, he swaps out the tractor and trailer, not just the trls as we do. Also, since we're a scheduled carrier, most of our drivers arrive at the meet point in a timely manner, barring a breakdown...I've seen and heard the complaints from drivers of other carriers waiting hours on end for their meet driver.
The job isn't always about the wages and bennies, there's other variables that must be considered when evaluating the worth of the job.
Let's not forget the cool uniform!

I perform how I perform because it's how I was raised and I'm pretty certain I understand capitalism. I don't however lower my work ethic or standards simply because my pay rate is $1.00 an hour lower than other non union competitors. Again, my seniority allows me to average 45 hours a week. Even our lower senior drivers average 45 hours a week. A dollar an hour less doesn't necessarily equate to a lower weekly gross or take home either.

So in your opinion if the wages or raises aren't up to your liking, you will lower your output to adjust accordingly? If you are making 90% of what you think you should be making, then you'll only come in and give 90% effort? It's that type of attitude in my opinion that erodes attitudes in general. I'd love to have received the bump in pay but I'm not going to lose one minute of sleep over it nor do I choose to come to work with a different attitude.

Lastly in terms of inequity, when I worked at AAA Cooper, very few difference in pay scales existed. In my opinion, that is inequity when we have drivers working in Southern Cali, Boston, NY, making only $0.50 more an hour when the average median home price is $350k versus $150k where I live.
I do appreciate the question mark regarding the wages vs output topic you raised. I've not suggested reductions in output. BUT the company does expect a high end product, at low-mid cost. There is a balance that needs to be achieved/maintained, to keep enthusiasm at a premium level. Agree?

At some point one must pay attention to market conditions and push for better. Is there a point where you would join an effort to improve the condition at your current employer, rather that just walk?

Nope not here the senior drivers know you can't make any money on the 10 hour bids so they don't take them. Yes I talk to other drivers from different companies how else would I know fed ex is towards the bottom in benefits. Like I said about ot after 8 its great if you can get it but my barn and many others they have over hired many ot is a thing of the past.

Nope not here the senior drivers know you can't make any money on the 10 hour bids so they don't take them. Yes I talk to other drivers from different companies how else would I know fed ex is towards the bottom in benefits. Like I said about ot after 8 its great if you can get it but my barn and many others they have over hired many ot is a thing of the past.
We HAD over hired. There were several who left for different reasons, medical, not enough hours, transfer out. etc. I "think" we might be hiring again, but it seems to me we're getting enough hours. I would actually enjoy the occasional 8 hour day.

Wah wah wah nothing will ever totally satisfy people around here ...YOU WILL STI'LL GET A RAISE IN OCTOBER can't always have your cake and eat it too if u want the extra money transfer to a terminal close to u that's getting it than complain about how u have to spend the extra money in gas traveling further to work it's a LOSE LOSE Scenario
Maybe I don't want to troll. We stuck it out taking abuse and crap from this company and tripled the stock price in 6 years. How do you think the did that? On OUR collective backs....They have the money, and have no problem paying road driver $100,000 a year....They created all of this...We baked their cake....we just want our piece of it....

After doing a little more research, I found some interesting numbers...when we look at the average median income for the various locations in question, you'll find that the actual GPD raises may have been more in line than what people actually thought.

When we look at the average median income for CLT, we'll see that it's $51,251 a year...and CLT was given the bump a couple years ago when that number was actually higher than it is now.
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/north-carolina/charlotte/

When we look at the average median income for CUB, we'll see that's it's $48,672 a year...and CUB didn't receive the bump.
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/south-carolina/columbia/

When we look at the average median income for CRW, we'll see that it's $45,251 a year...and CRW didn't receive the bump either.
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/west-virginia/charleston/

Now when we factor in the wage difference, $1.40 an hour for 2080 hrs (40 hrs a week X 52 weeks) we'll see that if using CLT as a baseline, CLT and CUB are about in line with where their wages should be.....however, using CLT as the same baseline, the guys in CRW are actually overpaid!!

After doing a little more research, I found some interesting numbers...when we look at the average median income for the various locations in question, you'll find that the actual GPD raises may have been more in line than what people actually thought.

When we look at the average median income for CLT, we'll see that it's $51,251 a year...and CLT was given the bump a couple years ago when that number was actually higher than it is now.

When we look at the average median income for CUB, we'll see that's it's $48,672 a year...and CUB didn't receive the bump.

When we look at the average median income for CRW, we'll see that it's $45,251 a year...and CRW didn't receive the bump either.

Now when we factor in the wage difference, $1.40 an hour for 2080 hrs (40 hrs a week X 52 weeks) we'll see that if using CLT as a baseline, CLT and CUB are about in line with where their wages should be.....however, using CLT as the same baseline, the guys in CRW are actually overpaid!!

