Yellow | P / D people

in the navy

Had a shipment a couple of years ago to the Naval Base inside delivery upstairs. Our TM @ that time was trying to break it off on this one driver as he said it could not be done. You know that prison furniture as he told the TM it was our policy anything up more than 4 steps will not be delivered.

TM got pissed and sent 2 men to deliver this stuff up a flight of stairs. long one short one both guyz wound up getting hurt:roll1: :roll1:.

only question was there is 20,000 military guys on that base and you mean to tell me the TM couldn't request a working party to unload that trailer. Heck I would have drove past the brig and got a few immates :busted_blue:

Toxic said:
That might be true hilo. I am not disagreeing with you. But you know what my dispatcher would say if I told a customer that and he said no???? Well I cant say it here :) That rule would never flush here at 671.... They would immediatly say the rule is gone gone...when you called in and told them the customer will not unload..

The most crazy thing we were told one time was with school books.... I forget the book company name... Harcort maybe but anyway we were told to do WHATEVER THEY SAID WITHOUT QUESTION AT ALL. Even if they wanted it un boxed taged and put in 500 different rooms. And hand truck it 10 miles through the halways....It did not matter and we better not call in and ask if we were to do that.... For real people this has happened to us at 671...

Toxic,

Think maybe it was McGraw-Hill? We are told that whatever the school wants the school gets.....even if they want it balanced on the flagpole on the roof. Here in NY City, we send teams out on liftgate straight trucks to deliver the books. Almost every school has steps, and it hardly ever stays on the first floor. We even have some schools that have 2 flights of steps just to get into the building. 2 years ago, we had a team leave 360 ctns in a school lobby. The next day I was picked with another driver to bring those books up 6 flights of steps. Now mind you, I weigh over 300lbs and am a regular smoker. My driver supe at the time chose me out of spite. Needless to say, 10 hours later, I carried 40 boxes up to the top floor and the next day they had to send 4 more guys to finish the job. By the way, that driver supe was recently forced to resign.....what a shame.

screwy louiey said:
Got a P&D question here, had a driver ask what is the weight limit a man is allowed to move on a plt with a plt jack.

As faras running a big box with out a power unit being jiffed up I thought 25k was the limit but we don't have a scale so I take it they play it safe @ 25k.

Since this COO I noticed some lanes we're rockin competing with service with the Fed Ex, Pitt Ohio & Estes. Then there is some lanes the freight gets there on the service date but too late to be worked for the street. There needs to be some adjustments made I agree. Seems like some barns are doing what they feel and want while others trying to run it by the book.:nerd:
I was originally responding to your question regarding the weight limits on moving a pallet on a pallet jack. We too get school books and if the pallet weighs more than 500 lbs we break it down and two wheel it. But I NEVER do stairs. I'll put it wherever they want it, as long as there is an elevator. I've never had anyone make a issue of it.

Guess I been llucky that all the books go the warehouse here but that can all change next year:shock: better get Roadway credit with united rentals just in case

Hilo we used to live unload @ Sysco foods and we would get plts with the sterno and they would let you operator their power jacks. They would say you can pay a lumper to pull it off the trailer for you. Those food warehouses are the worst sometimes. I remember getting a rail box from the west coast from Del Monte foods. 40K of ketchupon the floor from a slipsheet. Can you say spot & drop trailer please.

What gets me is the Hardwood flooring the people want you to deliver thru the house. No inside delivery I will put in the garage.

Animo916 said:
Toxic,

Think maybe it was McGraw-Hill? We are told that whatever the school wants the school gets.....even if they want it balanced on the flagpole on the roof. Here in NY City, we send teams out on liftgate straight trucks to deliver the books. Almost every school has steps, and it hardly ever stays on the first floor. We even have some schools that have 2 flights of steps just to get into the building. 2 years ago, we had a team leave 360 ctns in a school lobby. The next day I was picked with another driver to bring those books up 6 flights of steps. Now mind you, I weigh over 300lbs and am a regular smoker. My driver supe at the time chose me out of spite. Needless to say, 10 hours later, I carried 40 boxes up to the top floor and the next day they had to send 4 more guys to finish the job. By the way, that driver supe was recently forced to resign.....what a shame.
It took you boys at brooklyn that long to get rid of him? Hmmm, I was in super awe of you guys before, now just in awe.:Banane01:

