FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

1st of, if you work in a location with wages that are competitive with other carriers, this thread is not for you. Nothing to see here, unless you just want to look on for the entertainment value.

According to Mr.Ducker (President of FXFE), in depth analysis was COMPLETED on the topic of Geographic Pay Differentials (GPD). According to numbers supplied to FedEx, some centers qualify, while others do not. So far so good. We understand all may not qualify.

The problem I have, and many others who did not qualify have, is we know for a fact that we are paid less than the vast majority of the competition. We also know that the cost of living in some of our areas also justify a similar wage to the higher GPD locations. I am certainly not going to accuse anyone at FedEx of deception or dishonesty, BUT perhaps, as I suggest, the Company has been misinformed by the very firm used to supply the comparative information, telling FedEx what they think they want to hear. I can't prove motives, but I can prove the fact that the decisions are based on flawed analysis.

Case in point. We know that NAS, Hickory, GBO, were bumped up a scale (rightfully so). We know that Charlotte is and has been at that same (higher) scale, for some time. We also know that no South Carolina centers qualified for the adjustment.

Going forward we will use Charlotte as a BASELINE, while using Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) "Mean hourly wage of Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers” to compare. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

While the numbers provide no specific LTL data (LTL is always high end), they do provide the perfect numbers for comparing wages in various locations. The individual number means little. However, how it compares markets, means everything.

Mean Hourly Wage Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers.

Charlotte 19.22

Nashville 19.95

Hickory 19.04

Greensboro 19.10

This first group is deemed worthy of the $25.08/hour scale.

Now lets look at some who did NOT qualify for an adjustment:

Columbia 20.09

Florence 19.80

GSP 19.91-19.85

CHS 20.52

The second group? Said to be just fine at $23.68

Do we see the flaw? Do we see fair? Do we see the inconsistency?

Just to show the numbers are relevent, let's look at some higher priced locales:

Chicago 23.57

Newark 22.62

Reno 22.83

Philadelphia 21.75

I would suggest that FedEx sever their ties with the current firm used to determine these matters.They have FAILED. Or make them provide some actual LTL "company specific" information. At a minimum, an immediate second opinion is in order.

It is a shame that I an find accurate information, while the firm hired has not. Clearly, this type of work in NOT within my pay scale (differential)

Stay tuned for cost of living comparisons, which combined with the above true facts will further dispel any myth of an in depth analysis determining the adjustments, or lack thereof.
If FedEx Freight is paying less to it's employees that live in different areas, does that mean that when the freight is picked up in that area where the wages are less, do they now charge less for that freight to be picked up. My point is, no matter where you live, doing the same work, you should get paid the same across the board, just like the freight costing the same, no matter where it is picked up, or delivered.

If FedEx Freight is paying less to it's employees that live in different areas, does that mean that when the freight is picked up in that area where the wages are less, do they now charge less for that freight to be picked up. My point is, no matter where you live, doing the same work, you should get paid the same across the board, just like the freight costing the same, no matter where it is picked up, or delivered.

That will never happen it's another way to save a buck and rip of their hard working drivers.

HAHAHAHAHAHA....Fat chance for that....They'll take and say thank you very much.

Let's not also forget the equipment, as a majority of our fleet is newer than most...and there's a lot to be said for being able to drive the same truck everyday. When a road driver at YRC, for example, gets dispatched for the day, they're told what truck to drive along with the trls to pull....and when that same driver gets to a meet point, he swaps out the tractor and trailer, not just the trls as we do. Also, since we're a scheduled carrier, most of our drivers arrive at the meet point in a timely manner, barring a breakdown...I've seen and heard the complaints from drivers of other carriers waiting hours on end for their meet driver.
The job isn't always about the wages and bennies, there's other variables that must be considered when evaluating the worth of the job.

Who gives a fat rat's foot about equipment? Really? It's not yours....You think they are doing that for you?

Guys need some help here. I ran across a Express driver and got talking to him on lunch. I asked him how much they paid him to drag that pup around all day. He said they were just under 28 per hr, 27.80 . Now he didn't look like he was from Harrison so I don't think he would lie to me, for what reason? Now that's more than 2.00 per hour than my center. How can there be that big a difference using the GPD crap they feed us. If you guys can talk to the express guys that pull pup trailers for P&D. Find out what they make in your area, and let us know.THANKS!

Guys need some help here. I ran across a Express driver and got talking to him on lunch. I asked him how much they paid him to drag that pup around all day. He said they were just under 28 per hr, 27.80 . Now he didn't look like he was from Harrison so I don't think he would lie to me, for what reason? Now that's more than 2.00 per hour than my center. How can there be that big a difference using the GPD crap they feed us. If you guys can talk to the express guys that pull pup trailers for P&D. Find out what they make in your area, and let us know.THANKS!
Absolutely true, Filth.

They don't employ a lot of tractor trailer drivers, but... in my area: Freight 23.68 vs Express 25.68. Exactly $2

Absolutely true, Filth.

They don't employ a lot of tractor trailer drivers, but... in my area: Freight 23.68 vs Express 25.68. Exactly $2

I thought at express the drivers make different amounts depending on performance reviews and the like. I could be wrong but that's how I thought it worked.

I thought at express the drivers make different amounts depending on performance reviews and the like. I could be wrong but that's how I thought it worked.
Yes, that is correct. They do have some performance/merit based component (s). Not sure of the details. I quoted top pay only.

Not being ready to let this one go, We need to be aware that much of the competition will be due for their own annual wage increases, coming up in the months ahead. That being the case, there is no way that the centers who are running a current deficit to the competition will ever “catch up” via an annual wage adjustment.

Now then, since I've not been able to compile a complete list of centers and their corresponding GPD (pay scale), and the fact that very few have felt the need to share the specifics per location, we have to presume most are just fine.

That leaves only 5 or 6 (known) locations that clearly need addressed. Proven so, based on Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers, as well as known comparisons on the street.

Since the stated position is that GPD assessments are ongoing at FXFE, it should be easy enough to confirm and correct the error at those 5 or 6 locations.

Now, proving the actual numbers "from the street" may take additional methods, and/or extra effort, but can easily be done.

I don't think it will ever change we had our regional manager in to explain it and when confronted about cost of living his response was he asked where we found our info which we told him, and his reply was "You can find just about anything you want on internet to make it look like our cost of living is higher". I guess all these sites who have cost of living comparisons have something against Fed Ex. :idunno:

and his reply was "You can find just about anything you want on internet to make it look like our cost of living is higher". I guess all these sites who have cost of living comparisons have something against Fed Ex. :idunno:
A simple case of taking a grain of truth and exaggerating to the highest degree.

Can he show even one site that shows Chicago with a lower cost than Charlotte, NC, or Charleston, WV. No he can't.

Can he make Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers show "anything he wants"? I think not.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

Can he show even one site that shows Chicago with a lower cost than Charlotte, NC, or Charleston, WV. No he can't.

Can he make Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers show "anything he wants"? I think not.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

Yeah but the point is he didn't care. I have never seen a company like this all they want to do is pat their selves on the back for fixing their own mistakes. When you bring up facts to back up your argument they just change the subject or dance around it and never answer.