ABF | Overtime

Roundbelly

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a question I hope maybe someone can answer. I took the opening bid for our terminal after 28 years of being on closing bids.my question is I come in and break freight and then peddle local and want to work only what they can make me for overtime but they tell me I have to work at least 10 before I can go even if the clean up bids only work 8 hours.our ba is new and has no idea what the answer is. I find it hard to believe a 10 percent with 2 months in should be going home or even working less hours than me. Thanks

I used to have a 1400 bid @ 050 an end of the line terminal. The 1400 bid was the last bid of the day. On Friday those on that bid had to stay until the work was finished. Also, the contract states the second to last bid had to stay until the work is finished. That bid time was 1100. So on Friday night we stayed until the work was finished, & sometimes we went home as the sun came up over the horizon. The latest we ever clocked out was 0700. BUT the 1100 bid people did not have to stay. Even though the contract says they have to, our BA said it was too long to be on the clock. Did that for 18 years. No complaints, just showing you how some things were enforced, & others not. We could have filed on it, but we would lose it. As a wise old BA once said, don’t sweat the little infractions, for when a serious problem comes up, you do not want to be remembered for all the little stuff you filed on it. Is it fair. No. But that is how the ball bounces. Von.
I have a question I hope maybe someone can answer. I took the opening bid for our terminal after 28 years of being on closing bids.my question is I come in and break freight and then peddle local and want to work only what they can make me for overtime but they tell me I have to work at least 10 before I can go even if the clean up bids only work 8 hours.our ba is new and has no idea what the answer is. I find it hard to believe a 10 percent with 2 months in should be going home or even working less hours than me. Thanks

Maybe related. I had a 1530 drive bid. If I ran out of driving before my shift ended I went up to the dock WITH my seniority. That rule had been round for a long time. So when they needed people in the yard they would ask by seniority & I would usually pass. This forced junior guys to the yard & they were not happy. One night they tried to force me out by telling dispatch I don’t count as a dock person. Dispatch said I had to go, & I refused. I went off the deep end & told him they would have to fire me for refusing an order. And I would prove the next day my fellow Teamster brother & sister were wrong. He was surprised as to how far I was willing to go. I said since this is a Seniority issue why not force everybody to the yard except for 2 people on the dock to close the doors. He did. And from then on they kept 2 on the dock & the rest went to the yard. Funny thing, things went much faster with all the dock people in the yard & we shaved an hour off our work time. The next day our Steward (a very fair man) said I was right. They weren’t satisfied, so they called the BA. He came over & told them I was right, the long standing rule stayed the same. The whole argument was I drove all night, was forced to the dock by the rules & then forced a junior driver to the yard while I stayed on the dock dry & not wet, especially when it rained or snowed. A few didn’t like that. So I told them they would do the same thing if they had a chance. They didn’t like that part of the conversation. Von.

I used to have a 1400 bid @ 050 an end of the line terminal. The 1400 bid was the last bid of the day. On Friday those on that bid had to stay until the work was finished. Also, the contract states the second to last bid had to stay until the work is finished. That bid time was 1100. So on Friday night we stayed until the work was finished, & sometimes we went home as the sun came up over the horizon. The latest we ever clocked out was 0700. BUT the 1100 bid people did not have to stay. Even though the contract says they have to, our BA said it was too long to be on the clock. Did that for 18 years. No complaints, just showing you how some things were enforced, & others not. We could have filed on it, but we would lose it. As a wise old BA once said, don’t sweat the little infractions, for when a serious problem comes up, you do not want to be remembered for all the little stuff you filed on it. Is it fair. No. But that is how the ball bounces. Von.

