out of the way

1%er

TB Lurker
Credits
can some one tell me why we move memphis freight from florida to clt.i thought the shortest distane between two places was a straight line.:smilie_132:

trying to avoid mty miles, just guessing most of the fl frt flows thu atl and clt and all companies run mty out of fl. if you ran direct to mps you would be creating mty miles. atl might be maxed out on mps frt but clt has room for it. i don't work for wilson so all this is speculation

I guess with both ATL and CLT having direct runs to MEM,the freight is sent to the terminal with the best capability to handle it.However,I see your point,considering almost everything north of CLT seems to run through that terminal..

Welocme to the Boards 1%, I have to agree with a9fan. If they didn't send that freight to clt what would them boys do? I'm sure that the Mem. drivers that lay down in Val. wouldn't want to pull it. BigW-RD

Florida freight moves to both ATL and CLT. It could make sense to move it all toward ATL but since CLT is running to Florida full and coming out partial, if not empty, we are trying to fill that schedule. We also have room for TN freight on the CLT to MEM lane. So, it is set up from BRI and MEM to move over CLT to help fill the lanes. ATL is the secondary lane out of FL for BRI and MEM. On the other hand, CTN, KNX, and NAS move over ATL because of different needs.

If the tonnage in the lanes or the balance changes we can easily make a change. There are several different ways to go. The important thing is to service the freight, and we are, and secondly not to create additional empty miles that would drive up the cost.

Hope this makes a little sense.

you left out val term wich has a mem and nash layover that generaly run mty to atl.still dont understand.heres somthing else i dont get load factor . you got 3 trks running 1 mty but you dont factor in the mty on the load average isnt that cheating just to make the numbers look good.

you left out val term wich has a mem and nash layover that generaly run mty to atl.still dont understand.heres somthing else i dont get load factor . you got 3 trks running 1 mty but you dont factor in the mty on the load average isnt that cheating just to make the numbers look good.

Their are terminals that probably "cook the books" by dispatching an MT with a couple of bills on it.If we were a publicly traded company with shareholders,maybe I could understand some of these moves a little better.However,we only have to answer to ourselves and customers as far as I know...

A9faninnc is correct.

We measure both total load factor and laden load factor and we break it down by terminal and by leg. We also break it down by the type of equipment being used. But load factor is one small measurement in the big picutre. We measure our total miles, empty miles, revenue per ton mile, revenue per linehaul mile, bill miles per linehaul mile, and ton miles per linehaul mile. Our most important measurement is ton miles per linehaul mile.