Yellow | Overpaid & Out of Touch

I was President of the Apathy Club in High School. We had 100% membership with zero attendance. It remains the most successful club in the history of my Alma Mater!
It seems that the Int'l Brotherhood of Teamsters fits the mold of being an APATHY CLUB too, with only 16.5% of the active membership voting in the last General Election, A sad, but true, fact.

How did that turn out?

tWI4VuX.jpg

ive been in 5 different locals and none are run the same . some of you act like they are all the same . out of the 5 locals only one was worth a damn and not a total waste of time attending monthly meeting. the other 4 should be shut down and started over again from to to bottom

ive been in 5 different locals and none are run the same . some of you act like they are all the same . out of the 5 locals only one was worth a damn and not a total waste of time attending monthly meeting. the other 4 should be shut down and started over again from to to bottom
You are so right. I was in Local 710 in Chicago for a short time. I went down to the Local to take care of some insurance issues and the place reminded me of a prison complex. I went in the front doors and up a long stairway to a small empty lobby. There was a mean looking woman sitting behind bullet proof glass talking to me through a small round opening in the glass wanting to know my reason for being there. When I told her she refused to let me in through either of the steel doors to enter the office area on either side of the empty lobby area to see anybody. She instead said someone would come out (from behind the steel reinforced doors and bulletproof glass) to talk to me. After a 10 minute wait, another mean looking woman came out with some papers and handed them to me. (no table, no desk, no questions, no explanations) then she disappeared back behind the closed and locked door that I was not allowed to enter. I never was allowed to speak to a BA either in person or on the phone the entire time I was in Chicago and in Local 710. After a few months, I quit the union company I was working at and left Chicago for good. That was probably the smartest thing I ever did. It's true, there ARE some good locals, but 710 is NOT one of them.

When the US Attorney goes to the Grand Jury & returns with indictments in hand & arrest 200 or 300 Teamster Officials across the nation, then I say there is hope. Until then, why are we bothering to talk about it? For it truly is a wasted effort. von.
That is exactly what these corrupt Teamster officials are hoping for and counting on - 80% of Teamster members doing nothing, just like in every General election, even after the truth is out there. Politicians are unlikely to push the issue either unless there is a lot of pressure from Teamster rank and file, dues paying members and retirees. Politicians know these same people (union members, NOT officials) are also voters and likely campaign contributors who WILL NOT be voting for or contributing to them if this corruption and theft of members' money is just "swept under the rug". We HAVE TO keep making noise, writing letters and e-mails to the gov't officials or it WILL BE forgotten. If that happens, then Hoffa, Hall and Nyhan along with their crooked cronies win again and the corruption continues.

Last edited:
You are so right. I was in Local 710 in Chicago for a short time. I went down to the Local to take care of some insurance issues and the place reminded me of a prison complex. I went in the front doors and up a long stairway to a small empty lobby. There was a mean looking woman sitting behind bullet proof glass talking to me through a small round opening in the glass wanting to know my reason for being there. When I told her she refused to let me in through either of the steel doors to enter the office area on either side of the empty lobby area to see anybody. She instead said someone would come out (from behind the steel reinforced doors and bulletproof glass) to talk to me. After a 10 minute wait, another mean looking woman came out with some papers and handed them to me. (no table, no desk, no questions, no explanations) then she disappeared back behind the closed and locked door that I was not allowed to enter. I never was allowed to speak to a BA either in person or on the phone the entire time I was in Chicago and in Local 710. After a few months, I quit the union company I was working at and left Chicago for good. That was probably the smartest thing I ever did. It's true, there ARE some good locals, but 710 is NOT one of them.
I have some questions. You say you were never allowed to speak to a Business Agent, ever? The building you have described is the old 710 hall on Halsted Street. How long ago was this? My membership goes back to Bill Joyce (1988). And I attended many monthly meetings. Did you ever attend a monthly meeting? Who was your employer? Did you ever speak with a steward? Did you inform your steward of the difficulties you encountered? BTW, if your questions were regarding insurance, the women in that department are the ONLY reliable source of information.

To albag - I believe it was in 1991 and I worked for Yellow Frt in Bridgeview. I was always on a 2 hour call or working so I couldn't attend any of the meetings. The attitude and morale at Yellow Frt at the time was bad. I could understand why the people at the hall and the dispatchers at Yellow linehaul all hid behind thick glass and locked doors. Just to prove I WAS there - remember Mary Shaper ?

I have some questions. You say you were never allowed to speak to a Business Agent, ever? The building you have described is the old 710 hall on Halsted Street. How long ago was this? My membership goes back to Bill Joyce (1988). And I attended many monthly meetings. Did you ever attend a monthly meeting? Who was your employer? Did you ever speak with a steward? Did you inform your steward of the difficulties you encountered? BTW, if your questions were regarding insurance, the women in that department are the ONLY reliable source of information.
This the second response to you. The other is #68. Maybe I went to the hall on a bad day. The response I got from both women was very cold, not helpful at all. As for the steward or stewards at Yellow (I assume there was more than one) being a new guy from out of town with "only" 16 years of Teamster time, but none in Local 710, I was not welcome. The tension there at the time was very heavy. You could cut it with a knife. To this day, I don't know why, but there was a lot of animosity between the drivers (line haul vs line haul),(shuttle vs line haul) and (city p&d vs line haul) and also between some of the line haul drivers and dispatch. There definitely was a lot of favoritism and "game playing" going on. As for stewards - that was one question I was going to ask a BA at "Fort Apache" but I was told none were available. I'd have to make an appointment to see one. Being on call 24/7 on the board and being gone on an irregular basis makes "appointments" nearly impossible. I guess I picked the wrong day to ask any questions. After the bad experiences at Yellow and the 710 hall I was happy to see Chicago in my rear view mirror when I got a call from a different Teamster company in a different town.

To albag - One more comment. I later found out something you probably know about that I'm sure Local 710 would like to forget. Sometime before I arrived in Chicago (don't recall the year) a 710 BA or officer shot and killed his own son in the basement of that same Local 710 building. Maybe they should have kept the doors locked that day too.

To albag - One more comment. I later found out something you probably know about that I'm sure Local 710 would like to forget. Sometime before I arrived in Chicago (don't recall the year) a 710 BA or officer shot and killed his own son in the basement of that same Local 710 building. Maybe they should have kept the doors locked that day too.
You have Local 710 confused with Local 705.
http://nlpc.org/1999/12/20/obituary-chicago-boss-daniel-c-ligurotis-sr/
And yes I do remember Mary.

It seems that the Int'l Brotherhood of Teamsters fits the mold of being an APATHY CLUB too, with only 16.5% of the active membership voting in the last General Election, A sad, but true, fact.
Is it really that figure? 5 years back it was 26% showed up. Looks like the majority of Teamsters are happy with what they have. I wonder how big of a cut the rank & file will vote themselves this time? Sheep with no shepherd. Sorry, I am wrong about the sheep. Man & woman lacking vertebrae. von.

Ya forgot to burn it to the ground as you were leaving, doing everyone a big favor. I disavow the previous sentence & anything it might suggest. There are no implied threats, actions, or warranties.

Is it really that figure? 5 years back it was 26% showed up. Looks like the majority of Teamsters are happy with what they have. I wonder how big of a cut the rank & file will vote themselves this time? Sheep with no shepherd. Sorry, I am wrong about the sheep. Man & woman lacking vertebrae. von.

3HpgPOY.jpg