Yellow | P / D people

gopher

TB Lurker
Credits
p/d people is your freight getting in on time,or how much of it is late freight.try to keep count.lets count how much is on time to how much is late.to see if this change is working.Was told last night by a dispatcher we are now back to load factor again .no longer worried about service.fill the wagons

gopher said:
p/d people is your freight getting in on time,or how much of it is late freight.try to keep count.lets count how much is on time to how much is late.to see if this change is working.Was told last night by a dispatcher we are now back to load factor again .no longer worried about service.fill the wagons
I will snoot around today and let ya know what I find out

gopher said:
From what I can see,99% of freight traveling through 231 (buff) is making service at 181 Nashua. I think the number drops down to 94% that goes through 120(Stbg). This is only my opinion, but I think 231 is pushing the freight out,because they are swamped. Beside having our own driver, we are getting Akron, Toledo,Cincinnati,Chicago, and Buffalo drivers here, on a daily basis.On the other hand, 120 sends up late loads that arrive after the fleet has been cut.Of course, we are so short handed, we can`t work this late freight, nor bring drivers back to reload.Let me just say this.The drivers that we get from 120 are on time ,every time.This is not about them, but the people behind the window. Unless we call ,and tell them that we need a certain load, it will sit until the next day.Most freight coming from Fla.or Ga. is late.:17:

REM williams said:
From what I can see,99% of freight traveling through 231 (buff) is making service at 181 Nashua. I think the number drops down to 94% that goes through 120(Stbg). This is only my opinion, but I think 231 is pushing the freight out,because they are swamped. Beside having our own driver, we are getting Akron, Toledo,Cincinnati,Chicago, and Buffalo drivers here, on a daily basis.On the other hand, 120 sends up late loads that arrive after the fleet has been cut.Of course, we are so short handed, we can`t work this late freight, nor bring drivers back to reload.Let me just say this.The drivers that we get from 120 are on time ,every time.This is not about them, but the people behind the window. Unless we call ,and tell them that we need a certain load, it will sit until the next day.Most freight coming from Fla.or Ga. is late.:17:
The freight coming from Fla. and Ga I bet comes through Winston (R69) and they stay out of drivers,equipment, all the time..........I have seen in the last several weeks about 30 trucks setting there with no JiffLock at all. Wonder who thought up the idea with the new blue trucks that wont jiff up?

remo williams said:
While I agree with the people behind the window REMO, besides no tractors at 120, we have been steadily getting our freight in late. Hear the freight is getting jammed out into the central stated, but don't know.

By the way, 181 load left at 7am this morning for ya.

Toxic said:
The freight coming from Fla. and Ga I bet comes through Winston (R69) and they stay out of drivers,equipment, all the time..........I have seen in the last several weeks about 30 trucks setting there with no JiffLock at all. Wonder who thought up the idea with the new blue trucks that wont jiff up?
speaking of the junk trucks, i mean the blue trucks. Wouldn't it be better to just buy pickups with 5th wheels? I bet they get better fuel mileage, and you could pull a hill better!

one reason we are out off jiffs is running screws to the rail with pups and coming back with a big box.alot of jiffs sitting in chicago rail,dallas rail.theyshould run only converter tractors to the rail not screws.

When I left 181 on Friday morning, I counted 8 Jiffs in the yard and 2 converter tractors with jiffs attached.When I asked why we had so many, the response was," If the tractors are broken down to use in the street,and the o/b load is on a 32,000 or less van, no need to jiff up." Go figure.I was always told ,if you come in with one, you leave with one.

remo williams said:
When I left 181 on Friday morning, I counted 8 Jiffs in the yard and 2 converter tractors with jiffs attached.When I asked why we had so many, the response was," If the tractors are broken down to use in the street,and the o/b load is on a 32,000 or less van, no need to jiff up." Go figure.I was always told ,if you come in with one, you leave with one.

Roadway definitely has a problem with equipment location.........And I have seen this get real bade since the COO.

gopher said:
one reason we are out off jiffs is running screws to the rail with pups and coming back with a big box.alot of jiffs sitting in chicago rail,dallas rail.theyshould run only converter tractors to the rail not screws.
Hey gopher.......the twin screw tractor that's assigned to 671, with 2 seats, was sent to 309 and ran the rail yard several times, before we got it back. I think it made it up to 313 also. I have heard that RDWY is getting several more twins. Thursday afternoon 671 got 3 new twins and they are now in service. We are starting to look more and more like USF Holland, every day!! DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey gopher.......the twin screw tractor that's assigned to 671, with 2 seats, was sent to 309 and ran the rail yard several times, before we got it back. I think it made it up to 313 also. I have heard that RDWY is getting several more twins. Thursday afternoon 671 got 3 new twins and they are now in service. We are starting to look more and more like USF Holland, every day!! DS.
I even got a few pictures of them DS but they did not turn out good....:17:

For the record

Got a P&D question here, had a driver ask what is the weight limit a man is allowed to move on a plt with a plt jack.

