TForce | p&d or road

ltl driver

TB Lurker
Credits
I know this subject has been discussed before, but I am looking to switch from p&d to road. I've heard what road drivers have to put up with. I just don't want to make the decision based on the few road drivers I've talked to. I hear contradicting opinions and just want to know from you guys... thanks.

Can you stay awake with night driving? If you have a family, will they adapt to your new off schedule hours? either you are cut out for it or you are not. It is a different life style. No hard work involved, Plenty of stress to go around with winter driving. Good money. You don't deal with managment to often. You know the delay issues. Soon to change! Starting at the bottom you deal with whats available. For me I like to be alone and not bother with managment or people. P&D is not for me. Is line haul for you? Drive all night and sleep all day. Sleep on Saturdays or be a zombie while your family wants to do things. These are all questions you have to ask your self.

One more thing to keep in mind. don't expect an 8 hour night even if the milage works out to that. With traffic, Weather, Accidents, Construction, Dispatchers, Drop & hooks, and Freight delays you can expect an average of a 10 hour work night. Maybe more or maybe less but most likely more.

I can give a little insight to the family side of it. In the past my husband was running a Harrisburg, Fontana out of Memphis (we live 3 hours away in KY). It was hard since we have a farm and raise horses. He left on Sunday afternoons and got home who knows when on Friday's (usually that night). Sure good money BUT with our son now in the Navy, all yard work was left for me to do during the week, because I wanted the weekends to spend with him. We also do a lot of hunting and fishing when possible. Friday nights he would stay up late to wind down. Saturday and Sunday mornings I tried to keep the phones quiet so he could sleep in. We might actually have gotten to sit down to one meal together over the weekend. Now he runs a Gaffney-Salt Lake. He is home early Thursday mornings and doesn't leave out until Sunday. Life is much better. Another thing you need to thing about. CAN YOU LAY DOWN AND GET A RESTFUL SLEEP WITH YOUR PARTNER DRIVING!!! That is one of the biggest. You have to be able to trust your partner's driving or you will never get a restful night of sleep.

Buster hit the nail on the head, I went from city to road twice, I love the road, dont have to deal with people, not much traffic.I'm a nite owl anyway, never liked to get up by an alarm clock, if your one of those people who jump rite out of bed in the AM, road driving,day sleeping wouldnt be your thing.and depending on what type of run you get,10.5-11 hour days are the norm!

I'm going on 44 years working P&D.

For what its worth,my opinion on this topic.

Over my long trucking carrer I've had a handful of road runs taking hours at the destination terminal than returning home.

Most road runs,not sleeper are turn arounds now days with the new hours of service.

I had many chances to give up the joys of playing in city traffic,lifting heavy freight,at house deliveries,long walks on inside shopping mall deliveries,dealing with customers with many mental levels,as well as my TM, inbound,and outbound supervisors.

But my biggest thing that I really hate,living in upstate New York is the winter night snow storms.

If I lived some place that I didn't have to drive in any winter snow storms,I'd have been a road driver many years ago.

Seeing I grew up here,this is where I'll stay,than P&D is what works the best for me.

thank you for the replys but my main concern is about the money. i know the p&d guys at my terminal dont make as much as the road driver is that the rule or the exception?

LTL Road drivers always make more than P&D

But if you figure out the hours they put in,and all the hassels involved,they deserve every cent they'er paid.
I made around $60,000.00 last year with a lot of O.T.,but I'm number two in senority at my terminal.
I know one of our road drivers that does a turn around run,with no layovers,made over $80,000.00 last year.
He just does trailer drop,and hooks,and drives,all night work.

I have a lot of fingure print freight to handle,but I work days,and get to sleep at night.
I like what I do,he's always liked his way.

I say God bless you,whatever your happy with.

Unless we were born wealthy we have to work most of our lives we may as well be happy doing what we do to bring in the mowlah.

ltl driver said:
thank you for the replys but my main concern is about the money. i know the p&d guys at my terminal dont make as much as the road driver is that the rule or the exception?
Example: Five hundred miles per night (schedule run) Five nights a week, Plus drop & hooks and fuel at top rate= $75,000-$80,000 per year.

ltl driver said:
This is the rule across the board. 99% of the time the road drivers make more.

Johnnybegood said:
I'd say more like 80%.........
You would have to work 70 hours a week every week for 12 months to make 70,000 per year. Do you really think 20% of the company's p&d employees is doing that. I think not!!!!!!!!!

Valerie said:
I can give a little insight to the family side of it. In the past my husband was running a Harrisburg, Fontana out of Memphis (we live 3 hours away in KY). It was hard since we have a farm and raise horses. He left on Sunday afternoons and got home who knows when on Friday's (usually that night). Sure good money BUT with our son now in the Navy, all yard work was left for me to do during the week, because I wanted the weekends to spend with him. We also do a lot of hunting and fishing when possible. Friday nights he would stay up late to wind down. Saturday and Sunday mornings I tried to keep the phones quiet so he could sleep in. We might actually have gotten to sit down to one meal together over the weekend. Now he runs a Gaffney-Salt Lake. He is home early Thursday mornings and doesn't leave out until Sunday. Life is much better. Another thing you need to thing about. CAN YOU LAY DOWN AND GET A RESTFUL SLEEP WITH YOUR PARTNER DRIVING!!! That is one of the biggest. You have to be able to trust your partner's driving or you will never get a restful night of sleep.

I did team here for the first time last week and I was paired with someone I did not know too well. It was hard to sleep the first two nights (I'm doing the day driving) but you get tired enough to sleep after that.

I kept thinking that we were going to roll over into a lake or river and that kept me up and when I did sleep it was very lite sleep.

It is a good run though, 4 days in a row with 3 nights and 2 full days off.

You're right about the trusting your partner issue, I do trust him now as a matter of fact I got 9 hours of sleep on his last leg.