TForce | Pardon Me, Who is Running this Company?

pjmartin1998

TB Lurker
Credits
First, let me start by saying that while I am not an employee of UPS Freight, I have been married to one of its employees for many years now. My spouse who has worked for MC/Overnite/UPS for quite some time started first on the dock, then moved to P & D, and now he is an LTL driver.

I have to ask, are you employees irritated with this company right now? It's like the blind leading the blind out there, and apparently, no managing skill sets are required for the job of manager, any manager position. Who in the blazes is running this company, Forest Gump?

I have seen some backwards#$% managing strategies in my life, but nothing to the likes of the level of incompetence that is being displayed, at least along the west coast! Since when do LTL drivers break their own trailer, work the dock and best of all, work as P & D drivers to fill in the gaps in a terminal? Well, if the group of schmuck Execs who thought up this "brilliant idea", along with the laundry list of other "brilliant ideas" that have popped up lately, wish for the LTL drivers to blow through their 70 hours a week (especially in chaining season) pushing freight and waiting for hours for their trailers to be ready at these "minihubs", then I am sure the same Execs won't mind when their tractors and trailers full of freight are left at the side of the road because the LTL drivers have blown through their 70 hours and can drive no more (it's the law)---- more power to you Execs!

This is just one of the many disturbing turn of events as of late. LA to Sacramento bid drivers being sent 3 days out to Medford (why bid on a run?), OR, cutting a crucial Portland run out of Salt Lake so now the Portland freight is just stacking up on the docks, OR, Sacramento LTL drivers being turned into Sleeper Teams, OR, the half#$% computer training materials being sent out for a little light toilet reading, OR, 6 day runs out of Boise (can you say burnt out and out of hours?)....I can go on and on and on.....

This is out of control! As a person in the business of operations management and business analysis, I am absolutely astonished by the mismanaged and ineffective way this company has been managed since the "merger". I am not even sure who is running the show.

Overnite/UPS may not want a union in their midsts, but anymore poor communication, mismangement, lies, deception and BS like I have seen displayed over the past 3-4 weeks and they won't need to violate the employees civil rights by sending out harassing letters and CD's, because employees will be lining up just to sign up with the teamsters. That's what I call a great strategy by the Execs --- treat your employees like crap so they won't join the teamsters, what a brilliant idea, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way!

I want to get paid what these guys are getting paid, lots of many to "brainstorm" and implement half baked ideas.

pjmartin1998 said:
First, let me start by saying that while I am not an employee of UPS Freight, I have been married to one of its employees for many years now. My spouse who has worked for MC/Overnite/UPS for quite some time started first on the dock, then moved to P & D, and now he is an LTL driver.

I have to ask, are you employees irritated with this company right now? It's like the blind leading the blind out there, and apparently, no managing skill sets are required for the job of manager, any manager position. Who in the blazes is running this company, Forest Gump?

I have seen some backwards#$% managing strategies in my life, but nothing to the likes of the level of incompetence that is being displayed, at least along the west coast! Since when do LTL drivers break their own trailer, work the dock and best of all, work as P & D drivers to fill in the gaps in a terminal? Well, if the group of schmuck Execs who thought up this "brilliant idea", along with the laundry list of other "brilliant ideas" that have popped up lately, wish for the LTL drivers to blow through their 70 hours a week (especially in chaining season) pushing freight and waiting for hours for their trailers to be ready at these "minihubs", then I am sure the same Execs won't mind when their tractors and trailers full of freight are left at the side of the road because the LTL drivers have blown through their 70 hours and can drive no more (it's the law)---- more power to you Execs!

This is just one of the many disturbing turn of events as of late. LA to Sacramento bid drivers being sent 3 days out to Medford (why bid on a run?), OR, cutting a crucial Portland run out of Salt Lake so now the Portland freight is just stacking up on the docks, OR, Sacramento LTL drivers being turned into Sleeper Teams, OR, the half#$% computer training materials being sent out for a little light toilet reading, OR, 6 day runs out of Boise (can you say burnt out and out of hours?)....I can go on and on and on.....

This is out of control! As a person in the business of operations management and business analysis, I am absolutely astonished by the mismanaged and ineffective way this company has been managed since the "merger". I am not even sure who is running the show.

Overnite/UPS may not want a union in their midsts, but anymore poor communication, mismangement, lies, deception and BS like I have seen displayed over the past 3-4 weeks and they won't need to violate the employees civil rights by sending out harassing letters and CD's, because employees will be lining up just to sign up with the teamsters. That's what I call a great strategy by the Execs --- treat your employees like crap so they won't join the teamsters, what a brilliant idea, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way!

I want to get paid what these guys are getting paid, lots of many to "brainstorm" and implement half baked ideas.
Great Post, Your Hired!!!! Welcome to the happy upsf family!!!!!!!!

DAMN.....You go.....Well there are many to thank....But if you read around alittle here, you will get a hint pretty quick who we all feel is at the controls of all of this....But as long as we keep in mind who our daddy is and which side our toast is buttered on they will get'er all fixed up!!!!

Thanks...

Thanks for the welcome Valerie, BusterNite and greezy trucker.

As you can see, I am not a spouse who will be seen and not heard.

Honestly greezer trucker, I am not sure if anyone here knows who their daddy is anymore? My spouse has a TM that went to some type of training for part of the week and then took vacation the rest of the week. In the mean time, his terminal is falling apart around him. He has an Ops Mngr who is dysfunctional, disorganized and unable to multitask and this man is in desperate need of personality and a brain. Picture the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz without the sunny disposition and you can get a pretty good idea. The Ops Mngr informed my spouse that the "managers" cannot complain to any of the Execs about anything because they want to think everything is great, so no one in Virginia to wherever is getting any real feedback. What is the purpose of an "Open Door Policy" and/or the elicitation of employee feedback and comments (referred to in handbook) if they have no interest in hearing the truth?

The truth hurts sometimes and when a company’s moral plummets in the short amount of time as it has with this merger, then it is time for management to do some strategizing and actually manage the resistance to the changes that are occurring by truly listening to their employees, their spouses and their concerns. That would mean that the Leo's, Matt’s, Mike’s, Mark’s and whoever else would need to spend a little more time with their employees than 30 minutes every 6 months to year. Either that, or they need to hire the right folks who actually have practical experience in project management, training and development, change management and facilitation, who can effectively work through some of the issues and work with the Execs to develop new strategies to put their employees at ease. Change happens and not everyone will like some of the changes; however, there is a more effective way to brainstorm and test out new ideas that might save time, or budget, or, they might not. The problem is that none of these people are qualified to do it – do it correctly.
:duh:

I can understand. My husband is on a sleeper team and has been with Overnite over 15 years now. There are some here that don't like when we voice our opinions, but our marriage has always been a team effort. I try to keep up to date on his job, just as much as he keeps up to date on mine.

Good luck. I know there are many terminals that are worse than the others.

Valerie said:
I can understand. My husband is on a sleeper team and has been with Overnite over 15 years now. There are some here that don't like when we voice our opinions, but our marriage has always been a team effort. I try to keep up to date on his job, just as much as he keeps up to date on mine.

Good luck. I know there are many terminals that are worse than the others.
Hey women make the wheels on the bus go round and round.

good posting going on ,,,

Well when ALL our managment is sooooo into us NOT going teamster everything else takes the back seat. What was the cost of the ''DVD'' ??? we need shrink wrap and air bags on the dock...!!!

Welcome pjmartin1988. You should be our CEO. By the way open door policy is when you make a suggestion or a brain storm and they slam the door at you.

Yes Sir Ladys are always welcome.

I also give you a welcome aboard the truckingboards,Pjmartin1988.
Come on now anyone thats worked at Overnite/UPS Freight,for over a year knows by now if you have a suggestion.
You have to come at it as good economical money saving,and or safety.
But also you have to give it a little time for the TM to come up with your idea, so he can take all the credit for it.

Thats the way it works at my Terminal.

We'er all used to it,we don't care who gets the credit as long as it gets done.

Thats the trucking game.
You gotta remember who the players,are also the rules of engagement.
In the end the couch takes all the credit.

Pjmartin1988, Just so you know, I loved your thread, post, So much I had to read it again. Coming from a spouce who does not work for the company, You hit every nail on the head. I can go to bed now with a smile on my face.
Goodnight!

BusterNite said:
Pjmartin1988, Just so you know, I loved your thread, post, So much I had to read it again. Coming from a spouce who does not work for the company, You hit every nail on the head. I can go to bed now with a smile on my face.
Goodnight!

..... :biglaugh: ......

pjmartin1998 said:

Myself and another LA driver were up north in the hotel on our "bid" run, and got our call 4 hours late. When I got to the terminal the dispatcher told me that he had to talk Richmond out of making us stay up there untill the next night instead of sending us home with mt's. And said this is what they want to do from now on, now since they took(there's that word again) our 2nd layover pay(10 hours pay at top rate in the hotel). I wonder what else they have taken without letting us know about, you see, nothing is in writing so they can do what ever they want for now. By now you all know where I stand and I also am confused with who is running the company. what's it going to take before the pro-company guys take what is going on in the west seriously. I'm done talking to regional management, they are not listening. If I hear of another take I'm going to explode! By the way, welcome pj.

I read all these posts that your run here and there, it takes 4/5 hrs work the dock, 4/5 hrs back. Now this might be a stupid question, but do you guys take breaks and lunches or what? I see some of your boys at the local coffee shop. They blaze in and out so quick, can't hardly get a hows business going from them.

it is either on auto-piolot or self-distruct. Ours is not the only buttons being pushed. Nice hearing from you pj , it is pleasant to see some manners here but i hope you let us know how you really feel. you got a great attitude. thank you.