You never know

Well I thought it was just a local thing. But I was wrong. :17: :17: But they (as far as I know) never sent out more that one driver with them here. And several time they sent it out on a pup and left the lift gate pup there at the dock empty...They are not that stupid (I hope) they were just trying to be a pain in the :moon2:

serta said:
It took you boys at brooklyn that long to get rid of him? Hmmm, I was in super awe of you guys before, now just in awe.:Banane01:
Brooklyn? New York? Delivering freight??????? No way...:hysterical: :hysterical:
Call me a heart doctor..... I just collapsed..............

Toxic said:
Brooklyn? New York? Delivering freight??????? No way...:hysterical: :hysterical:
Call me a heart doctor..... I just collapsed..............

Toxic,

Just for the record....187 (the Brooklyn Terminal) accounts for 10% of Roadway's total revenue. When we heard that, we asked if we could get 10% of the new equipment. Ha!!!!! 10% of our equipment are still pumpkins. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Animo916 said:
Toxic,

Just for the record....187 (the Brooklyn Terminal) accounts for 10% of Roadway's total revenue. When we heard that, we asked if we could get 10% of the new equipment. Ha!!!!! 10% of our equipment are still pumpkins. :notworthy: :notworthy:
I'll vouch for that, you guys do have the worse equipment in the system.

picture

When I go into work tonight I will take a pix of the line of city trucks and post them...At least the ones that are back in off the street...

PS we have a sca well one who does not pay dues...:ranting2: :ranting2: I will try not to get his in the picture....

Toxic said:
When I go into work tonight I will take a pix of the line of city trucks and post them...At least the ones that are back in off the street...

PS we have a sca well one who does not pay dues...:ranting2: :ranting2: I will try not to get his in the picture....

Thats just not right! Wants the benefits of representation, but not pay for it. sheesh.

City Trucks

Toxic said:
Here is a pix of about 1/3rd of the city trucks @ 671

dap3.jpg

Animo916 said:
Toxic,

Hey Animo....you guys have any C cabs left?? I heard they were still used in some of the local operations?? DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey Animo....you guys have any C cabs left?? I heard they were still used in some of the local operations?? DS.

DS,

check posts 29 & 30. Also we have about four 20 year old Ford conventional tractors as well.

McGraw-Hill
Ironicly, I ran into this today. I had 137 ctns going to a school in Mobile. You have to go up about 6 steps into the foyer, and then about another 8 steps to the main hallway. (well, that's what they wanted anyway) Dispatch told me to do what they asked, and I flat out refused to bump almost 6000lb.up those steps. I told em that from what I knew that the contract with McGraw-Hill was to the "first """accessable"""door". Backing down a sidewalk and up two flights of stairs is not an accessable door. The custodians put them in the foyer and I never got off the TR. I'm too old for this shhhhhhh um stuff. :)
JW

JWor said:
McGraw-Hill
Ironicly, I ran into this today. I had 137 ctns going to a school in Mobile. You have to go up about 6 steps into the foyer, and then about another 8 steps to the main hallway. (well, that's what they wanted anyway) Dispatch told me to do what they asked, and I flat out refused to bump almost 6000lb.up those steps. I told em that from what I knew that the contract with McGraw-Hill was to the "first """accessable"""door". Backing down a sidewalk and up two flights of stairs is not an accessable door. The custodians put them in the foyer and I never got off the TR. I'm too old for this shhhhhhh um stuff. :)
JW
6000lbs up steps? NEVER NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS :)

JWor said:
McGraw-Hill
JW

Unfortunately, we are told that McGraw pays top dollar for all the services we provide to the schools. Whatever the school wants the school gets. With 6000lbs, you had the right to ask for additional help (another driver). As I mentioned before, at 187 (Bklyn,NY), all bookloads go on liftgate straight trucks with 2 men. Come down to Bklyn, we can learn you how to get 'r done.

The new slogan "ROADWAY-your way" says it all. Grandfather clock no problem put it in the attic hardwood flooring, no problem back of the house. Back problem no problem we'll have our driver do it. It takes a special breed to do this job:showoff: