TForce | Our founder J.Harwood Cochrane wanted us to be a family.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
When I hired on with Overnite in the mid 80's,just before he sold the company to Union Pacific Rail Road.
He promoted all of his employees to have an interest in the sucees of Overnite,by working together.
He wanted everyone to feel like they were part of his family.

Only problem is that when we were sold off.
The Rail Road only knowing how to deliver rail head to rail head,and nothing about a more face to face service of dock to door.
It seems all of Mr.J.H.Cochrane's family values went out the window.

They did come back some what when Overnite went public with their stock,and got away from the rail road,

But now that we are a division of UPS it seems like our family is drawing apart once again?

The one thing I want to bring to your attention in this thread is that when we were more like a family,we had no use to be organized by any union.

But when we feel that are family is being threatened,than we are more vulnerable to look for help from those out side of the company.

Our company has gone through many changes,but because of our strong work force of dedicated employees we are still standing tall.
If we choose to remain a family and pull together we will see Leo's vision come to us as our company prospers.
But if we cave into outside forces who knows how we may end up?

Apostolic said:
If we choose to remain a family and pull together we will see Leo's vision come to us as our company prospers.
Apo,
You and about 2 or 3 others who still believe in Leo's vision.

A better way to put your last sentence would be.......If we Unite and join the Teamsters, we'll end up with all the protections and benefits of the National Master Freight Agreement.

Apostolic said:
When I hired on with Overnite in the mid 80's,just before he sold the company to Union Pacific Rail Road.
He promoted all of his employees to have an interest in the sucees of Overnite,by working together.

The Rail Road only knowing how to deliver rail head to rail head,and nothing about a more face to face service of dock to door.

They did come back some what when Overnite went public with their stock,and got away from the rail road,

But now that we are a division of UPS it seems like our family is drawing apart once again?

The one thing I want to bring to your attention in this thread is that when we were more like a family,we had no use to be organized by any union.

But when we feel that are family is being threatened,than we are more vulnerable to look for help from those out side of the company.

Our company has gone through many changes,but because of our strong work force of dedicated employees we are still standing tall.
Your right we went from family-owned to being owned by a COPORATE MONSTER two huge differences. UPSF will succeed non-union or union. Just people are tired of hearing about the vision and not seeing it.

Apostolic said:

Many employee's are wondering how they can spend more time with their real family's rather than spending an extra 3-4 hours per day on the job with out pay. This doe's not seem to bother managment the least!

stldude44 you replied to one of my posts about stewards.

You posted that a union steward would have protected me from the rath of my TM under pressure to make all the daily deiveries regardless of how many drivers had booked off.

When he came down on me for not turing in the job performace he needed from me.
Implying that he may have to fire me.
At the time I was really dumbfounded.
Even though he wrote me up,I feel he wouldn't of fired me,but if he did,I could of asked to go before the companies peer review board.

Looking back at it I can see he had a lot of pressure on him,from his bosses.

I'm sure that the peer review board wouldn't have allowed my termination to stick,as I was only having one bad week out of many good weeks.

When I was a Teamster I had union stewards at the companies I worked at that we'er very useless.
They got their union dues free for representing us when we had a disagreement with any of our supervisors,or the TM.
The ones I delt with didn't do much for the free dues they were getting.

At the end of my Teamster years, a steward with any kind of compassion could of taken care of a disagreement at a company I was about to be hired at,and insted of me giving up my union card,I would of had 30 years union credit,by mid 1997.

I had to deal directly with my local union hall which wouldn't even attempt to help me.
I said you know I'm not able to find work,
I may have to give up my union book.
My local rep.,said sorry about that, we hate to lose a member,but you have to do what you have to do.

And thats the thanks I got for being a dues paying Teamster for 20years.

So I say union,or non-union, if you do a good job,you don't have anything to fear.

Apo,
I didn't say a Union Steward would've protected you, since not many bosses would say that to a good worker while a Steward was there.
What I said was that I wish I would've been your Steward for that day.......because after I had a talk with the boss who told you that, he never would've threatened you again after I pointed out to him that it's not your fault that his bosses were all over him. In fact, I'm sure he would've apologized to you after we talked.

Whoops sorry about that stldude44..

I must be getting sleepy.
I didn't catch your meaning.

Thanks for your understanding,and thanks also for your compassion of others.

If your a steward now,I'm sure your earning your free dues helping your co-workers.

If you were my union steward 20 years ago I wouldn't of had to take a withdrawal,and my life could of been a lot different.

But thats fate,you never know whats around the next curve,or over the next hill?

If I hadn't have had to give up my union card,I wouldn't have met so many nice non-union drivers,and also the good customers that are on my route.

Heres a Bible verse if you care to look up,that tells about things working out no matter what takes place in your life.

(Romans 8:28)

Apo,
Thanks. My Union dues aren't free though. Local 600 never wanted to see a guy run for Steward just to get his Union dues paid.

stldude44 said:
Apo,
Thanks. My Union dues aren't free though. Local 600 never wanted to see a guy run for Steward just to get his Union dues paid.
Free dues are a thing of the past.....way past.
In my 22 years as a Teamster I've never had a Steward that got free dues.

