PA. I-81 Fatal Swift Semi/Pickup Crash.

while we don't...

...have all the facts yet, it looks like an innocent auto driver died, and the trucker survived. Even if the trucker was "cut off" by a car, that's no excuse for taking any action that could result in crossing the median.

Also, notice that, in addition to the Swift, there's a flatbed straddling the median. I bet he was speeding and/or tailgating not far behind the Swift, and he bailed out to avoid a collision.

Am I correct to assume the Swift had a governor and a qualcomm? If so, it will be interesting to see what was going on prior to the accident.

The Pennsylvania State Police is a disgrace. They sit in the median chatting, catching an occasional automobile, but they do not do what it takes to catch speeding/tailgating trucks. They have no creativity or innovation, and I understand their detection equipment is way behind the times.

Sorry the trouble with most early crash reports on the internet.
Is the party reporting about the crash,leave a lot of information to ones imagination.

I'll keep my eyes open for an update.

Sorry the trouble with most early crash reports on the internet.
Is the party reporting about the crash,leave a lot of information to ones imagination.

I'll keep my eyes open for an update.

It is a complete melt down here

Gee what do you expect with so many vehicles in this crash?
The authorities must have a lot of the highway closed,for the investigation,and clean up.
If your on the highway I hope you have a full tank of gas,and some way to keep yourself from dozing off.

Not only did this close I81 in Carlisle, Pa for hours Friday afternoon, there is also a major car show going on at the fairgrounds in Carlisle at the same time. In the neighboorhood of 5000 corvettes are roaming around. But..... this is not the first time a accident and car show have virtually shut Central Pa down.

...have all the facts yet, it looks like an innocent auto driver died, and the trucker survived. Even if the trucker was "cut off" by a car, that's no excuse for taking any action that could result in crossing the median.

Also, notice that, in addition to the Swift, there's a flatbed straddling the median. I bet he was speeding and/or tailgating not far behind the Swift, and he bailed out to avoid a collision.

Am I correct to assume the Swift had a governor and a qualcomm? If so, it will be interesting to see what was going on prior to the accident.

The Pennsylvania State Police is a disgrace. They sit in the median chatting, catching an occasional automobile, but they do not do what it takes to catch speeding/tailgating trucks. They have no creativity or innovation, and I understand their detection equipment is way behind the times.

That flatbed driver was charged with DUI. He had his 6year old kid in the cab with him. What is wrong with this picture!!??

9 chances out of 10 that Swift driver was inexperienced. No one that has experience and values his time would work for the wages that Swift pays. Having said that everyone has to start somewhere.

One thing for sure if the flatbed driver was DUI and did have his 6 year old son with him, he was not setting a good example for his son. The alleged DUI flatbed driiver should most definately lose his livelihood.

Both of these drivers and likely the pickup truck driver contributed to this tragic event.Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If you look at the pictures it is not a Swift tractor it is somebody else but it is still a black eye to the industry

I found an update report on this crash.
Apparent fatal crash blocks I-81 at Carlisle - PennLive.com

large_fatal_crash_i81.jpg

Swift has many color tractors. They have new ones periodically (Mostly KWs) that are lined up in their big facility in Columbus,Ohio. These are most likely sold to OOs. They are made right down the road from Columbus which is why they are delivered here probably.

Swift has many color tractors. They have new ones periodically (Mostly KWs) that are lined up in their big facility in Columbus,Ohio. These are most likely sold to OOs. They are made right down the road from Columbus which is why they are delivered here probably.
Read the door placards

Maybe where you are.All the Swift trucks I have ever seen are white with the blue stripe,Now they are all Volvos.Never seen a KW with Swift on the door.

Like usual you are back with useless posts.

Well hay than,the reason I stated a swift unit was involved in this crash.
Is because the trailer has very large letters on the side of it that spells out the (SWIFT BRAND)

I have stated many times in past crash posts that some of the information in on-line internet reports are missing.
I have a very hard time trying to figure out most of the states they were in,as the reports only give the city,towns,villages,or counties,and the state is nowhere in the report.
The reason I only post internet crash reports with photos is because just the printed reports are to hard to figure out what may have happened.
At least with one,or more photos the old saying comes into play.
Photos are worth a thousand words.

Photos were also the reason I always carried a camera with me when I was a city driver.
Photos of the few crashes I was involved in over my 45 year trucking career were a real life saver.

Witness never really know,or remember what they saw.
However a photo never changes.

Well hay than,the reason I stated a swift unit was involved in this crash.
Is because the trailer has very large letters on the side of it that spells out the (SWIFT BRAND)

I have stated many times in past crash posts that some of the information in on-line internet reports are missing.
I have a very hard time trying to figure out most of the states they were in,as the reports only give the city,towns,villages,or counties,and the state is nowhere in the report.
The reason I only post internet crash reports with photos is because just the printed reports are to hard to figure out what may have happened.
At least with one,or more photos the old saying comes into play.
Photos are worth a thousand words.

Photos were also the reason I always carried a camera with me when I was a city driver.
Photos of the few crashes I was involved in over my 45 year trucking career were a real life saver.

Witness never really know,or remember what they saw.
However a photo never changes.

And as any Shyster Att.will tell you.It's all ways the Big Trucks fault.

There, as we well know, are MANY Owner Operators leased on pulling Company Trailers and while some O. O. Trucks are governed because of company mandates, some are not.
Still though regardless of who owns the Tractors, the blight upon the Company of the Trailer is ever more negative.
The driver pulling for Swift should be charged with Vehicular Homicide or equivalent and should not be driving anymore ever.
The Flatbed hauler will most likely lose his driving privilege and justifiably so simply because of having a Minor in the vehicle thereby endangering the SAFETY of the Child while Drunk Driving.
I'm glad to see though that the Flatbed driver at least left the road and didn't become another wreck to opposing traffic.

Not every wreck, accident, fatality where a Big Rig is involved is the fault of the Big Rig.
There are usually MANY extenuating circumstances to negate the responsibility of the Big Rig driver FOR the occurrence.
MOST accidents involving 4 wheelers are the fault of the 4 wheeler, NOT the Big Rig regardless of what any shyster lawyer/attorney claims.
Lawyers/Attorneys have Lawyers/Attorneys too as most Judges used to be one or the other.