ODFL | P&D Job Duties

• Thread starter Deleted member 40094
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40094

What is a typical route like for an OD P&D driver? Percentage of dock-to-dock vs. lift gate and pallet jack deliveries, for instance. Is there a lot of heavy lifting and hand carrying or is it mostly pulling pallets? More residential or commercial, etc.?

What is a typical route like for an OD P&D driver? Percentage of dock-to-dock vs. lift gate and pallet jack deliveries, for instance. Is there a lot of heavy lifting and hand carrying or is it mostly pulling pallets? More residential or commercial, etc.?
This is a very broad question.Has a city driver for 13 years now I have to deal with everything you have asked.I have to deal with a lot of things.Last week unloading a 2500 pound long skid with no dock and only one pallet jack that could not handle it.Well,you have to think out of the box and do the best you can with what you have.I have my day's for sure.I think a lot depends on terminal you are looking at.Every Area is different for sure.

Last week unloading a 2500 pound long skid with no dock and only one pallet jack that could not handle it.

I applied for linehaul, had an interview, and was offered a P&D position. I still have to go through all the checks. The more I read about P&D, the more I worry I won't be able to handle the lifting. If I back out now on P&D I'm screwed on linehaul in the future, I presume. If I accept P&D I could be setting myself up to fail.

I applied for linehaul, had an interview, and was offered a P&D position. I still have to go through all the checks. The more I read about P&D, the more I worry I won't be able to handle the lifting. If I back out now on P&D I'm screwed on linehaul in the future, I presume. If I accept P&D I could be setting myself up to fail.
You don’t mention your age or present physical condition. The older you are, the more careful you have to be. I don’t lift ANYTHING if it’s odd-shaped, or half my weight (170 pounds) without using a piece of equipment. I’ve been doing this type of work for 30 years now and absolutely will not risk getting hurt trying to be a ‘hero’. Like kenneth said, you have to work outside of the box sometimes. Work smarter, not harder. Best of luck to you! Let us know what happens!

I enjoy may routes and my customers.People will help and all you have to do is ask.Don't try to be the Super City Driver like the young kids are.I do my job and do it the smart way.Good Luck in your situation and hoping the best."God Is Alive and Well"

I'm 45 and skinny. I drive a straight truck now and do the inside delivery, pallet jack, liftgate kind of stuff but nothing major like rolling 55 gallon drums and pulling 2500 pound skids. I've had to ask for customer help quite a bit where more normal-size guys wouldn't need to.

I felt stuck. Was called in for the interview thinking it was linehaul but all those positions had been filled. When he offered P&D it was like, "Oh, ****"

I actually met with a personal trainer today and it gave me some hope. I'd have about 10 weeks from now before I was out solo P&D.

I sometimes hope the background check pulls up dirty and the offer gets rescinded. Pathetic, hey?

I'm 45 and skinny. I drive a straight truck now and do the inside delivery, pallet jack, liftgate kind of stuff but nothing major like rolling 55 gallon drums and pulling 2500 pound skids. I've had to ask for customer help quite a bit where more normal-size guys wouldn't need to.

I felt stuck. Was called in for the interview thinking it was linehaul but all those positions had been filled. When he offered P&D it was like, "Oh, ****"

I actually met with a personal trainer today and it gave me some hope. I'd have about 10 weeks from now before I was out solo P&D.

I sometimes hope the background check pulls up dirty and the offer gets rescinded. Pathetic, hey?
You will be great.I'm 49 and fat and out of shape and I'm still kicking.:1036316054:

Listen, I totally agree with other’s that have replied to your question. Safety is a big concern at OD. I was P&D a year at one terminal and a year at this terminal. Think it through. You are not expected to be Superman. You’ll have your regular stops, but everyday you will be faced with new challenges. Freight comes in different shapes, weight, and sizes. Improvise, and always ask for help. Just be safe.

Sounds like you already know the drill. You probably won’t run into anything that you haven’t already seen. Just be safe.