ODFL | Overtime

Reyemon

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anyone heard of od paying overtime in the near future before your 60. Seems like wishfull thinking but heard a few rumors not only in my terminal but from other drivers wanting to work for OD.

It's not a law. It's an exemption to the FLSA. I haven't seen an expiration date on it and I highly doubt this administration will do anything about it either.
Bingo!!! We have a winner .. No way it's changing with Republicans in control. It's not even a blip on the radar right now. It had a little momentum two years ago, but the only way I see it changing now is if FedEx and UPS start making waves about the unfair advantage.

Has anyone heard of od paying overtime in the near future before your 60. Seems like wishfull thinking but heard a few rumors not only in my terminal but from other drivers wanting to work for OD.

It would be nice, but if they did start paying OT after 40 or 8 they would try as hard as they could to limit it as much as possible. More people would be hired, some routes would get a lot of it just by the way they are, but most would be highly monitored, so its a mute point. They are expecting/hoping to have an OR in the 79% range for 2018, they can certainly afford to do it.....

Bingo!!! We have a winner .. No way it's changing with Republicans in control. It's not even a blip on the radar right now. It had a little momentum two years ago, but the only way I see it changing now is if FedEx and UPS start making waves about the unfair advantage.

Goat herders will be exempt, only if they graze the outfield.

Reactions: Ump
With republicans running things ya better prepare for the worst. They're in lockstep with the companies.

Last edited:
If they ever did start paying it those 1.00 raises would turn into 25 cents and everybody would be lucky to get 45 hrs a week.

Always loved that argument from corporate:

-Will the company ever be paying overtime after 40?
-Well, if we were to pay overtime after 40, we'd be sending you home after 39.5.
-Cool, could you please tell dispatch to send me home after 39.5, I am really sick of working 60.
-Well, we are behind and really busy and short on drivers so we need to work everyone as much as we possible can...

Sure, at some barns it might be easy to cut overtime, at others not so much. You are looking at hiring dozens of drivers for some service centers, paying for their benefits, buying dozens of new trucks, and all that to reduce OT and not pay that extra .5 for a few hours a day. Not so easy.

Up here in Washington state where OD forced paying my ot after 40 I got 55 hours last week.
They'll do and pay whatever it takes to get the freight on an OD trailer... We can't find enough drivers to pick up what we've got now.. We need to hire 20 city guys to cover the 20 city guys that want to go line haul. Can't find them anywhere!!