Teamster251 said:
Free dues are a thing of the past.....way past.
In my 22 years as a Teamster I've never had a Steward that got free dues.
I haven't either in my 24 years....but I thought Apo might know something about where he's from that I didn't know.

wassesname said:
i bet leo screwed JH somehow somewhere.
Our Union stewards up to about 5 yrs ago, did get free dues. No longer. And by the way, if you did get a lazy steward, you the workers can always vote him out and elect a new one. Sorry about the misquote wassesname, hit the wrong guy.

My first union company Steward got free dues..

1966.He didn't have to pay his dues.
I worked for this company for 60 days,and was put on the clock.

We had a fork lift that ran on gas.
It was winter and because I was the newbee,I was always sent outside to fill the gas can at our pump.

It was a long time ago,but I still remember,just before I was told by my companys union steward to join the Teamster,or the TM would have to let me go.
I ran into a funny thing going for gas one morning.
The Local union president was filling his car up at our pump.
I didn't think much about it I thought maybe he had something worked out with the TM.
Untill he said to me,if you know whats good for you,you'll keep your mouth shut about this.
When he was done he left.
I filled the can,then headed toward the stairs. there was one of my co-workers watching,and asked what the union guy said.
I told him,and he told me that I should do what he said.
With in a day,or two the steward came and told me to join or leave.
I worked there from 1966 to 1969.

I went to another union company,before I had enough time to go on the clock,I had a real bad accident,and was let go.
I walked into another union company the next day and was there untill they closed their doors in 1986.
The steward we had their paid his dues but was sent a check for them back to him from the union hall,I'm not sure?
I think every three months.
These stewards were voted in by all the workers,when the one before them retired.
Once they were in they were in to stay,untill they left the company,one way or another.

Maybe now days...

but back when I was a Teamster,for some reason the ones I delt with at the union companies I worked,either full time,or as a spare.
These guys had a lock on their jobs from within the local union hall.
The only way anyone could get them out was for the local to remove them.
That would only happen if the local rep.s' got ticked off about something they did,or after enough warnings for something they were doing.

Apostolic said:
1966.He didn't have to pay his dues.
I worked for this company for 60 days,and was put on the clock.

We had a fork lift that ran on gas.
It was winter and because I was the newbee,I was always sent outside to fill the gas can at our pump.

It was a long time ago,but I still remember,just before I was told by my companys union steward to join the Teamster,or the TM would have to let me go.
I ran into a funny thing going for gas one morning.
The Local union president was filling his car up at our pump.
I didn't think much about it I thought maybe he had something worked out with the TM.
Untill he said to me,if you know whats good for you,you'll keep your mouth shut about this.
When he was done he left.
I filled the can,then headed toward the stairs. there was one of my co-workers watching,and asked what the union guy said.
I told him,and he told me that I should do what he said.
With in a day,or two the steward came and told me to join or leave.
I worked there from 1966 to 1969.

I went to another union company,before I had enough time to go on the clock,I had a real bad accident,and was let go.
I walked into another union company the next day and was there untill they closed their doors in 1986.
The steward we had their paid his dues but was sent a check for them back to him from the union hall,I'm not sure?
I think every three months.
These stewards were voted in by all the workers,when the one before them retired.
Once they were in they were in to stay,untill they left the company,one way or another.

Apostolic, there is a BIG difference in the Teamsters of 1966 and the Teamsters of today.
I see your point but I think you're making an apples to oranges comparison.

The type of thing you described would never happen today

CFer said:
Apostolic, there is a BIG difference in the Teamsters of 1966 and the Teamsters of today.
I see your point but I think you're making an apples to oranges comparison.

The type of thing you described would never happen today

CFer it doesn't matter, Apo doesn't trust anyone anyway. He's said it a hundred times in his post. He only trusts God. Man is no good to him. He puts no trust in any man, he's said it before, and again and again.
Not his co-workers, his neighbors, his clergy, his wife, his boss, his kids etc.
He trust no one but God.
I know some teamster leaders think they are God but it doesn't matter Apo won't trust them either.
He's made his point and I believe him.

T251

Teamster251 said:
CFer it doesn't matter, Apo doesn't trust anyone anyway. He's said it a hundred times in his post. He only trusts God. Man is no good to him. He puts no trust in any man, he's said it before, and again and again.
Not his co-workers, his neighbors, his clergy, his wife, his boss, his kids etc.
He trust no one but God.
I know some teamster leaders think they are God but it doesn't matter Apo won't trust them either.
He's made his point and I believe him.

T251

Thats ok T-251. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good.

It's not my intention to convert the anti union folks because they alaready have their minds made up, I just want to make sure the guys that are interested in learning more are able to get the information they need

There is no difference then from now, you know. Just want all money and dues to feed their agenda and give us nothing......LOLOL......Sure is alot of retirees collecting their agenda........But maybe that is like us landing on the moon........Done in a studio?????