Having a driver use a jack is useless!
Having a jeep driver plus a bill ***** is far
more productive. Supervisors that can't figure
that out need to do us a favor and leave Conway.:ranting2:

fly_by_night said:
Having a jeep driver plus a bill ***** is far
more productive. Supervisors that can't figure
that out need to do us a favor and leave Conway.:ranting2:
this is the best method as long as the talking is keep to a minimum.i was in xcn one night and ran the bill for two guys and we did 8 breaks and loaded 5 nose to tail.was in xin and did the something i ran the motor and he ran the bill we did 6 break and loaded 4 pures.

linehaul said:
i have a question for anyone working a night fac. it used to be that if you arrived and there were no jeeps available, you would run bills for someone untill they cut someone and a jeep opened up. Now it seems they want you to start breaking a trailer with a pallet jack untill a jeep opens up. If you have a dock with 150 doors it seems stupid to start breaking a trailer with a pallet jack. There is only one supervisor who wants this to happen. I was wandering if this is becoming normal or if this is just one of his ideas?? I was asked to start breaking a trailer with a pallet jack and had to pallet jack 5 2,500 pound skids, through a maze of staged frieght and moving jeeps, down 13 doors. I dont mind pallet jacking a 2,500 pound skid in a trailer on a route because it is the only way, but moving them down the dock seems stupid. Two of the pallets were turned side by side so I had to flag down a jeep to pull one out so i could get the jack in. He asked what i need to jeep for and i explained, he said moving 2,500 pound skids around the dock should be no problem and i had to explain again that i need to get one pulled off so i could get the pallet jack underneath. I dont know if he is really that stupid as to not understand you cant get a jack under 2 side by side skids or what the deal is. Back, to the question, is anyone else breaking trailers with pallet jacks at fac's or running bills untill a jeep opens up?
What I like to do on my time off is to work out constantly and condition my body to become a better employee. I figure if Im in tip top shape I can move these heavy skids with a pallet jack when the need arises. This is what the company needs me to do, and by god I do it. Lots of weight training. Also I run 4 miles a day so I can run when Im on my peddle route. I run to my truck between stops so I can get my stops off quicker. I actually carry a pair of running shoes with me so when I leave the terminal I can put them on. I also take in a lot of carbs in the morning so my energy level is up and I also dont have to waste a half hour of company time taking a lunch, its my way of giving back to the company for all they do for me. In turn, all this working out keeps me from wasting company money, cause I have to go to the doctor a lot less cause Im in tip top shape. Theres nothing that makes me happier than seeing my customers smiling face, and the pride I feel, knowing I got my freight to them on time. Its the Con-Way dream. I urge all of you to live the dream, live the Con-way lifestyle. My goal is to collect as many blue star cards as I can before I retire with our great company and great pension plan. I really dont understand all the negative attitude that you guys are bringing to these forums. Its not going to get me down, Im living the dream. Yahoooooo!!!!!!!!!

Con way freight's pallet jacks.

It's all fine ShakyJake till you blow out a knee with a 2500 plt and see how the company treats you , Just ask me how FXFE has treated me pal. I moved 4 @ 10,000 at a job site and got hurt , to bad.

I Remeber

Back in 1985 when I first started at Conway in Palatine, Illinios we would do that at that place and they thought they were doing you a favor by giving you a pallet jack or a 4 wheel cart and then do a big road run 22 miles to Aurora Ill and break trailes with pallet jacks. By the time the night was over and you were bulled wipped to a pulp and you would have to walk across the parking lot to punch in that you were dropping trailers and walk back out to do this. I was asked by the manage how I liked the job and I flat out told him that it was the worst job I ever had. I never returned to that company and I see the guys around here just beat to the bone on there routes. Concrete Cowboys didn't keep me.

