FedEx Freight | P&D entails?

tWKFneW.jpg
Check out sign on bonus.

OT after 8 has become a surprisingly hot topic. I do know that FedEx is the only one that offers it on a national scale without a contract, and getting that OT matters to people coming from the regular world where people paid by the hour get OT after 8. And a lot of drivers get OT these days.

Holland, New Penn Motor Express and Reddaway all share much of their compensation and benefits package with YRC, as you might imagine, so naturally they get it as well.

So if you count the same-contract nature of the YRC regionals as just a blanket YRC (there's scuttlebutt going around right now that the regionals might get folded in, and the union isn't saying no, so it's not unrealistic to do so) there's really just over a handful of carriers that offer it at all. When you consider, for example, how big OD and Estes are compared to who offers OT after 8, it raises questions.
Oh I agree. OT is/was a consideration for me, too. I know when we were deep into the Union debate, AND the GPD analysis, I ran the numbers. At the time, with O.D.'s higher pay (no OT), the break even point was 45 hours. Less than 45 they'd make more, over 45 we'd make more. I've not checked into it recently, but I'd assume the situation is still very similar. Since we almost always work more than 45, it's a no brainer.

OT after 8 per day is nice, but in practice it usually has no effect other than keeping them honest. I do remember before the “after 8” was added, one might work 13 hours one day only to be cut short the next. That was rare, as is the occasion where you might miss a day or two, sacrificing what OT you had already worked. It's one of those things that sounds huge, but only rarely has any effect, IMHO.

I agree but...the GPD is only one of several variables as to why some locations may have trouble filling openings but is it the “deal breaker”, I doubt it.

You’re just not gonna lure good qualified drivers away from other companies which leaves us with those who’ve recently been terminated (or left for whatever reason) or greenhorns...and since there’s no abundance of greenhorns, we’re left with what we can get...either way, our starting wages (along with our total benefit pkgs) are comparable, even in the lowest GPD areas, which brings us back to the possibility of OT which directly effects one’s potential wage rate.

I can tell you with certainty it’s one of the main reasons I left Wilson for AF...because they offered OT!!

I hope I didn't lead anyone to believe that I don't consider the whole package, including OT. I do, and I did when I came here. I applied at 4 carriers. Roadway could only offer “casual” (at the time) which was nonsense since I already had a full time job. SAIA was too slow to call. AF and Conway were both quick to call. I considered the OT equation, even though it was only after 48 back then (?). Regardless, the OT at AF trumped Conway's slightly higher rate.

Currently, people SHOULD look at the benefits. Example: The vacation rate, for all drivers at FedEx is better than the competition. That's a big deal. Effective date on insurance, for a new hire, is also better than any of my previous employers.

I only mention the GPD since I'm only rarely seeing us hiring drivers from higher paid competitors. Of the very few we snag (locally), NONE I've spoken to cited OT as the reason. :idunno:

Case in point!

Direct deposit and our (unimpressive) stock purchase plan ARE listed. Neither are that big of a deal, in today's word, IMHO.

Curiously absent from the advertised list: OVERTIME, Superior vacation benefit, and insurance activation timeline...

:scratchhead:
How soon is a new hire eligible for health insurance?

Mgmt is putting more value on a new hire then they are on a long timer. Kinda sad but this is what the industry is coming too. If they expect an influx of newbies the company might want to improve the apprentice program. just my 2 cents

Case in point!

Direct deposit and our (unimpressive) stock purchase plan ARE listed. Neither are that big of a deal, in today's word, IMHO.

Curiously absent from the advertised list: OVERTIME, Superior vacation benefit, and insurance activation timeline...

:scratchhead:
Agreed. FedEx needs to start offering stock purchase at a DISCOUNT. Give a 10% discount and I'll sign up.

Bought all of mine @ American Freightways
I seem to recall there being 6 month purchase plans, with us getting the cheaper price- start date price vs end date price. PLUS there was a discount. Was it 10% or 15% discount on top of that? I don't recall. Either way, THAT was a significant benefit, far better than the simple no brokerage fee plan we have today.

I seem to recall there being 6 month purchase plans, with us getting the cheaper price- start date price vs end date price. PLUS there was a discount. Was it 10% or 15% discount on top of that? I don't recall. Either way, THAT was a significant benefit, far better than the simple no brokerage fee plan we have today.
That's probably right. Most companies that offered such a benefit had similar offerings. If I had to guess they probably ended it shortly after the "Great Recession" started.

FedEx is up about 16% since last year. A good investment had one been on the stock purchase plan but not nearly as good as had it been offered at a discount. I'm sure many stocks are up just as much, if not more, than that since a year ago.

Took a hit in mid-June. Wonder what that was about?