Maybe related. I had a 1530 drive bid. If I ran out of driving before my shift ended I went up to the dock WITH my seniority. That rule had been round for a long time. So when they needed people in the yard they would ask by seniority & I would usually pass. This forced junior guys to the yard & they were not happy. One night they tried to force me out by telling dispatch I don’t count as a dock person. Dispatch said I had to go, & I refused. I went off the deep end & told him they would have to fire me for refusing an order. And I would prove the next day my fellow Teamster brother & sister were wrong. He was surprised as to how far I was willing to go. I said since this is a Seniority issue why not force everybody to the yard except for 2 people on the dock to close the doors. He did. And from then on they kept 2 on the dock & the rest went to the yard. Funny thing, things went much faster with all the dock people in the yard & we shaved an hour off our work time. The next day our Steward (a very fair man) said I was right. They weren’t satisfied, so they called the BA. He came over & told them I was right, the long standing rule stayed the same. The whole argument was I drove all night, was forced to the dock by the rules & then forced a junior driver to the yard while I stayed on the dock dry & not wet, especially when it rained or snowed. A few didn’t like that. So I told them they would do the same thing if they had a chance. They didn’t like that part of the conversation. Von.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. I don't get to excited about much more curious than anything.my thoughts are i will work 10 or more as long as they put in 10 or more not me working 10 plus so they can go home in 8.I think that's more than fair.

Tell them you want to bump him & you go home. If they continue to work you 10 hours file a grievance for excessive overtime....

Tell them you want to bump him & you go home. If they continue to work you 10 hours file a grievance for excessive overtime....
Thanks that's what I was thinking but wanted a few opinions. Years ago we use to get a contract book know they seem to not want us to know or do anything for us.

Holy cow von! Stuff like that makes me wanna come out of retirement and work at 050! Your Shop Steward and BA took the seniority issue seriously...as it should be! My seniority was deficated on almost daily. Junior guys getting in-town routes and returning to the terminal earlier than me, then going home while I’m still out on my 200+-mile route, leaving me alone to do the outbound dock. My ‘shop steward’ (Non-caps and quote marks intentional) couldn’t have cared less and refused to advance a grievance on the issue. BA was ‘meh’ on the issue as well.

Holy cow von! Stuff like that makes me wanna come out of retirement and work at 050! Your Shop Steward and BA took the seniority issue seriously...as it should be! My seniority was deficated on almost daily. Junior guys getting in-town routes and returning to the terminal earlier than me, then going home while I’m still out on my 200+-mile route, leaving me alone to do the outbound dock. My ‘shop steward’ (Non-caps and quote marks intentional) couldn’t have cared less and refused to advance a grievance on the issue. BA was ‘meh’ on the issue as well.
And the 'shop steward' at my barn can't understand why we want an election to vote his "WAYS" OUT. What am I doing wrong he says with puppy dog eyes??? So in 7 days it will be he's out and the new ones will take over, glad we can vote on who is elected instead of a hall appointment

If the company has you..."consistently" ....working more than 10 hours a day,.....you can file a grievance. The operative word is "consistently".....
As usual,....both the company and most Union reps. are bemused by an employee's distaste for overtime......They act like it's some sort of bonus....

My Opinion:.....Overtime is a penalty an employer pays for mis-managing it's staffing,...and keeping your CDL license at risk longer than eight hours.

If you are one of the guys who regard overtime as a..."bonus".....you are in the wrong job and you are not getting enough money,.....so you have to "cash in" your family..(..or sleep..)...time to meet your living expenses.....

Out of all laboring employees in the United States,..our Hours of Service are monitored heavily,...like pilots or train engineers.
Always think of the newspaper headlines in the event of the unthinkable.....

"FATIGUED DRIVER CAUSES FATALITY" .........if you are on your 13th hour out of 14....

Do you think your employer would try to weasel out of....any liability...by saying you should have "known better"?

Brother,....You know my Opinion on shop stewards. They should be the one who understands the contract AND the INTENT of the contract the best.
Not the guy who has the Loudest Voice,...or the Outhouse Lawyer who can decide all grievances out in the parking lot,....but has problems looking the TM in the eye......

Especially NOT the guy who is social "buddies" with the TM...........He is too stupid to realize he's being used......

You can have a friendly working relationship with management....AS LONG as you are able to strongly disagree....and file grievances....and advocate for your members..........WITHOUT worrying whether you've "hurt" the TM's feelings.....

....(....for everyone's future references......All management have their "feelings"...surgically removed....)...

Your best steward is the guy who has actually READ the contract.......

I admit to not going to the yard when it was wet outside. A fair weather driver I am. But, the main reason I forced others to the dock when I could was because (Indy 050) had very poor lighting. And it was dangerous to be on the ground anywhere in the yard with the yard horse & city tractors speeding to get the job done, especially when closing the barn on Friday nights. And poor visibility could get you killed. I know of 4 deaths in Indy LTL operations from 1998 to 2017. We @ ABF were lucky. We had none. 1 forklift driven off the dock & the straight truck driver failed to set the emergency brake and it rolled & hit a car. All the same incident. Wheel chocks were there but he failed to use them. And Jim Simpson our yard man for years was good, & very fast. He could do the work of 3. But you had to be alert, he drove like AJ Foyt. Fast. Ya all know how easy it is to get hurt or dead in the yard. In 2014 they finally spent 20 grand & put up good lighting. To this day my 18 years of work @ ABF was the best job I ever had. But why did it take so long? Money. 'I prefer to be late & alive, than early & dead'. Just saying. von.

Last edited:
If the company has you..."consistently" ....working more than 10 hours a day,.....you can file a grievance. The operative word is "consistently".....
As usual,....both the company and most Union reps. are bemused by an employee's distaste for overtime......They act like it's some sort of bonus....

My Opinion:.....Overtime is a penalty an employer pays for mis-managing it's staffing,...and keeping your CDL license at risk longer than eight hours.

If you are one of the guys who regard overtime as a..."bonus".....you are in the wrong job and you are not getting enough money,.....so you have to "cash in" your family..(..or sleep..)...time to meet your living expenses.....

Out of all laboring employees in the United States,..our Hours of Service are monitored heavily,...like pilots or train engineers.
Always think of the newspaper headlines in the event of the unthinkable.....

"FATIGUED DRIVER CAUSES FATALITY" .........if you are on your 13th hour out of 14....

Do you think your employer would try to weasel out of....any liability...by saying you should have "known better"?
Thanks I started the bid a week before thanksgiving and have worked 10 every day. I go home when I can using my can't go out after 10 rule. I will work 10 every day if that's what it takes to service customers.my beef is we have 2 closing bids start after me and work a lot of 8 hour days and me 10 every day. Granted some nights they have to work more but for 28 years in the freight I worked tons of long hours.it just works on a guy when a 10 percent er with 28 days in works 8 and scate and I am at 10 every day.

Brother,....You know my Opinion on shop stewards. They should be the one who understands the contract AND the INTENT of the contract the best.
Not the guy who has the Loudest Voice,...or the Outhouse Lawyer who can decide all grievances out in the parking lot,....but has problems looking the TM in the eye......

Especially NOT the guy who is social "buddies" with the TM...........He is too stupid to realize he's being used......

You can have a friendly working relationship with management....AS LONG as you are able to strongly disagree....and file grievances....and advocate for your members..........WITHOUT worrying whether you've "hurt" the TM's feelings.....

....(....for everyone's future references......All management have their "feelings"...surgically removed....)...

Your best steward is the guy who has actually READ the contract.......
I absolutely DO know your opinion on Shop Stewards! If I didn’t before, I certainly would after reading your post.

My former ‘shop steward’ is/was exactly how you described....in MAJOR cahoots with the TM....’buddy-buddy’ with ‘just enough’ of the guys so as to avoid any future opposition to his.....position. And to even bring up the idea of an election would be roughly a form of ‘career *******’ at my old terminal. You see, this guy LOVES power! He also assigned the routes, and it was clear who his...friends...were. Again....power!

I haven’t seen him since I retired. But...I will. One....glorious....day!!! He’ll get it from me, with both barrels. One....glorious....day!!!

Thanks I started the bid a week before thanksgiving and have worked 10 every day. I go home when I can using my can't go out after 10 rule. I will work 10 every day if that's what it takes to service customers.my beef is we have 2 closing bids start after me and work a lot of 8 hour days and me 10 every day. Granted some nights they have to work more but for 28 years in the freight I worked tons of long hours.it just works on a guy when a 10 percent er with 28 days in works 8 and scate and I am at 10 every day.
I feel for you, brother! I saw this happen on just about a daily basis.