(Overton, Neb.)- Not So Swift Semi Crosses Median Headon with Car Killed 2 People

Any truck crash is horrible no matter what company was involved. Sad truth is Swift has 43 or 44 fatal crashes in last 24 months. Not to mention all the accidents/injuries they have caused everyday of the week, making bonehead moves.
I guess it's cheaper having all the high speed attorneys, defending lawsuits, paying out multi million dollar judgments, etc., than it is to hire safe experienced drivers.
Keeping the revolving labor mill going must be cheaper as they are the largest TL carrier in the country.
Nothing but profits off the backs of desperate, inexperienced drivers, and those unlucky enough to get in their way. As long as Jerry has been in charge its SOP. Always has been always will.

Swift does have a small percentage of drivers who are experienced and skilled, but that's just not the way this company makes their money, or has gotten their reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is clear that the trucker is at fault according to this report.
Perhaps sleep was the culprit as it is in many trucking crashes,when it is determined the trucker was to blame.

In my opinion the DOT should have never altered the hours of service.
I may be way off base on this issue.
However I feel the old hours of service system, where you could pull over for a power nap,was much safer.

Perhaps sleep was the culprit as it is in many trucking crashes,when it is determined the trucker was to blame.

However I feel the old hours of service system, where you could pull over for a power nap,was much safer.

I guess this is what we get when the Government lets Mother's Against Tired Truck Driver's write the rules for "OUR INDUSTRY". All because the Walmart Owner Operator in Maine, with two log books killed six teenagers.

My opinion
:shift:...we need the I.C.C and Regulation again!!!!!!

I guess this is what we get when the Government lets Mother's Against Tired Truck Driver's write the rules for "OUR INDUSTRY". All because the Walmart Owner Operator in Maine, with two log books killed six teenagers.

My opinion
:shift:...we need the I.C.C and Regulation again!!!!!!

Absolutely.

The issue I have with the hours of service is first off, you have people who do not do this job deciding how it should be done. Then you have industry shipper groups pushing the trucking companies for totally unreasonable delivery windows to work under the system as it is now. No one has ever been able to explain why a road driver should not be paid OT. And yes, A, you are correct, an hour power nap will do wonders for a driver anytime of day, but again the shippers and consignees hang late for appointment penalties on the shippers, who in turn lay it on the trucking company, who in turn lay it on you know who. Why not go around the country and select drivers from all different types of trucking companies, and bring them to Washington during the hearings and get their input? I know. I know. Stop making sense.

Biggest issue I see with shippers now days is very few hold inventories like back in the day.
So of course they all want their deliveries to arrive when needed, to generate their profits.