:shutup2: :duck: :silenced:
linehaul said:
i have a question for anyone working a night fac. it used to be that if you arrived and there were no jeeps available, you would run bills for someone untill they cut someone and a jeep opened up. Now it seems they want you to start breaking a trailer with a pallet jack untill a jeep opens up. If you have a dock with 150 doors it seems stupid to start breaking a trailer with a pallet jack. There is only one supervisor who wants this to happen. I was wandering if this is becoming normal or if this is just one of his ideas?? I was asked to start breaking a trailer with a pallet jack and had to pallet jack 5 2,500 pound skids, through a maze of staged frieght and moving jeeps, down 13 doors. I dont mind pallet jacking a 2,500 pound skid in a trailer on a route because it is the only way, but moving them down the dock seems stupid. Two of the pallets were turned side by side so I had to flag down a jeep to pull one out so i could get the jack in. He asked what i need to jeep for and i explained, he said moving 2,500 pound skids around the dock should be no problem and i had to explain again that i need to get one pulled off so i could get the pallet jack underneath. I dont know if he is really that stupid as to not understand you cant get a jack under 2 side by side skids or what the deal is. Back, to the question, is anyone else breaking trailers with pallet jacks at fac's or running bills untill a jeep opens up?
??????????????????? Man I just read this post. I don't want the Mods coming at me so I'll just shut my mouth

Pushing a skid with a pallet jack is one thing. But unloading a trailer at reship with a pallet jack requires pulling, not pushing extremely heavy skids over the dock plate. With legs and arms bent, lean back extending your legs and arms at the same time, using this muscle reaction to... to... TO INJURE YOUR BACK! Someone needs to communicate just how dangerous this motion is and how easy it would be to collapse a disk in your lower back. This is an unnatural range of motion and is not supported by any muscle group or company issued back belt.

apparently shakeyjake has not been in the freight business long.this running :Jogging-Cow: out and back to the truck is the sort of thing that makes management set that 4 bill an hour prodction rate. i dont care who you are you cant do 4 an hour on a rural pedal that is usually 200 mile run or more you can do it in a big city no problem but there are only so many big cities shakyjake the more you do for them the more the will expect of you so just slow down and smell the roses:Bondage: :sheep: :Jogging-Cow:

Ok all you drivers out there, I want you to read Merdock's post and believe it, IT HAPPENED TO ME !!!! First of all the conway issued backbelt is USELESS don't believe it then go see your nearest Neurosurgen or Chiropractor. And for those of you that do wear that worthless backbelt wait till you do something at home and have a back blowout as I did and see how you are treated by Conway. You are a HUMAN not a MACHINE, Conway will kick you to the curb faster than you can fill out your pre-trip inspection form. And trust me that conway has the BEST lawyers in the land and they know ALL the LOOP HOLES that the Governemt has to protect against ADA...It happened to me in 2005, I suffered the final step to a lower back injury solely contributed from my job and CON-way threw me to the curb afterwards !!!! So everytime conway says grab that pallet jack it is proven that only 4 muscles are needed to answer them back...:tongue0002: :tongue0002: :tongue0002: :tongue0002: ....No words needed...Pallet jacks do have a use and that is possiblt moving a skid from 1 side of a peddle trailer to the other and NOT for breaking a crammed N jammed trailer at a FAC with 165 doors!!! Don't let it happen to you too...TRUST ME !!!! Happy Trails to all..

Well if management would get there head out of their a$$ They would see that things move faster having a guy with the bills, a marker, and a ball point pen, and a tow motor operator. You then have the guy on the floor mark freight and sign it on if it's in that sector.

As far as pulling a pallet jack ever wonder why we have so many back injuries???

And if I'm on a motor and see someone pulling a jack I tell them to drop it and ask where it goes.. Nobody wants to pull one so help your fellow co-worker out you just might save him an injury which he will get a letter for.

BLAZERS BUDDY said:
Well if management would get there head out of their a$$ They would see that things move faster having a guy with the bills, a marker, and a ball point pen, and a tow motor operator. You then have the guy on the floor mark freight and sign it on if it's in that sector.

As far as pulling a pallet jack ever wonder why we have so many back injuries???

And if I'm on a motor and see someone pulling a jack I tell them to drop it and ask where it goes.. Nobody wants to pull one so help your fellow co-worker out you just might save him an injury which he will get a letter for.
thats the way it should work. it would make things a whole lot easer to get the job done.