As faras running a big box with out a power unit being jiffed up I thought 25k was the limit but we don't have a scale so I take it they play it safe @ 25k.

Since this COO I noticed some lanes we're rockin competing with service with the Fed Ex, Pitt Ohio & Estes. Then there is some lanes the freight gets there on the service date but too late to be worked for the street. There needs to be some adjustments made I agree. Seems like some barns are doing what they feel and want while others trying to run it by the book.:nerd:

screwy louiey said:
Got a P&D question here, had a driver ask what is the weight limit a man is allowed to move on a plt with a plt jack.
That's a good question, there SL.........plenty of p+d guys here, maybe Toxic can help you with this. DS.

serta said:
While I agree with the people behind the window REMO, besides no tractors at 120, we have been steadily getting our freight in late. Hear the freight is getting jammed out into the central stated, but don't know.

By the way, 181 load left at 7am this morning for ya.
Problems just not at window at 120, also when drivers get dispatch out they get stuck in the system running 135, 211, and buff's freight. 120 know has problems running their freight. I'm sure this problem is happening all over.

screwy louiey said:

I always thought it depended on the jack rating and the individual. Some jacks rated at 4500lbs, some 5000, 5500, some even 6000lbs, but just because the jack can handle that much weight, doesn't mean the man can. Always use common sense. If you feel like part of your groin is heading for the floor, then the load is too heavy for you. Today, I had a 4600lb load of bricks that was an LFTD. One skid was no problem by myself, the other I needed 2 people to help me, and I am no slouch. ( For the record, the truck was angled such that it was an uphill roll to the liftgate.)

screwy louiey said:

As faras running a big box with out a power unit being jiffed up I thought 25k was the limit but we don't have a scale so I take it they play it safe @ 25k.

Since this COO I noticed some lanes we're rockin competing with service with the Fed Ex, Pitt Ohio & Estes. Then there is some lanes the freight gets there on the service date but too late to be worked for the street. There needs to be some adjustments made I agree. Seems like some barns are doing what they feel and want while others trying to run it by the book.:nerd:
If you look at Roadways own routing guide it states "shipments over 500lbs are the consignee's responsibility to unload".

What I would do is....

screwy louiey said:

I just seen this post here screwy louiey......
I have not heard of any limits at all about using a pallet jack and the weights...If there were Big R for sure would not tell us. But what I do is if I can move it I just do. And if i can't I get help where I am at. It has not went past that for me. I guess if they do not have help and I can not move it I would call in and ask for instructions. Don't let them bullie you! Not being able to do something is not the same as refusing to do something. But if I can get it done and not get hurt I just do it. It is better that way. Of course Big R will not tell you not to do this or that. They want you to do it all!! Or they will tell you not to and still expect you to do it. Just to cover there self. I guess if there were some rule somewhere that said a weight like 2500lbs is over the limit for one man. If I could move it I would. As long as I could do it and not get hurt. Our job is to hard to bring on trouble for no reason....
This is just my rule of thumb!!!

I hope this helps you out?

And as far as the weight limit with out a jiff lock.... that sounds good. We pull that much all the time pegg leged.....as long as you van is pretty full and not 1/2 mty

hilo@342 said:
If you look at Roadways own routing guide it states "shipments over 500lbs are the consignee's responsibility to unload".
That might be true hilo. I am not disagreeing with you. But you know what my dispatcher would say if I told a customer that and he said no???? Well I cant say it here :) That rule would never flush here at 671.... They would immediatly say the rule is gone gone...when you called in and told them the customer will not unload..

The most crazy thing we were told one time was with school books.... I forget the book company name... Harcort maybe but anyway we were told to do WHATEVER THEY SAID WITHOUT QUESTION AT ALL. Even if they wanted it un boxed taged and put in 500 different rooms. And hand truck it 10 miles through the halways....It did not matter and we better not call in and ask if we were to do that.... For real people this has happened to us at 671...

Thank You United Rentals

Toxic said:

The most crazy thing we were told one time was with school books.... I forget the book company name... Harcort maybe but anyway we were told to do WHATEVER THEY SAID WITHOUT QUESTION AT ALL. Even if they wanted it un boxed taged and put in 500 different rooms. And hand truck it 10 miles through the halways....It did not matter and we better not call in and ask if we were to do that.... For real people this has happened to us at 671...

Toxic speaking of books they rented trucks with lift gates and sent me out with a van with a lift gate slammed full of books. Got it done by 2 o'clock :showoff: :showoff: but what I did was go to United Rentals and rented a power pallet jack and gave the TM the reciept for the rental:ranting:. Needless to say they put me back on my peddle run but as a famous freight man quote "work the freight, don't let the freight work you":rofl2:
Got the job done so I don't see a problem, looks like I'll be filing this one on my long form taxes.