Yeah that makes sense only 2 other ltls make less than us around here. That right there tells you your numbers are wrong if you look at cost of living we are higher than the majority who got raise. So the (anti union raise) not even the great red racer can explain.

Just to prove my ol buddy red wrong again here are some more Columbus got the raise their mean is 19.36 Dayton got the raise their mean is 18.36 talk about flawed. I did a comparison on this site just for fun comparing Charleston WV to Columbus OH this site is a pretty good tool to use here is the result http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/columbus-oh/60000
here is a Charlotte comparison http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/charlotte-nc/60000
and Hickory http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/hickory-nc/60000

Just to prove my ol buddy red wrong again here are some more Columbus got the raise their mean is 19.36 Dayton got the raise their mean is 18.36 talk about flawed. I did a comparison on this site just for fun comparing Charleston WV to Columbus OH this site is a pretty good tool to use here is the result http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/columbus-oh/60000
here is a Charlotte comparison http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/charlotte-nc/60000
and Hickory http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charleston-wv/hickory-nc/60000
You do know the difference between cost of living and average median income?

When looking at the average median income for Columbus, Ohio, it's quite obvious they did deserve the GPD bump...you on the other hand are STILL overpaid for what you make vs the average median income for CRW.

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/ohio/columbus/

You do know the difference between cost of living and average median income?

When looking at the average median income for Columbus, Ohio, it's quite obvious they did deserve the GPD bump...you on the other hand are STILL overpaid for what you make vs the average median income for CRW.

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/ohio/columbus/

What does the median income have to do with us? It makes no sense to compare us with other industries. Just proves that this system they use is flawed. Explain to me why we are technically only higher paid than Cental transport I dont count Pitt ohio since their insurance is free and alot better than ours. The only thing they should use is cost of living and the other comparative ltls when looking at pay.

Last edited:
What does the median income have to do with us? It makes no sense to compare us with other industries. Just proves that this system they use is flawed. Explain to me why we are technically only higher paid than Cental transport I dont count Pitt ohio since their insurance is free and alot better than ours. The only thing they should use is cost of living and the other comparative ltls when looking at pay.
So they should only use whatever number benefits you?
I don't know what parameters they use but I'm guessing that the average median income played a role in their equation.

So they should only use whatever number benefits you?
I don't know what parameters they use but I'm guessing that the average median income played a role in their equation.

And you didn't explain how every other ltl around here pays more. Competitive pay with other ltls and cost of living make sense your other bs does not simple as that. So how is compairing pay with other jobs other than truck driving make sense?

Redracer, I give you high praise for attempting to provide some rhyme or reason to the methods. Few even bother. Again, I appreciate the effort!:clapping:

I too looked at the "average" (mean) wages for all occupations, in various locations. NOTE: "Mean" (average) is far more relevant than "median". For those not familiar with the terms: Median is the middle number between highest and lowest, with no weight given to anything in between. Average (mean) is all the numbers added together, then divided by the total, thereby giving "weight" to each wage throughout the progression. How much weight depends on how many make each given wage.

A couple things:

If they used numbers like you showed, the process is in fact proven to be deeply flawed. Even in they used the Mean (average), that too is a deep flaw because FedEx is not able to draw from all occupations. At Freight they must draw from a specific skill set. One that has nothing to do with the population at large. One area may have a multitude of rocket scientist (or migrant farm workers). But few that could qualify for all of the requirements placed on FedEx CDL drivers. DOT Medical, FMCSA, HazMat, background checks, Drug tests, Driving records, etc, etc, etc.

You see, there is a certain pool of qualified drivers. While it doesn't have to be LTL specific, it certainly has to be on the high side within the industry.

When I looked at those Mean numbers (all occupations) a while back, I found inconsistencies there as well. Again, I use Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 numbers.

CLT 23.22
GBO 20.12
HKY 17.82
THE ABOVE QUALIFY, THE BELOW DO NOT
CUB 19.72
GSP 19.51-19.36
CHS 20.56

As a reference to further show the inconsistency, even if they used "all occupations", look at this one:
Reno NV 20.75 :Note: Charlotte does not make Reno wages. Certainly not above them.

Bottom line: One location may have some high wages, in general. Isn't CLT a banking powerhouse? Their wage has nothing to do with drivers. So we must look at wages within our sector of the economy.

Now, I'm not about to make the case for every single location. I think I've made the case for my area, as far as qualifying for a GPD adjustment. Certainly some areas are right in line with where they need to be. Other than Crazy Trucker, I don't see too many making their case. Either the case can't be made, or they choose not to.

For a fee, I'd be happy to go to HARRISON OR MEMPHIS and help provide some consistent data. That fee would likely be less than half of what they currently pay for irrelevant data.

Back to the weekend festivities.:kicking: