SEFL | P@D during Fay!!!

Girn

TB Lurker
Credits
Went out with 17 unconfirmed deliveries today, during tropical storm fay. Brought back 13 due to customers closed due to state of emergency. I work out of WPB and I was not the only route to bring back more than 3\4 of the deliveries on the given routes. Miami, and TAMPA, had a 100% delivery rate, while we had a 75% of non delivered shipments. Why? Miami, and Tampa brought in extra personnel and other associates to call all customers that were due to receive shipments today asking if they would be there to accept all deliveries destined to them. Any consignee that would not be there to accept freight, that shipment was removed b4 the trailer left the dock. But at WPB, it was business as usual, stuff and ship. Why? Us drivers are asking the same questions???? Instead of sending out the fewest amount of trailers with confirmed acceptance of deliveries, they hope for a 4th quarter hail mary throw to the end zone with the receiver covered by 18 opponents. Many many drivers called in and asked for the day off knowing that the reality of costing out for that route was futile. Asking to be OFF, TO SAVE OUR COMPANY LABOR AND FUEL EXPENDITURES only to be met with "your paid to drive not to think!!!!". Well as predicted us drivers were right. Instead of saving fuel and labor costs on freight that would just go for a ride, it was sent out on a wasteful trip that did not need to be. Communication that was displayed by the other 2 terminals is all that was needed. Instead our leadership displayed ignorance and wastefulness on a company wide platform not a terminal platform. Caching caching!!!!!! Remember to shut down your tractor at every stop never mind that that 15 mile drive to that residential that is only a phone call away to confirm if they will be there to accept, or not be not be there. This is trying to cut overhead???????

Your not the only ones that do this crazy stuff i do know they will be answering to someone at corporate. Next time theres a situation like this they might open their eyes and ears and not waste time and money.

sabersfan and top flight, thanks for your replies. I know from both of your responses that you understand that I am not disgruntled at our company, just the lack of concern for our drivers and the company as a whole that the WPB leadership failed to take into consideration. Communication is our biggest attribute, why is this fact, and process of communication made so hard to follow thru with? The more information one has, the more options one has to develop a plan for execution to terminate a situation in a favorable outcome. leadership needs to share all information that can help the company as a whole , not for individual but for the whole. Are we not a team????????????????

Good lord...it would have made more sense to park the trucks..how do you deliver the guys freight in front of the trailer when all that behind you could not unload...kinda sad it is all just a numbers game anymore Be careful out there...sounds like it is gonna be a yucky one thru sunday...

What I hear is you don't want to work but you want all customer service reps to call all estimated 300+ customers so you can stay home? And you want them to accomplish this by 9:00 am? ******SELFISHNESS AT IT'S BEST*****

Letmeknow you are truly a ignorant and selfcentered entity. You are management because you TOTALY MISSED the point of my communcation as usual. Once you comphehend and process my issue and respond in a NON CHILD LIKE demeanor and knowledgebase, then we can can move foward to see terms in an adult manner based on experience and practice, not based on a pamphlet massed produced as a addemmun to a issue that may arise after your graduation from associats junior collage.

Went out with 17 unconfirmed deliveries today, during tropical storm fay. Brought back 13 due to customers closed due to state of emergency. I work out of WPB and I was not the only route to bring back more than 3\4 of the deliveries on the given routes. Miami, and TAMPA, had a 100% delivery rate, while we had a 75% of non delivered shipments. Why? Miami, and Tampa brought in extra personnel and other associates to call all customers that were due to receive shipments today asking if they would be there to accept all deliveries destined to them. Any consignee that would not be there to accept freight, that shipment was removed b4 the trailer left the dock. But at WPB, it was business as usual, stuff and ship. Why? Us drivers are asking the same questions???? Instead of sending out the fewest amount of trailers with confirmed acceptance of deliveries, they hope for a 4th quarter hail mary throw to the end zone with the receiver covered by 18 opponents. Many many drivers called in and asked for the day off knowing that the reality of costing out for that route was futile. Asking to be OFF, TO SAVE OUR COMPANY LABOR AND FUEL EXPENDITURES only to be met with "your paid to drive not to think!!!!". Well as predicted us drivers were right. Instead of saving fuel and labor costs on freight that would just go for a ride, it was sent out on a wasteful trip that did not need to be. Communication that was displayed by the other 2 terminals is all that was needed. Instead our leadership displayed ignorance and wastefulness on a company wide platform not a terminal platform. Caching caching!!!!!! Remember to shut down your tractor at every stop never mind that that 15 mile drive to that residential that is only a phone call away to confirm if they will be there to accept, or not be not be there. This is trying to cut overhead???????

I know the decision to run LH into that area was up in the air until the last minute. I thought the big rain didnt really hit until half way through the day. I bet a lot of customers didn't know until the day went on if they were going to stay or not. Fort Meyers i think shut down from the very start, bu that is where the storm was predicted. Hard call I think. Isnt the real story a safety one? I'm not that concerned if mgt made the right decision or not about to put you on the road with people that might decide to close. I am thinking that if streets were flooded out enough for customers to close, why were we there trying to deliver?

Doesnt W Palm have a Safteyman? What was he doing. Isn't that his job? If something wasnt safe (streets were flooded), why wasnt the saftey guy involved? That wouldnt happen where I am from. Maybe there are more facts but what I am used to is either the Safteyman or the terminal saftey team talking to the saftery man and then relaying the info to mgt so there are no communication gaps. I have a great safteyman that would have stood up for us if there was an unsafe situation. Thats why the terminal saftey guys are not in management....so they are not cowards and will not give into pressure from management

I know the decision to run LH into that area was up in the air until the last minute. I thought the big rain didnt really hit until half way through the day. I bet a lot of customers didn't know until the day went on if they were going to stay or not. Fort Meyers i think shut down from the very start, bu that is where the storm was predicted. Hard call I think. Isnt the real story a safety one? I'm not that concerned if mgt made the right decision or not about to put you on the road with people that might decide to close. I am thinking that if streets were flooded out enough for customers to close, why were we there trying to deliver?

Doesnt W Palm have a Safteyman? What was he doing. Isn't that his job? If something wasnt safe (streets were flooded), why wasnt the saftey guy involved? That wouldnt happen where I am from. Maybe there are more facts but what I am used to is either the Safteyman or the terminal saftey team talking to the saftery man and then relaying the info to mgt so there are no communication gaps. I have a great safteyman that would have stood up for us if there was an unsafe situation. Thats why the terminal saftey guys are not in management....so they are not cowards and will not give into pressure from management

Numbers fithwheelga numbers. Our safty officer called the leadership in the predawn hours to give the thumbs down on having p@d deliveries started. He was met with resistance from leadership from the start!! He then went onto his superior in saftey dept. and was told it was upto leadership of the terminal wheather his reconmondation would be accepted or rejected. We all know the rest. The ones who make the determination are in their office with dry feat and a newspaper in front of them full of funnies.

I thought the safteymen had direct lines to the top. Are you telling me the Safteyman said no, that it was "unsafe to drive" and local mgt put drivers on the street anyway? That seems really odd and wouldnt happen either of the two terminals I've been. They must not have ANY faith in your saftey guy's opinion. If I were him, I'd resign from the saftey position tomorrow.

Numbers fithwheelga numbers. Our safty officer called the leadership in the predawn hours to give the thumbs down on having p@d deliveries started. He was met with resistance from leadership from the start!! He then went onto his superior in saftey dept. and was told it was upto leadership of the terminal wheather his reconmondation would be accepted or rejected. We all know the rest. The ones who make the determination are in their office with dry feat and a newspaper in front of them full of funnies.

Nevermind on the last post. After re-reading it I am thinking to myself if you know all this info about the "pre-dawn decision making" it must have come from the Safteyman himself. If he has told all the drivers that he was in favor of shutting down but was overruled thats not good. That would be like stirrring the pot for the sake of getting everyone worked up. You have to think the suits in Columbia read this site, right? I'd hate to be your safety guy right now if he has stirred up this can of worms. He may not get a chance to resign. Does a safteyman keep his senority if he gets bumped to P and D?

What I hear is you don't want to work but you want all customer service reps to call all estimated 300+ customers so you can stay home? And you want them to accomplish this by 9:00 am? ******SELFISHNESS AT IT'S BEST*****

tell tobin at corporate that I call in for hurricanes and tropical storms, and while you are there tell him i call in on fridays so i can go fishing or maybe take a cruise on my bike, people with your attitude are the ones who gets us fired up.

Nevermind on the last post. After re-reading it I am thinking to myself if you know all this info about the "pre-dawn decision making" it must have come from the Safteyman himself. If he has told all the drivers that he was in favor of shutting down but was overruled thats not good. That would be like stirrring the pot for the sake of getting everyone worked up. You have to think the suits in Columbia read this site, right? I'd hate to be your safety guy right now if he has stirred up this can of worms. He may not get a chance to resign. Does a safteyman keep his senority if he gets bumped to P and D?

It is not the safety department that has the final say in a situation such as this, although one would think it should be. It is leadership. leadership weighs the monetary pro's and con's of whether they deliver or not. the safety team's recommendation is just one of many variable's they take into account when determining their decision. Safety and customer service are non revenue generating dept's so their input is minute to say the least. P @ D are the bread and butter of this company so their influence is everything. The dollar determines the outcome regardless of safety and common sense.